RTI Some Mora

Yeah - my shroud was a touch loose as well. I moved the rear part up tiny bit to I could snug the shroud tighter.

I did install the .30 insert this morning. Doesn't appear to be any clipping going on with it.

Regarding the nut to free-float or lock-down the barrel. Have you messed with that at all? Im not sure I understand the free float idea as if you remove the barrel you cannot easily take off the nut and there is still a plastic bushing on the barrel which seems to hold it in place. So how do you free-float the barrel without having a nut rattling around?

Yeah - my shroud was a touch loose as well. I moved the rear part up tiny bit to I could snug the shroud tighter.

I did install the .30 insert this morning. Doesn't appear to be any clipping going on with it.

Regarding the nut to free-float or lock-down the barrel. Have you messed with that at all? Im not sure I understand the free float idea as if you remove the barrel you cannot easily take off the nut and there is still a plastic bushing on the barrel which seems to hold it in place. So how do you free-float the barrel without having a nut rattling around?
I haven’t messed with that. It’s super accurate in the semi floated config and I think it’s less susceptible to POI shenanigans resulting from handling.

Perhaps just ask your target critter to hold one end of a drainpipe that you can shoot through?
nah, more fun with long suppressor

1727412424946.png

I do not have my Mora yet, but I have experience with moderator alignment issues with several guns and some experience with the RTI HUSH moderators. First, the wrapped foam sheet over a perforated tube is about the worst performing moderator design ever made. In other words almost every other design works better. Secondly, the internal diameter is MUCH larger than the exit diameter of the pellet/slug from the barrel. This is probably done on purpose to compensate for moderator to barrel misalignment. Good alignment and tight bore clearance really helps in noise attenuation. Like most issues, this alignment issue cannot be resolved until it is first discovered. My solution is to make an aluminum rod that is the diameter of the barrel exit diameter for about 2 inches. Some barrels are choked and others are not. So this size must be measured. I use pin gauges. This rod needs to be long enough to extend from the gun barrel to just beyond the end of the mounted moderator. Then simply by inserting the rod through the moderator into the barrel any cant can be easily observed.

It is unfortunate that this issue is very common, but the cause of any misalignment cannot be discovered until it is first known, hence the value of the test rod. In most cases the cause is shroud to barrel misalignment. I really do like the MORA's use of the shroud as an expansion chamber to reduce sound. I know from personal experience how well that works.

Reactions: Rizz01
I do not have my Mora yet, but I have experience with moderator alignment issues with several guns and some experience with the RTI HUSH moderators. First, the wrapped foam sheet over a perforated tube is about the worst performing moderator design ever made. In other words almost every other design works better. Secondly, the internal diameter is MUCH larger than the exit diameter of the pellet/slug from the barrel. This is probably done on purpose to compensate for moderator to barrel misalignment. Good alignment and tight bore clearance really helps in noise attenuation. Like most issues, this alignment issue cannot be resolved until it is first discovered. My solution is to make an aluminum rod that is the diameter of the barrel exit diameter for about 2 inches. Some barrels are choked and others are not. So this size must be measured. I use pin gauges. This rod needs to be long enough to extend from the gun barrel to just beyond the end of the mounted moderator. Then simply by inserting the rod through the moderator into the barrel any cant can be easily observed.

It is unfortunate that this issue is very common, but the cause of any misalignment cannot be discovered until it is first known, hence the value of the test rod. In most cases the cause is shroud to barrel misalignment. I really do like the MORA's use of the shroud as an expansion chamber to reduce sound. I know from personal experience how well that works.
Hi Steve,

I agree with your assessment that it’s a crude design. It’s a Hush within the shroud and then another Hush screwed on, which is a long path of baffles for the projectile to make it through unscathed. So, no wonder the baffle diameters are less than optimal and no wonder that some folks have still encountered clipping. Also the joint between the shroud and Hush is facilitated by very loose threads, so users better make sure that it remains screwed on tight. Nonetheless it’s shockingly quiet in my .22/600mm Mora, likely simply due to the enormous volume, as you point out. With an efficient cone baffled “moderator” in the shroud, I suspect that it wouldn’t need the add on Hush, which would be great, because as it stands, with the Hush, this 600mm gun is actually a 700mm gun.

Reactions: Rizz01