Skout EPOCH Update - Dec 16th 2022

What is a fact is that we really want to see the Epoch working. Skout Airguns has our attention and we are willing to have a successful disruptive product. But what is interesting is what we think we can get from that product:

Accuracy at very long ranges?..... FX has already achieve that with some of the rifle they already made (when the rifles are in a position to colaborate), also Daystate and Airgun Technology normally with all their rifles.

Many shots per fill? ...... Again, FX and Aigun Technology already gave us that.

Wide range of adjustments in power?..... Rattler, LCS and Huben already achieved that easily. FX provides that with some dosis of torture for both: owner and rifle.

Beauty?....... It is not the goal. Daystate is the champ in that segment.

Electronic trigger? ..... Indeed I like them. Daystate has many years offering them.

What will the Epoch need to offer in order that we accept it worth 3,000 US dollars and then being in a position to pay for it?

Last edited:
The gauges are pretty cool concept but their customer service is equivalent to hatsans, terrible! I really like the Huma gauges

Novelty item IMO, with little if any useful functionality. Battery dependent gauge that you need a manual to discern. Lots of guys bought 'em though, so you should probably ask them directly.

What is a fact is that we really want to see the Epoch working. Skout Airguns has our attention and we are willing to have a successful disruptive product. But what is interesting is what we think we can get from that product:

Accuracy at very long ranges?..... FX has already achieve that with some of the rifle they already made (when the rifles are in a position to colaborate), also Daystate and Airgun Technology normally with all their rifles.

Many shots per fill? ...... Again, FX and Aigun Technology already gave us that.

Wide range of adjustments in power?..... Rattler, LCS and Huben already achieved that easily. FX provides that with some dosis of torture for both: owner and rifle.

Beauty?....... It is not the goal. Daystate is the champ in that segment.

Electronic trigger? ..... Indeed I like them. Daystate has many years offering them.

What will the Epoch need to offer in order that we accept it worth 3,000 US dollars and then being in a position to pay for it?

Stay tuned. Next week we'll have more real world, hands on media to share that will hopefully answer a lot of the questions being asked. If you join The Airgun Benchrest Cannel on Facebook, you'll be able to tune in to our live sessions on the 5th and 6th of January when we'll be taking the gun through it's paces and audience members will be able to pose questions live to the designers and have them answered in real time.

Screenshot_20221227_205740_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20221227_205749_Facebook.jpg

Novelty item IMO, with little if any useful functionality. Battery dependent gauge that you need a manual to discern. Lots of guys bought 'em though, so you should probably ask them directly.
When you actually are out using them at night it's far from a novelty. Love being able to quickly view my pressure without turning on my headlamp.

When you actually are out using them at night it's far from a novelty. Love being able to quickly view my pressure without turning on my headlamp.
Hadn't thought of that, but then I don't hunt and am unaware of any competitions held at night so I spoke only from my own perspective, which is exactly why I advised the OP to seek opinions from actual users.

Well, Taiwan is not really China. Taiwan is higher in the hierarchy.

I guess you know Sekhmet pressure gauges. The manufacturer was asked about the availability and the reply was they were waiting for the parts from China.
LOL Taiwan is as real China as it gets. Historically speaking Taiwan is the real China.
Higher in hierarchy? I would say not..
Speaking about manufacturing quality? China in general can manufacture reaally good stuff.. all depends about QC and standards you give them.. Quality isnt cheap even from China.
You guys dont even get how much they sell us stuff in western countrys with label made in lol that actually tracks almost 100% back to asia.

Reactions: rafr
LOL imagine (firstly) not knowing Smart Parts' history in PA and then also thinking that since a manufactured item has a few electronic parts from china that it's a ChInA gUn.... Oooooof.

This gun is going to revolutionize airguns. Spool valves are the way. They are not inefficient these days, my GMek (spool valve) will shoot way more paint than my Autococker (poppet valve) and that's a fact. The level of paintball Fuddlore in here is hilarious. Hey have you guys ever frozen your paintballs?! 🤣 🤣

Thread followed and popcorn enabled.

LOL imagine (firstly) not knowing Smart Parts' history in PA and then also thinking that since a manufactured item has a few electronic parts from china that it's a ChInA gUn.... Oooooof.

This gun is going to revolutionize airguns. Spool valves are the way. They are not inefficient these days, my GMek (spool valve) will shoot way more paint than my Autococker (poppet valve) and that's a fact. The level of paintball Fuddlore in here is hilarious. Hey have you guys ever frozen your paintballs?! 🤣 🤣

Thread followed and popcorn enabled.
On revolutionizing: maybe. Maybe not. All the negative or positive criticism for a airgun that has never seen the light of day is silly.

What I am advocating for is waiting. Ever watch the news? Ever see a news anchor run with a story one direction or another,? Independent of facts, the journalist makes a firm, fixed narrative. Inevitably the facts come out and cognitive dissonance begins. Funny, like the journalist, many Airgunners also double down on the narrative they constructed wholely independent of facts.

