So many bandits

Surprising they didn't spray when cuffed. The 1st one died, while I was researching how to remove a skunk from the cuff, expired baking in the hot sun without shade or water. The 2nd one sprayed a little when I hit it lungs, the 3rd spray a lot when I tried to hit the lungs. A 4th got caught in a cuff, no spraying, until another skunk came by to fight with the one caught in the trap, one skunk sprayed the other a little. I took it out with a syringe of acetone on a long pole later in the day.

Surprising they didn't spray when cuffed. The 1st one died, while I was researching how to remove a skunk from the cuff, expired baking in the hot sun without shade or water. The 2nd one sprayed a little when I hit it lungs, the 3rd spray a lot when I tried to hit the lungs. A 4th got caught in a cuff, no spraying, until another skunk came by to fight with the one caught in the trap, one skunk sprayed the other a little. I took it out with a syringe of acetone on a long pole later in the day.
That's such an odd trick on dropping them. They just drop and lights out.

Reactions: Bandito
What's the sport of using a cuff? I built a bong/feeder from PVC pipe to teach the coon how to use a cuff, but later just use the bong and Harbor Freight garage alarm, or webcam. More sporting and I don't have to remove the cuff and have everything torn up around it. The bong filled with dry cat food. They hang around for many minutes so you can take your time for the lineup the best shot. Drill drain holes on the bottom or rain may make a mess, smelling worst the vomit and sewage. Note the angled access spout. My 1st version copied many seen online with a horizontal tube. Not good as skunks and opossums can clean it out too. Making the tube long enough and angled up stops the other critters and slows how fast the coons can eat. I still have seen mice and rats go inside :(

Raccoons fighting over who take a hit from the bong.
that was great hahahaha

Raccoon removal from home isn’t sport for me. The cuff makes sure I don’t have a wounded coon running around terrorizing the neighborhood. I’m not in the woods.
Exactly my thinking on it. I've seen how they get when injured and it ain't pretty. A 20+lbs pissed off coon is a liability.

Anchoring those traps is no joke. I bought these when I bought my traps

bury them straight down with just the loop exposed. I can’t pull one out without tools. None of my trapped coons have even loosened one.

For stakes I turned down one end of some 1/2 rebar on a lathe to a point, welded a retaining washer on the top and pounded 1' into hard dirt. Don't leave much above the ground to minimize leverage.

Never got pulled out. However if the coon is really smart it could wiggly it around are 360 degrees while occasionally pulling up and it may come out :)

Agreed an angry wounding coon running around is bad news! I've seen them pissed off when I went to dispatch stuck on a cuff, but forgot to compensate for the 15' range and hit 2" low. It was pissed off!

What's the sport of using a cuff? I built a bong/feeder from PVC pipe to teach the coon how to use a cuff, but later just use the bong and Harbor Freight garage alarm, or webcam. More sporting and I don't have to remove the cuff and have everything torn up around it. The bong filled with dry cat food. They hang around for many minutes so you can take your time for the lineup the best shot. Drill drain holes on the bottom or rain may make a mess, smelling worst the vomit and sewage. Note the angled access spout. My 1st version copied many seen online with a horizontal tube. Not good as skunks and opossums can clean it out too. Making the tube long enough and angled up stops the other critters and slows how fast the coons can eat. I still have seen mice and rats go inside :(

Raccoons fighting over who take a hit from the bong.
Possible to get a daylight picture of the feeder? What would you do differently to make it weather resistant?

The main body is 2.5" PVC in the feeder tube is 1.5 PVC. The feeder tube is about 3.5 to 4 in long to minimize or prevent skunks from cleaning you out. Because it's at an angle it's harder for them to get the food so it lasts longer it keeps some occupied longer. Last night one Coon came by and stayed for about a half an hour eating I was too lazy to wake up to get it at 5:00 a.m. and there was only around 2 in of food in the main tube and it lasted 1/2 an hour. I only fill it up about 4" high. Could have made it smaller. I think a small "roof" over the opening can prevent rain from entering especially if you point the opening away from the side the rain typically blows from. The feeding tube was cut at a 90 angle that I later cut more off to make sort of a roof.

It's funny to watch the coons work so hard for each bit of cat food. They pull it out with one paw and drop a lot of it on the ground and start sniffing on the ground to get the morsels.

Now that I have a 3D printer I would printer one smaller with a roof and small drain holes on the bottom with integrated mounting tabs so it can be staked into the ground or tied to a tree.

PXL_20240930_221514952.jpg

PXL_20240930_221453101.jpg

PXL_20240930_221404013.jpg

Last edited: