Sightron S6 field target

Have you looked at the new
field target Falcon T50i 5-50x60 ED MOA

Certainly amazing specs.... 😊

Matthias

Mfctr.:

Seller in the UK:

That's a bummer about the additional delay. I hope there aren't some issues with the initial batch of scopes???

That Falcon T50i looks really nice! I might end up going for this depending on price. I would rather have the Sightron for their warranty support, though...

Edit: OK, the Falcon scope is off the table. With a $500 price, I can't imagine the glass quality being very good.

What I find so attractive with the Falcon T50i 5-50x60 ED is the combination!:
▪ An extreme high top magnification for XLR (extreme long range): 50x
COMBINED WITH
▪ a field of view at the bottom end wide enough for closer range hunting: 24.8ft

➠ This makes the scope one of those rare all-round scopes — this one usable for XLR and close range hunting — and of course what it was specifically designed for: FT

What I'd like to see for XLR is more than the 70 moa of elevation adjustment maybe.... (Yeah, I got to find a hair in the soup, otherwise it would be even harder to stop spending money on this hobby! 😆).

Matthias

I have been waiting since the middle of March and paid in full since that date. Recently requested my funds returned. I decided to try Sightron's S6 5-30x56 SFP. Would of preferred the Sightron S6 10-60 x 56 in SFP but that receive date may be not set in stone either.
So far I like the clarity of S6 and surprised it also had a factory 16x mark on it. On the factory parallax nob you get all the yardage from 10 yards to 55 yards in about a 1" of wheel space. Definitely will be looking for a wheel or comma that fit the 1.525 nob. The IR has 11 settings and a dead space between clicks. To my eyes the single dot doesn't change from click to click in intensity as much as I expected. The full ranging capability has a very narrow window from yard to yard. This weekend if the weather co-operates I am planning on trying it at it's first FT match. That might be interesting until I replace that factory 1 1/2" wheel. I have owned a lot of scopes over the last 20 years such as Big Nikko's, Sightrons, Hawk Sidewinders w/ED glass. Falcons and a bunch of Althons. This S6 has the best glass I have ever looked through hands down and the MOA reticle suits my old eyes very well.

Also looking forward to the new S6 FT. Bummer to hear about the additional delay but it's encouraging to hear that the glass is so good on the S6 version you are working with now. Curious to hear how that match went with the stock focus knob? For the price, I'd love to see them add an auto shut off for the IR. I'm about 50/50 on shutting the IR off on my S3 after a match. And, if they could lighten the S3 sun shade a bit it would be nice.

Also looking forward to the new S6 FT. Bummer to hear about the additional delay but it's encouraging to hear that the glass is so good on the S6 version you are working with now. Curious to hear how that match went with the stock focus knob? For the price, I'd love to see them add an auto shut off for the IR. I'm about 50/50 on shutting the IR off on my S3 after a match. And, if they could lighten the S3 sun shade a bit it would be nice.
Weather failed me Sunday so will try again at MRA on the 29th. Forgot to mention the S6 Owners manual is not much to write home about but you do get a Sun shade and Lens caps in the kit.

Until today I have been very impressed with the Sightron S6 5-30x56 SFP. I just received the wheel I had made for it and set out to put some range marks on it. Things went well until about 40 yards. Up until that time I had my marks setup at yard intervals from 10 to 20 yards. From there on I planned my marks to be every 2 1/2 yards. From 40 to 55 yards I could do no better than 5 yard intervals. My S111 could do a little better than what this S6 is doing and I'm kind disappointed with that aspect. Maybe it is just my 77 year old eyes that is causing the problem but at 16X again it could be just too much for 16X to comprehend. This is still a good scope but maybe not as Field target worthy as I had hoped it would be at 16 power. For those of you that are waiting for the S6 10 - 60 x 56 I would ask Sightron if the new S6 scope will range find accurately in the 10-55 yards FT game. Get a documented positive answer before you waste almost $2000.00 is what I would recommend.

