SKOUT TRAIN, ANYONE?

I need to see it and see someone testing it. It is the first pcp they are making and regardless of their reputation in the paintball world, I need some concrete figures/numbers and specifications.
The rifle looks good and if it can dwindle down the amount of psi needed to move heavier slug’s, I’d definitely be interested. I know many are looking at that price but if you think about it you’ll see its close to what many pay in total upgrading rifles. Example would be my, notice I say my, Impact M3. Initial cost $2199, then add power kit, barrel tensioner, digital gauge’s, carbon fiber sleeve’s and heavy liner and I’m close to or might be over $3000.
Hopefully you don’t have to do any of these things to make the Skout shoot better…

I was tempted but buying a house in SC and getting moved was more pressing. That and I still have three other guns to get dialed in.
Red Wolf .22HP - Helioboard inroute.
Sniper XR .25 - Just received the 33 grain JSP
Bantam .25 - Just installed Altros Regulator and need to tighten that group up.

Smitty
Welcome to SC. I live Summerville about 20 miles west of Charleston. Holla! If I can help give you the lay of the land. Again welcome Bill

I think when it’s finally released we will immediately see the claims of sub 1000psi reg settings producing full power disappear, and it is essentially just going to be another electronically controlled air rifle.
I don’t plan to board the Skout train but I do welcome any and all innovation into the advancement of the hobby. I hope it’s going to be groundbreaking new stuff but I’m doubtful it is going to live up to the original claims.
If I were going to drop 3k right now I’d buy another Evol. Or 2 more Uragans. Or 3 more Texans…. Or 15 Dragonfly MKIIs. Or 30 Crosman 362s…..

Skout is living in never never land thinking any serious Airgunner is going to drop that kind of dime on essentially a mystery product. They need to get these out to reputable reviewers before they ask for pre-orders.
1000 percent agree Dana. And the key word is REPUTABLE. Some off the wall stuff like the Cattleman guns fiasco a while back is not going to work. If they just try to self-promote the Skout it’s going to be an impossible sell. Maybe you and shooter1721 will get one to try out.

Skout is living in never never land thinking any serious Airgunner is going to drop that kind of dime on essentially a mystery product. They need to get these out to reputable reviewers before they ask for pre-orders.
Nailed it, smart parts made paintball guns "pretty well" however, they were balls of paint moving at 250 fps no more than 25 - 30 yards "accurately"

I think when it’s finally released we will immediately see the claims of sub 1000psi reg settings producing full power disappear, and it is essentially just going to be another electronically controlled air rifle.
I don’t plan to board the Skout train but I do welcome any and all innovation into the advancement of the hobby. I hope it’s going to be groundbreaking new stuff but I’m doubtful it is going to live up to the original claims.
If I were going to drop 3k right now I’d buy another Evol. Or 2 more Uragans. Or 3 more Texans…. Or 15 Dragonfly MKIIs. Or 30 Crosman 362s…..

I agree, you can only make so much power with a lower pressure. And let’s face it, at the starting price, it should be able to shoot at both ends of the spectrum. And lengthening barrel (I think I saw one video with a 35” barrel making close to 140fpe with a 30cal) will only help so much.

I think their electronic control (I’m just guessing here) is technology that doesn’t work with higher pressure. As such, they crippled themselves right off the bat and tried to make it a selling point. Remember, paintball technology had to work in the co2 pressure window.

And the claim the lower pressure is ‘easy’ on pellets…..the pressure is what holds the skirt into the rifling…propbably why they offer 3 tightnesses of barrel liners, to get the pellet to work at low pressures.

I love innovation, those who know me know I applaud it and try to step outside the box. But this does seem to be a step back. To paintball not pcp airguns.

I wish them well and hope they succeed.

Dave

Even sub 12 air guns use closer to 2000 psi. PSI or Pound per square inch is a measurement of force or energy per surface area, less PSI then less energy or horsepower. Thier claim of lots of power at under 1000psi is like bragging about their 100 horsepower engine at the drag strip, it CAN get to 100MPH but might take 1/2 a mile instead of 1/4 mile. Clearly when they made the claims someone forgot about the physic part.

And your list of guns for $3000 puts thing in proper perspective and funny as hell!!! 😂🤣🤣

Here is a video from the shot show:

From my engineering and airgun tuning perspective they are trying to “reinvent the wheel” and their “new technologies” sound like justification for their paintball gun parts in a PCP. To get more power we need…….well, more power or force or more PSI, physic is the law!

Last edited:
Reactions: pnwairgunner
If I were Skout, I’d have a couple of really good shooters compete with their gun at EBR, in the EFT, 100Y BR and Open Class Speed Silo. Let’s see how they do in competition, which is really the only way. Also, have a booth set up so others can shoot the gun for themselves. Surely they must have some First Article Production models ready by now…?
As far as shooting high power at low(er) pressure, has everyone forgotten about the USFT guns? Yes, most are 20 FPE but there are some that shoot 50 FPE. Most shoot from 1500 psi down to 1200 psi…

As far as shooting high power at low(er) pressure, has everyone forgotten about the USFT guns? Yes, most are 20 FPE but there are some that shoot 50 FPE. Most shoot from 1500 psi down to 1200 psi…

Yep, my USFT is 1450 down to 1250psi. 45 shots within about 20fps. JSB 10.34 @ an average of about 920, so just under 20fpe.
I think I remember hearing that the 50fpe experimental USFTs that were shot at the Oregon XFT earlier this year have titanium tubes, and I heard were operating up to 1800 psi. So, still low pressure, relative to regs set at 180-190 bar. (1800psi is about 124 bar).

So, yes Centercut, perfect examples of guns that can do just fine with low operating pressure. THAT was the number one most intriguing thing about the SKOUT for me. High power but low pressure!?!?! HECK yes. The industry is running the other direction with higher reg pressures to attain those higher fpes. And the higher the pressure requirements get, the fewer usable shots we get out of a SCBA tank fill.

1000 percent agree Dana. And the key word is REPUTABLE. Some off the wall stuff like the Cattleman guns fiasco a while back is not going to work. If they just try to self-promote the Skout it’s going to be an impossible sell. Maybe you and shooter1721 will get one to try out.
I've already reached out to them, to be honest I'm not really interested anymore. Better off sending it to Rick, he can use it to blow out a candle.