N/A Smart people, please jump in!

Since last night I have the following discussion in my mind.

My Vulcan 3 700 mm .25 Cal shoots like a champ the NSA 29 grain. I have confirmed extreme accuracy at 330 yards.

I have seen that NSA also have 36.2 grain slugs.

If this rifle shoots at 76 fpe, those 76 fpe are better in field conditions with 29 grain slugs or with 36.2 grain slugs?

To deal with wind, theoretically 36.2 grain should be better than 29 grain, but 29 grain should fly faster, so less time under wind influence.

29 grain should have a faster decrease in power than 36.2 grain...

I will appreciate your informed opinion.

Get very dialed in on the distant targets. Set up a chronograph in front of your target, perhaps with a piece or two of 3/4 plywood shielding the Chronograph "box" itself. Might clip a screen or support rod with a pellet, but protect the costly part. WIth regard to energy, it is the velocity we have left at distance that matters. You can easily do an FPE calculation this way. I use an old camera tripod for my old Chrony. Have not tried it yet with .177 as long as the light is good it works well with .22. The tripod makes setting up the Chrony simpler. Garage sale tripods are a dime a dozen in case it gets shot.

Reactions: Emu
The G1 BC of those 29's is more like .075 at 925 fps in my Uragan King so they blow in the wind quite a bit. I like to use them inside 200Y because it's almost never calm where I live.

I've tried the 29's at 300Y and the vertical was acceptable but the hits on my 15" plate were strewn most of the way across it and it was at first light so slight wind conditions. Then on another occasion at 300Y trying to keep hits on a kitty cat sized bobcat steel in the wind was tough to do, like a 25-30% hit rate.

The NSA 34.9's shoot almost as good in this Uragan as the 29's so might go to those next time I make an order.

I would not want to take many shots at distance with the chronograph, I've managed to not shoot it for over twenty years, I'd like to keep it that way.
That said, should be very doable, don't push your luck. The shot window is fairly large on my old Chrony. It has always been enough chronograph for me. I know that actual measurements are always superior to estimates. When a clean kill of an animal is at stake? Hey even vermin should not suffer. Knowing how much energy you actually have helps.

It sounds like you've already reached air gun Nirvana. You've managed to shoot slugs with "extreme accuracy". The slug is already outperforming a Diablo pellet as far as ballistic coefficient is concerned and retained energy. The lighter weight slug, as opposed to something heavier, gives you a flatter trajectory and a larger point blank range having minimal hold over/hold under.

It's tempting to guild the lily but I think you're lily is already beautiful enough. Congratulations on your tuning and setup.

Feinwerk