Sorry to here about the yardage issues. Sounds like a similar setup to my current S3 and I use 5yd intervals from 40-55yds at 16x. I've adopted some bracketing to help. Sightron says they've added a cam to the adjustable parallax so that it increases the throw (and spacing) from 40-60yds but (like you suggested) I think I'll wait to see that in action before I make a purchase. I hope it works as advertised though... better glass and more spacing would be awesome.

Glad to see Sightron finally incorporating key features I called for over a decade ago in a field target scope. However they could have done even better had the S6 field target scope not been designed to also appeal to rimfire competitors, thereby compromising the S6 model's field target range-finding capabilities. As taken from their website, with key shortcomings in yellow-

SIGHTRON redesigned the parallax cam system with 330º of total rotation. It is optimized for precise Field Target parallax adjustments ranging from 9-300 yards with 91º of parallax correction in the critical 40-60yrd target range.

Too bad they didn't read the chapter titled Optical Delusions in Airgun Chronicles- Thirty Years Of Airgun Testing And Competition (copyright 2013). To quote that chapter (with key Sightron misses in green... like $$$)-

Why didn’t they think of this?

Since FT rifle ranges are 8-55 yards (depending on American or international rules), there is absolutely no need for focusing beyond 55 yards. Any yardage markings (and rotational travel) beyond 55 yards are absolutely superfluous for field target, and therefore represents wasted focusing potential. If the same amount of total side-wheel rotation was dedicated to focusing only from 10 to 55 yards as is now dedicated to 10 yards to infinity, there would be wider spacing between the range markings and consequently, better range-finding.

Or this?

Additionally, even wider-spaced range markings could be affected if afore-mentioned 10-55 yard focusing was accomplished with a full 360 degree rotation of the side-wheel. In other words, a full, 360 degree rotation of an 80mm side-wheel to focus (only) from 8 to 55 yards would widen the increments between yardage markings considerably, better defining the difference between those difficult-to-range targets beyond 40 yards.

But at least Sightron has made some steps in the direction I called for; albeit stunted though they be.

Reactions: JungleShooter
Like most things, I suppose it comes down to the economics. There may not be enough FT folks buying in the S6 price range to justify a totally FT dedicated scope. I wonder how many they would need to sell to justify the features noted above? Any how would the FT community show its commitment to buying a dedicated Sightron FT scope (deposits, kickstarter campaign, etc.)? Love to have one at a reasonable price point.

Glad to see Sightron finally incorporating key features I called for over a decade ago in a field target scope. However they could have done even better had the S6 field target scope not been designed to also appeal to rimfire competitors, thereby compromising the S6 model's field target range-finding capabilities. As taken from their website, with key shortcomings in yellow-

SIGHTRON redesigned the parallax cam system with 330º of total rotation. It is optimized for precise Field Target parallax adjustments ranging from 9-300 yards with 91º of parallax correction in the critical 40-60yrd target range.

Too bad they didn't read the chapter titled Optical Delusions in Airgun Chronicles- Thirty Years Of Airgun Testing And Competition (copyright 2013). To quote that chapter (with key Sightron misses in green... like $$$)-

Since FT rifle ranges are 8-55 yards (depending on American or international rules), there is absolutely no need for focusing beyond 55 yards. Any yardage markings (and rotational travel) beyond 55 yards are absolutely superfluous for field target, and therefore represents wasted focusing potential. If the same amount of total side-wheel rotation was dedicated to focusing only from 10 to 55 yards as is now dedicated to 10 yards to infinity, there would be wider spacing between the range markings and consequently, better range-finding.

Or this?

Additionally, even wider-spaced range markings could be affected if afore-mentioned 10-55 yard focusing was accomplished with a full 360 degree rotation of the side-wheel. In other words, a full, 360 degree rotation of an 80mm side-wheel to focus (only) from 8 to 55 yards would widen the increments between yardage markings considerably, better defining the difference between those difficult-to-range targets beyond 40 yards.

