Slugs Vs Regular pellets

If you're restricted to using a 22 at the moment, whether because that's all you own or what have you. You could use heavier grain pellets or you could use a similar weight slug to a pellet like the Nielsen's which are very hard, and have little to no deformation. They also shoot very well in a lot of different pcps. I'm really only suggesting Nielsen because you're talking about raccoons.

If you're restricted to using a 22 at the moment, whether because that's all you own or what have you. You could use heavier grain pellets or you could use a similar weight slug to a pellet like the Nielsen's which are very hard, and have little to no deformation. They also shoot very well in a lot of different pcps. I'm really only suggesting Nielsen because you're talking about raccoons.
Why do you say Nielsen slugs are hard, I thought Nielsen only uses pure lead?

The only time I have ever had any NSA slugs expand, was when I would shoot 20.2 gr at 1015fps. I've also shot 15gr and 20gr 177 nsa in the 750fps - 920fps and recovered them only to be slightly deformed but, or slightly expanded, but not much. As far as I know NSA uses mostly led, but somewhere around 5% antimony or nickel

Where as I'll shoot 13.4gr Jsb KO over 900fps and they turn into a frisbee, if I shoot the 10gr jsb KO over 900fps they turn into a donut or an oring. Zans will expand as low at 660fps and that's based on my own personal findings.

The only time I have ever had any NSA slugs expand, was when I would shoot 20.2 gr at 1015fps. I've also shot 15gr and 20gr 177 nsa in the 750fps - 920fps and recovered them only to be slightly deformed but, or slightly expanded, but not much. As far as I know NSA uses mostly led, but somewhere around 5% antimony or nickel

Where as I'll shoot 13.4gr Jsb KO over 900fps and they turn into a frisbee, if I shoot the 10gr jsb KO over 900fps they turn into a donut or an oring. Zans will expand as low at 660fps and that's based on my own personal findings.
There's no antimony and definitely no nickle in NSA slugs. Maybe a trace of tin. I'll ask Mr Nielsen to weigh in on the matter but I'd say the profile and hollow point size is the key factor.
Edit: He sells the same lead wire as he uses to make his own slugs and advertises it as pure lead wire. I sent him a message.
Edit2 I stand corrected on the antimony, Mr Nielsen of NSA says his lead does contain a little antimony.

Last edited:
So currently my AT44 is doing 923-930fps with nielsen 15gr. I just shot a slug into a full bottle of water with a trash bag underneath folded 6 times to try and prevent the slug from just burrying itself in the ground. Not sure how fast the 13.4gr KO is moving but I am going to assume about 980-990fps if given the same FPE. Since it's smaller I'm going to say it's moving just a tad slower. I shot the KO slug into a tall cup of water cause that's the only other thing I had on me. But this is what the KO slug looks like after I was able to recover it. The NSA slug just went through everything and burying itself in the ground regardless of fold bag underneath.

16999906206056036377889489306019.jpg

16999906408026442843411559367193.jpg

16999912627215999492929668150408.jpg

16999913009612878925308826038740.jpg

Reactions: heavy-impact
Hmmm, this summer I test the expansion of JSB Redesign's vs Knockouts in 25 cal.
I think I'll test the RMR slugs I'm currently using as I really like the results on small varmits. I shot a squirrel at 30 yards +/- just under it's eye from the side and it didn't exit but it did drop with a single twitch once it hit the ground. 25 cal, 26 grain at 988 fps.
It's supposed to be warm tomorrow so I'll see about recovering a few from some soaked magazines.

There's no antimony and definitely no nickle in NSA slugs. Maybe a trace of tin. I'll ask Mr Nielsen to weigh in on the matter but I'd say the profile and hollow point size is the key factor.
Edit: He sells the same lead wire as he uses to make his own slugs and advertises it as pure lead wire. I sent him a message.
That's fine, still doesn't take away that most other slug manufacturers make slugs that expand more. My point is that his unless you're pushing them really hard, they won't expand much, giving you a lot more penetration. So they'd be perfect for a raccoon.

Alright, I don't have anything to measure as precisely as possible at the moment. But here. I took up-close pictures of both slugs, and the tiny wood chip pieces are how deep the hollow point goes and it seems to be about even, maybe 2mm for both? I tried to put a 1.5mm allen in the hollowpoint to see how wide they both are and I could only put it about half way in the Jsb knockout, I'm think the hollowpoint is somewhere between 1.5mm and 1.7mm, whereas the nsa I'm gonna say is somehwrre between 1.1-1.3mm wide. But again, I've never seen nsa slugs expand anywhere near as much as other slugs, so maybe the side wall are thicker? Not sure though.

20231114_150450.jpg

20231114_150645.jpg

That's fine, still doesn't take away that most other slug manufacturers make slugs that expand more. My point is that his unless you're pushing them really hard, they won't expand much, giving you a lot more penetration. So they'd be perfect for a raccoon.
I like maximum expansion also and mostly use 65-70 grain .30 cal between 950 and 980 fps. Maybe the larger calibers start expanding easier than .177
Looks like some other manufacturers are using a different ogive producing a larger meplat resulting faster expansion at the cost of reduced bc.

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
I like maximum expansion also and mostly use 65-70 grain .30 cal between 950 and 980 fps. Maybe the larger calibers start expanding easier than .177
Looks like some other manufacturers are using a different ogive producing a larger meplat resulting faster expansion at the cost of reduced bc.
Yes, I do understand that that is also a factor, in .22 varmint knocker I believe uses a n2 nose for their xlhp and anything sbout 880fps and that slugs fragment for me. This is a javelin 49gr going about 935-940 that went into an iguana and came out. And the other one is a 21gr javelin going about 915fps that I also recovered after shooting an iguana. I have seen good expansion from NSA on larger calibers like 35 and up, either way he makes amazing slugs. They just have their place for me.

17000510178396538706305564594451.jpg

17000510564247760654529421522974.jpg

17000511738351998320208350396953.jpg

Yes, I do understand that that is also a factor, in .22 varmint knocker I believe uses a n2 nose for their xlhp and anything sbout 880fps and that slugs fragment for me. This is a javelin 49gr going about 935-940 that went into an iguana and came out. And the other one is a 21gr javelin going about 915fps that I also recovered after shooting an iguana. I have seen good expansion from NSA on larger calibers like 35 and up, either way he makes amazing slugs. They just have their place for me.

View attachment 406430

View attachment 406431

View attachment 406432
For the sake of full info, what did the slugs hit after they passed through the iguanas? What/where did you recover them from?

Pellets work just fine and don't have to be custom tuned to use them. I whacked a rather large armadillo with my .25 cal RAW at 50 yards with JSB 25.4 grainers. Practice your marksmanship because whatever projectile you use, it has to be placed well.
Your statement is very true......
What is also very true is that if you do this long enough not every shot is going to be placed right where you want. Those who say it doesn't aren't being 100% truthful. Kind of like those YT video's of all those 150+ yard hits that leave out the 150+ yard misses. It's those instances where a little projectile help can't hurt. And for what it's worth I have no issue with using slugs or pellets and use both with confidence.