RTI Some Mora

weevil

Dec 19, 2022
Utah
This angry looking beast showed up looking to marry my Viper 5-25 scope and get jiggly with some Altaros 40 grain slugs. Who am I to say no?

IMG_0871.jpeg

It’s going to be a slow roll. The first impressions are that it’s heavy but stupidly quiet shooting the Altaros Kings at 900fps for 72fpe. Maybe I’ll get a chance to sight it in tonight. Absolutely crazy quiet and plenty backyard friendly, if 72fpe is your backyard thing (not me). Did I say quiet? It’s absurdly quiet, 🤫, in case you missed that…

It’s going to be a slow roll. The first impressions are that it’s heavy but stupidly quiet shooting the Altaros Kings at 900fps for 72fpe. Maybe I’ll get a chance to sight it in tonight. Absolutely crazy quiet and plenty backyard friendly, if 72fpe is your backyard thing (not me). Did I say quiet? It’s absurdly quiet, 🤫, in case you missed that…
What a beauty!
40 grain slugs, 72 FPE, quiet, and backyard friendly are not something I hear often in the same sentence!
Looking forward to more of your impressions and accuracy feedback!

Reactions: weevil
Trigger adjusted to my liking and it’s extremely good. Shot my way through the first box of slugs at 40-50 yard range to get a feel for the mechanics and consistency in slug speed. Regs can take a bit longer to bed in before passing judgment. That said, I am finding very good consistency even at different input (tank) pressures. ES around 5fps. My understanding is that the Mora has two regs but that adjustment is only available for the second (plenum side) reg, which is set at 150bar. The refresh seems to be very quick based on observing the gauge and shot speed consistency.

My outdoor 100y “range” was messed up by a storm and I don’t have the time to fix it right now. I will go to an indoor 100y range at the weekend but it’s already clear that this combo of Mora and Altaros is ridiculously accurate. I know the performance traits of these slugs in different barrels and will be amazed if they don’t hold up at 100 and beyond.

I sense that this is a pussy cat tune for this beast which is “only” the 600mm barreled “Standard” model. I’m subscribed to the wisdom that these slugs work best at 880-900fps and with a BC of 0.21, I don’t need to dance with the transonic, which kicks in at lower speed at my elevation. However, I have no doubt that it could shoot these (or other) 40g slugs in excess of 1000fps. The 700mm sniper version should be able to make 90-100fpe, in .22!

Based on the available power, sedate shot cycle and lack of noise, I will step up and state that this is a game changer in .22 slug shooting. The report is truly akin to a couple of 13fpe .177s that I use for backyard rats when things need to be as quiet as possible. I’m not going to switch to the 72fpe Mora for that, but with a lower power pellet tune, this would be truly mouse fart quiet. As I shoot, I can hear the click of the trigger. The hammer (with the assisted valve) is barely noticeable and the enormous shroud and can are extremely effective. If it weren’t for the chronograph and the fact that it’s smashing my duct seal targets into pieces, I’d think that something has gone wrong. Another big positive is the magazines. Very easy to load and use and the 40g Altaros take up only half of the available length.

A few little gripes: The shroud was not screwed on tight on arrival and the trigger was set to go off from a hair on the finger. I appreciate that it can be set so light but some excited new owner who jumps right into shooting, expecting two stages, could have a nasty surprise. I’m also not fond of the cocking mechanism and throw, maybe overly spoiled by the Taipan Vet 2, which is perfection. The Mora has a long throw, most of which is simply moving the probe and therefore has no resistance. Then the final 20% cocks the hammer, which doesn’t involve much spring, but happens over a very short portion of stroke. Relative to the Taipan, it feels coarse and awkward. Then again, so do many others, including the Panthera. What else to complain about? I’m not crazy about the rail under the bottle, which is only fixed at the trigger block. It’s remarkably sturdy but Im already thinking about 3D printing something to support it using the bottle. Like many others, I didn’t get a cheek piece, but I think it just got sent out in the mail.

Overall, my first impression here is that this thing is truly next-level, with a few minor flaws. Of course, it could fall apart in the next few days and it is for sure a beta testing purchase.