I propose forming an opinion after the airgun has actually been made and is in the real world, where testers and professional reviewers can put it through its paces (thinking of Mountain Sport Airguns here when I say professional, not a five minute unboxing video because those are worthless). So my proposal is simple: wait. If the Epoch sucks it would do well to wait. If it is the best Rifle ever-ever, it would do well to wait still. That way people will know that your opinion is actually formed on something other than how you think it ought to perform.

Cheers and happy New Years,
Atlas

On revolutionizing: maybe. Maybe not. All the negative or positive criticism for a airgun that has never seen the light of day is silly.

What I am advocating for is waiting. Ever watch the news? Ever see a news anchor run with a story one direction or another,? Independent of facts, the journalist makes a firm, fixed narrative. Inevitably the facts come out and cognitive dissonance begins. Funny, like the journalist, many Airgunners also double down on the narrative they constructed wholely independent of facts.

I propose forming an opinion after the airgun has actually been made and is in the real world, where testers and professional reviewers can put it through its paces (thinking of Mountain Sport Airguns here when I say professional, not a five minute unboxing video because those are worthless). So my proposal is simple: wait. If the Epoch sucks it would do well to wait. If it is the best Rifle ever-ever, it would do well to wait still. That way people will know that your opinion is actually formed on something other than how you think it ought to perform.

Cheers and happy New Years,
Atlas
Atlas - I watched spool valves absolutely revolutionize paintball. This is my basis for saying the Skout Epoch (and spool valves) will revolutionize airguns. The airgun industry is some 10-20 years behind paintball in terms of technology. Regulators, electronic triggers, carbon fiber 4500psi tanks - all have been used in paintball for like 20-30 years, while they are much more recent "innovations" in airguns. I think my statement will turn out to be pretty accurate. Just watch.

And Kevin - you cannot freeze paintballs. It's paintball lore of the uninformed, and I was poking fun at those kinda people. Haha.

Atlas - I watched spool valves absolutely revolutionize paintball. This is my basis for saying the Skout Epoch (and spool valves) will revolutionize airguns. The airgun industry is some 10-20 years behind paintball in terms of technology. Regulators, electronic triggers, carbon fiber 4500psi tanks - all have been used in paintball for like 20-30 years, while they are much more recent "innovations" in airguns. I think my statement will turn out to be pretty accurate. Just watch.

And Kevin - you cannot freeze paintballs. It's paintball lore of the uninformed, and I was poking fun at those kinda people. Haha.
Sorry to be reiterative, I have no elements to doubt about the propulsion part. But a CZ barrel would have erase from the equation the accuracy incognita.

We would know RIGHT NOW that the must accurate barrel in the world with both, pellets and slugs, would be matted with a new way of sending air on it and with a delicious electronic trigger. That sound by it self REALLY ATTRACTIVE !!!

Reactions: AirShootist
Sorry to be reiterative, I have no elements to doubt about the propulsion part. But a CZ barrel would have erase from the equation the accuracy incognita.

We would know RIGHT NOW that the must accurate barrel in the world with both, pellets and slugs, would be matted with a new way of sending air on it and with a delicious electronic trigger. That sound by it self REALLY ATTRACTIVE !!!
Yes, the Skout barrels with different "bites", which I take to mean different seating depths, will be interesting. The barrels could be good, could be bad - you're right. I think it would be good idea to just outsource the barrels from CZ, TJ, or Lothar Walther to ensure that they are amazing. And also to maybe include just 1 barrel and use an adjustable probe so you can adjust the seating depth yourself rather than changing the barrel to do that. I hope my understanding of their barrel system is correct. I think the idea is a little bit similar to the Freak paintball barrels where you can change your bore size to better match your paint.

Anywho, I'm stoked to get mine. As a veteran of tournament paintball for almost 30 years, this gun just makes so much sense for me. I've owned spoolies (paintball guns) since like 2003 so I am extremely familiar with how they work and how to maintain them.

Reactions: Bodacious

Spool vavles revolutionized paintball? That's debatable as the airgun industry being 10-20 years behind paintball. Walther and Anschutz did electronic sear trippers in the 70s which predates paintball and SPs expired BS patent. The current TM40 Luxe is awesome, but it took 20 years to get it there.
We both know anybody who takes paintball seriously, do not freeze them to induce more pain. We refrigerate so they are more brittle and mark targets easier.

Spool vavles revolutionized paintball? That's debatable as the airgun industry being 10-20 years behind paintball. Walther and Anschutz did electronic sear trippers in the 70s which predates paintball and SPs expired BS patent. The current TM40 Luxe is awesome, but it took 20 years to get it there.
We both know anybody who takes paintball seriously, do not freeze them to induce more pain. We refrigerate so they are more brittle and mark targets easier.
Not debatable. Spool valves 100% revolutionized paintball. The only two poppet guns people use anymore are the Planet Eclipse LV (Ego) series guns which are still being produced and then Autocockers in the mech scene. Literally every other tournament gun is a spoolie. Poppet valve guns are outdated, and IMO, crude (compared to a spool valve). Also - the predecessor(s) to the Luxe, basically the SFT Shocker (2003) and the Ion (2005), were both amazing platforms, so I disagree vehemently with "it took 20 years to get there"... lol... No.

And again.... you cannot freeze paintballs.... unless you have liquid nitrogen.

Last edited:
Reactions: qball