N/A Skout Epoch or FX Impact M4 ??

Those skouts are really nice! Had a M3 and it was a great gun. I’ve shot a Skout at my club and would hands down get one over another Impact. It also depends what you’re gonna use it for.

Yeah I see what you mean, I already have 2 impacts! Seems like the Skout is better for bench rest shooting than hunting but I will be using it primarily on a bench. I do wish to test it out on some coyotes or some rabbits...when hunting season comes though : )

I would say the impact is more conducive to hunting for sure. The epoch is really a bench gun.
Couldn't say it better.....so far that is what I have seen on YouTube. Most shooters have it on a bench than carrying it around on a sling. That Skout gun looks really heavy...it would be like a workout carrying it around on a gun sling. Is ultimately hard to compare the two and they both seemed to be made for different purposes.

Reactions: Trucker3573
Have to circle back around to this as I spend more time with the epoch. Again I would like to state I haven’t ever shot an m4 but it can’t be much different than the m3. I have to easily give the nod to the impact. It’s lighter , more quiet, smoother at the shot and more air efficient. In my opinion while the Skout is really cool technology there are trade offs to that bigger valve. The gun is 10 lbs and at 63 ft pounds in .25 there is a bit more feedback at the shot and it is louder than my Maverick or impact(both with buck rail mod) that is .30 and 80 ft lbs. I will say the mod is .30 so maybe that accounts for it being noisier on the .25 ?? My fx have a lot lower ES also. Not meaning to trash the Skout as I do like it a lot. It is very accurate the fx guns are just a tad bit nicer of a shooting experience in my opinion.

Reactions: Mark_SoCal_626
Have to circle back around to this as I spend more time with the epoch. Again I would like to state I haven’t ever shot an m4 but it can’t be much different than the m3. I have to easily give the nod to the impact. It’s lighter , more quiet, smoother at the shot and more air efficient. In my opinion while the Skout is really cool technology there are trade offs to that bigger valve. The gun is 10 lbs and at 63 ft pounds in .25 there is a bit more feedback at the shot and it is louder than my Maverick or impact(both with buck rail mod) that is .30 and 80 ft lbs. I will say the mod is .30 so maybe that accounts for it being noisier on the .25 ?? My fx have a lot lower ES also. Not meaning to trash the Skout as I do like it a lot. It is very accurate the fx guns are just a tad bit nicer of a shooting experience in my opinion.

Thanks for your Feedback Trucker, Coming from someone that actually owns both guns!!! Awesome. There are a few members that have stated the weight of the Skout vs Impact....and it is a heavy rifle...designed for benchers shooting. Both guns though are very sweet shooters but ultimately you have to pick the one bases off of what you are going to do with it. Thanks

Reactions: Trucker3573
long term,i would get the impact just for the grip, it is the only thing that we hold in shooting sessions , the epoch has all the electronics in the grip, where i live its 45 celsius in the summer and that thing would not last in our sweaty hands IMO.
This must be a joke lol. They use very similar electronics as DLX paintball guns. They are literally submerged in mud and rained on during tournaments. Some sweat isn’t going to do anything lol.

Last edited:
Whichever one does not have a battery and software. That would be a dead stop for me. I have been looking at the new M4 and the BRK Ghost. I think from my research the M4 has the edge for me due to weight and power but the Ghost holds the edge for reliability and no fuss (frustration) shooting. Now I just need some money because both are too expensive (an opinion).

Whichever one does not have a battery and software. That would be a dead stop for me. I have been looking at the new M4 and the BRK Ghost. I think from my research the M4 has the edge for me due to weight and power but the Ghost holds the edge for reliability and no fuss (frustration) shooting. Now I just need some money because both are too expensive (an opinion).
This was my concern too before purchasing a Wolf. Not any more. The trigger is great because it has no resistance and the battery is cheap. Epoch's even more so because it uses the old Nokia style battery which you can get for cheap. The only think that I would hate on an Epoch is the off valve which I would forget to close.

This was my concern too before purchasing a Wolf. Not any more. The trigger is great because it has no resistance and the battery is cheap. Epoch's even more so because it uses the old Nokia style battery which you can get for cheap. The only think that I would hate on an Epoch is the off valve which I would forget to close.
Hi @gxs
The on/off valve is my least favorite part about the Epoch. I was clipping a small pie shaped bit from the o-ring as a result from turning the valve on and off causing the air to leak.
Skout has listened to our feedback and has a better design that has eliminated the knob/oring by using a pin valve
this can be fitted to the Epoch
A very welcomed change!
Mike

I have a epoch for sale if anyone is interested.
It's a bench gun I bought it before I understood the differences between PRS and bench.
If you want to shoot pellets, that's the gun for you. It shoots them amazing. Slugs on the other hand, I would not get an epoch
I have the .25 slug barrel, it most certainly shoots slugs! I also have the LW .22 bull barrel, no choke, and again it shoots slugs very well.

Reactions: manabeknives
Don’t mind the on/off. Haven’t had any problems with it and it was standard in the paintball world when I played. Not sure if it still is ? I don’t care for bleeding the gun out after each session. I emailed Skout (one of my early ones they actually responded to) and they said no damage will be done by leaving it pressurized. The reg does slowly vent off air. This is why I think they say to degas it as people will assume it’s leaking. I close the on off valve and leave the gun pressurized if I’m putting it away only for a short time. It doesn’t lose too much in a cpl days. Funny thing is that today was the first time I’ve shot it in a few days. Also the first time I left the gun pressurized between sessions. Shot 30 shots and all were within 10 fps spread something the gun hasn’t done once since I got it. No idea why….was it that I left it pressurized…was it because it was a little cooler 🤷‍♂️

Define the best materials?

Most engineers would design what is needed + a %. If Brass works, why go with a stronger more expensive material?

Smitty
Why because number 1 everything is high preasure,two these guns maybe cost between 300 to 500 to build and they sell them between 2000 and and 4000 depending on what you get it wouldnt be hard to make them out of stainless steel or if you really wanna do everyone a solid titanium and i know it can be done because i have seen it done, and another thing i have seen it done in a crappy machine shop with standard machines the people that make these over priced guns have high end cnc machines, but thats just my opinion the world will always be make it as cheap as poss and sell it for the most you can get.

Why because number 1 everything is high preasure,two these guns maybe cost between 300 to 500 to build and they sell them between 2000 and and 4000 depending on what you get it wouldnt be hard to make them out of stainless steel or if you really wanna do everyone a solid titanium and i know it can be done because i have seen it done, and another thing i have seen it done in a crappy machine shop with standard machines the people that make these over priced guns have high end cnc machines, but thats just my opinion the world will always be make it as cheap as poss and sell it for the most you can get.
Yes, you have to love Capitalism the most equal method in the world.

Is material cost the only part of the issue?

I worked for Corning Inc, R&D Fiber Optic Micro, the Fiber Optic Glass we used only cost pennies in silicon, but 20 years invested in the process to get the purity required and how to make the index of refraction mismatch work for long haul telecommunication, plus the equipment and measurement systems that needed to be invented. Good thing it was only pennies for the silicon.

Not tying to be an ***, and I have a CNC mill in my garage as well as two lathes (wood and metal), but there is way more to any product than just material cost.

I also have two patents on a product I hope to launch soon, part cost for raw materials is only $20ish bucks, buy time its molded into a usable shape, well that price has to go up.

Smitty