Anyway, I’m very excited to get some “Mora this” and will keep updating. Gotta resist the temptation to use this as the default silent option for backyard rats!

Reactions: Gsxs750
It's nice to read some other impressions of the Mora. I've only had a chance for one outing with my .25 Mora Standard and it was a learning curve session on setting up the rifle and tuning it. I am looking forward to an actual manual as I don't want to touch too much without knowing what's going on.

I did tweak the trigger a little bit. Made the first stage a bit heavier and then lightened the 2nd a touch.

Other than that I am tuned @190bar for the Altaros 66gr .25 Kings @ 890-895 fps for just under 120fpe. At this power the rifle is definitely not backyard friendly, but the shot cycle is still pretty smooth. Need to get back out there and test this tune at 50 and 100 yards.

I'm not going to call this rifle a game changer, as there are several rifles putting out similar power with their balanced valves. I can think of the Panthera and the Epic Two. I know there's one or two others. That being said I am really liking the RTI Mora - it's a big heavy gun but very fun to shoot.

As @weevil mentioned - I got a shipment notice from Tony as well which I assume is the cheek riser.

It's nice to read some other impressions of the Mora. I've only had a chance for one outing with my .25 Mora Standard and it was a learning curve session on setting up the rifle and tuning it. I am looking forward to an actual manual as I don't want to touch too much without knowing what's going on.

I did tweak the trigger a little bit. Made the first stage a bit heavier and then lightened the 2nd a touch.

Other than that I am tuned @190bar for the Altaros 66gr .25 Kings @ 890-895 fps for just under 120fpe. At this power the rifle is definitely not backyard friendly, but the shot cycle is still pretty smooth. Need to get back out there and test this tune at 50 and 100 yards.

I'm not going to call this rifle a game changer, as there are several rifles putting out similar power with their balanced valves. I can think of the Panthera and the Epic Two. I know there's one or two others. That being said I am really liking the RTI Mora - it's a big heavy gun but very fun to shoot.

As @weevil mentioned - I got a shipment notice from Tony as well which I assume is the cheek riser.
Thanks for your input and earlier thread, which was very useful. There certainly may be others that elevate the game too and I should point out that my comparison is really focused on changing up from a Panthera 600 22. In that comparison, the Panthera felt settled shooting 32 grain. Going to 40 turned it into an angry gun. So, there’s a clear gain with the Mora, running even more sweetly than the Panthera with even heavier slugs.

As far as noise, all systems have a breakpoint and you’re shooting at 50fpe more. Clearly, the system is designed to accommodate a 220fpe .357, at which point, I’m sure it’s at a point of insufficiency. I can only speak to the .22 and in that case, the suppression is absurdly effective. The tune seems really dialed in based on sound and efficiency, in my case. I won’t be adjusting anything if it passes muster at longer range. The manual is sorely needed. Good luck, fellow beta tester!

Some 85y shots (12) including the first shot after sitting for 24h with 200bar in the tank. This followed zeroing at 40y and slightly underestimating the holdover.

I felt some lateral shift on a few of these and need to find a bigger front bag to secure the wide front rail. So, I think this can be a lot better with the support figured out. But, it shows great potential and no obvious creep or stiction on the first shot. Still can’t believe that it’s delivering 72fpe with just a clicking sound.

IMG_0872.jpeg

One of the recovered slugs, fully expanded:

IMG_0873.jpeg

Please check in tomorrow. I have secured an opportunity with a local company (who will soon be making slugs) to test the Mora in a facility where the gun will be clamped and monitored for any POA movement (during cocking, etc) with IR lasers, shooting indoors at 100y. A strict evaluation of its capabilities without a human operator! They are keen to see what a current high end .22 can do with a “premium” (Altaros) slug.

It also really needs that cheek piece to get my sighting on point at 25X
Yes - definitely does. I was having trouble seeing through my scope at the range the first time around.

Next range trip I am going to try a bipod using a 60mm bottle pic rail rather than the front rail which has a little bounce to it.