But at least Sightron has made some steps in the direction I called for; albeit stunted though they be.

What matters is how much wheel travel is still available for the 8-55y. If it’s 5% wheel travel to include 55-300y then nobody is going to notice a tiny bit less wheel movement when ranging 8-55.

It might be for manufacturing tolerances too. Some of the SIII FT scopes could focus to 100y or more. Mine stops like a rock at 55y.

Reactions: AirNGasman
Like most things, I suppose it comes down to the economics. There may not be enough FT folks buying in the S6 price range to justify a totally FT dedicated scope. I wonder how many they would need to sell to justify the features noted above? Any how would the FT community show its commitment to buying a dedicated Sightron FT scope (deposits, kickstarter campaign, etc.)? Love to have one at a reasonable price point.

You nailed it, FT! More excerpts from the chapter I previously quoted-

More often than not, simple economics drive product development and marketing. In most cases logic dictates there be not only adequate demand for a particular product to make developing and marketing it economically feasible, but also that the end-product can be produced to sell for a palatable price. Therein lays the conundrum.

The brutal truth is, the field-target community makes up a miniscule fraction of shooters and hence represents an insignificant profit potential in the burgeoning riflescope market. No matter that every FT competitor might be willing to pay a hefty price for the ideal product; the profit potential in several dozen scopes wouldn’t cover the expenses of developing it. Consequently we make do with what’s available for the broader, profitable market. Nevertheless, let’s design the perfect FT scope; just for kicks.

We can't fault Sightron for compromising their new S6 FIELD TARGET scope's field target potentials in order to also appeal to the magnitudes greater (than airguns) rimfire market.

You nailed it, FT! More excerpts from the chapter I previously quoted-

More often than not, simple economics drive product development and marketing. In most cases logic dictates there be not only adequate demand for a particular product to make developing and marketing it economically feasible, but also that the end-product can be produced to sell for a palatable price. Therein lays the conundrum.

The brutal truth is, the field-target community makes up a miniscule fraction of shooters and hence represents an insignificant profit potential in the burgeoning riflescope market. No matter that every FT competitor might be willing to pay a hefty price for the ideal product; the profit potential in several dozen scopes wouldn’t cover the expenses of developing it. Consequently we make do with what’s available for the broader, profitable market. Nevertheless, let’s design the perfect FT scope; just for kicks.

We can't fault Sightron for compromising their new S6 FIELD TARGET scope's field target potentials in order to also appeal to the magnitudes greater (than airguns) rimfire market.

It’s even worse than that. The typical scope buyer does not even want a scope that will only focus out to 55yds. They also prefer minimum input to maintain a good focus and parallax free setting. Outside of FT, the ideal scope for most would be a fixed focus that is always clear and parallax free. That’s opposite of what FT needs under current rules. Other than FT shooters, very few want a large focus wheel with a lot of movement required. These days, laser range finders are very inexpensive and many do a good job of ranging down to 10yds. Outside of FT, that’s what people typically use. You are correct that there is a very limited market for the features FT shooters want, and that makes the selection limited, the costs high, or the performance leaving much to be desired. When a manufacturer makes a scope specifically for FT, they kinda ruin the prospect of sales success in general for that product.

I just reiterated mostly what you already pointed out.

Reactions: beerthief

Or this?

I have two Sightron SIII. An early on with the focus range from 9-55 yards and the new version with a focus range from 10-300yards. I prefer the latter but neither are all that great when it comes to scope wheel gaps as you get out to 55 yards. Kind of sad when you spend that much on a dedicated scope that can only be in focus from 9-55 yards. You would think that sacrifice would be worth it. Sadly the, now discontinued, Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32X is a better scope for ranging (and has better glass).

Reactions: AirNGasman