• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Results Southwest Airgunners Aspen Mtn June 2023 Match Report

This is going to be a long one, requiring multiple posts (photo limit/post).

The June 2023 match is a done deal, and it was as much or more fun than past matches at this site have been.

This was the hub of activity once we arrived and got set up...All three photos taken from the same position but looking west, then south, and then east. South includes the silhoutte area.
west.jpg

south.jpg

east.jpg

The Aspen Mtn matches take place at 8600 feet above sea level, high in the mountains of western New Mexico. Specifically, the match site is about 10 miles south of Luna, NM and about 3-4 miles away from the pavement. No cell service, crystal clear night skies, hardly any vehicular traffic, and minimal signs of a humans touch....spending time here makes a person acutely aware of the fact that there are thoroughly wild areas still available here in the United States, despite our mostly modern way of life. More on that at the end of the report....

Here are some photos Larry took of the forest service road leading into the area...
heading into the match site.jpg

heading into the match site1.jpg

The weather for this match was beautiful, night temps in the low 40s, highs in the upper 60s, many of us wore at least long sleeves for the duration of the weekend, and scrambled for an extra layer or two as the sun set each day. Winds were BEARable, definitely not howling, (again, more on that in a minute) with characteristically-for-the-area swirling winds coming from just about every direction. I would estimate even the gusts on Saturday morning during the rifle ft match were at most 8-10mph.

We had a few newcomers this month, with Mike A and his wife driving in from Oklahoma. Norman, Jeff, and Ote (father, son-in-law, grandson trio) were also first-timers for an Aspen Mtn Match. Rounding out the new-to-field target group was Travis R, who dropped by and shot a few lanes before needing to take off for prior engagements. It was fun to get to know these new folks and hope to see them again at future Aspen Mtn matches.

As has become custom for these matches, the silhouette match took place Friday evening. Instead of 40, 50, 60, 70 yards, Rex decided to make it a bit more challenging this month, by stretching it to 50, 60, 70, 80 yards. Let me tell ya, shooting at little 1/5 scale chickens at 80 yards from a stool and shooting sticks, with a mere 19.5fpe small bore airgun makes a guy feel a bit undergunned. But somehow Rex was able to only miss one shot, putting him in first place. I think it might have even been his very last shot. Regardless, very impressive. Misses listed for the top three scorers.

Silhouette score
silhouette results.jpg

The rifle field target match was held Saturday morning. We were pleased to have a total of 16 shooters, nearly all shooting in the Hunter class.
Here is the rifle winner, Steve Q.
winner rifle Hunter.jpg

There were 6 targets with Troyers higher than 41. The overall Troyer for the course was a 34.2, putting it in the "expert" category. I included stats for the 3 highest T targets.
And the rifle results....
rifle results.jpg

For the three high scores....
  • Steve's singular miss was on lane 6, a 1" kill zone at 39, making it a T of 39.
  • My two misses were a 1.5" kz at 46 yards on lane 2 (I got it on the first shot but the second was a split right between 12 and 1 oclock, wind shifted on me and lifted the pellet) and a 3/8" kz at 12 yards right in the middle of my 5 year old's temper tantrum.
  • Rex's three misses were: a misranged target on lane 1 (1.25"kz @ 47 yards) he hit high, at 12 oclock, he held at 3 oclock for the 1.5" kz at 55 on lane 9 for wind....and hit right at 3oclock, and he couldn't see the beat up kill zone on the frog on a log target, which was the 1/2" kz @ 22yards (highest T of the course).
Honorable mention needs to go to Norman for shooting a 31 in his very first ft match. I understand he left the match with that Red Wolf as his newest possession, so we should be seeing more of Norman. Norman also deserves some credit for the delicious beef stew, biscuits, salad, and cobbler he made for us on Friday night. Very kind of him and the meal was greatly appreciated. Newcomer Travis also needs some recognition, he only had time for 6 lanes, and only missed 3 shots in those 24 total shots.

There are always more stories within the match than can effectively be conveyed, but I'll touch on a few......
  • My son Colben was squadded with Ben. Colben has always shot with me, but I mentioned at lane assignment that he's been managing his own gun, ranging, dope, etc for a couple years now, and could be squadded with somebody so that we had all shooting squads of 2 each. Ben reported that it was very enjoyable to shoot with my little buddy Colben. As much of an airgun mentor as Ben has been for so many shooters in the southwest, it was kinda cool to see him and Colben take off for their assigned course after the shooters meeting, poetic almost.
  • For the 6 or so years that I've been involved in field target, matches have always been a reason to get together and swap airgun stories, as well as airgun gear. And some gear certainly changed hands this month. Larry sold Norman a Red Wolf. A USFT found a new owner (my USFT is still safely mine, this was a different specimen). I sold some pellets, to two different recipients. I also bought a scope from Dan, intended to go on my 5 year old son Cabe's gun, eventually.
  • Cabe was extremely excited to shoot in his first match. He did pretty well on the first couple lanes, knocking down both near shots on two different lanes, the 1/2" kz at 13 yards and the 1/2" kz at 14 yards, but he got frustrated when we got to some targets placed around 5 feet off the ground. He just couldn't get situated to find the targets, since most of our practice had been at targets on the ground. Saying he got frustrated is actually a bit of an understatement, as he actually completely lost his cool. His punishment for the temper tantrum was that I didn't let him finish shooting the rest of the match. He was pretty upset with me, but on the way home was already talking about practicing on targets NOT on the ground, and excited to try out the new scope acquired from Dan.
Pistol Match
After lunch we shot through the pistol course. We had set 13 lanes total, with the first 10 lanes having three targets, but only two strings ran. Steve and Rex reran the strings, basically dropping the hardest target from the rifle match, and adding in another pistol target. The Troyer average for those 10 rifle/pistol targets was a 32, and the Troyer average for the 10 new pistol targets was a 21, making the overall pistol average a Troyer of 26.5. There were 6 targets for the pistol match that would be illegal at an AAFTA Grand Prix.
Here is the pistol winner....Rex
winner pistol.jpg

Pistol results
pistol results.jpg

I was feeling like my 35/40 would net me the win, but I was quite surprised to see Rex's PERFECT score. I'd bet money that the # of field target shooters that have ever shot a perfect score in a pistol match is very small. AND Rex did it with 6 targets that would have been too difficult at a Grand Prix! Very impressive.

Always a lot of 1720Ts in the mix at a pistol FT match.

Reactions: Solo1 and Aimright
As alluded to earlier, we had a few experiences with wild critters this match. The least wild was this little guy....
horny toad.jpg

horny toad1.jpg

horny toad2.jpg

And the less tame were experiences with wolves and bears. Really.
Jeff and Norman and Ote went for a drive Saturday evening and found a bear about 1/8th of a mile south of the match site. They filmed him with a phone and showed us. Pretty healthy looking cinnamon colored black bear. Me and the boys were in a tent and it was a bit hard to sleep, knowing a bear was in the area. Every time the tent flapped with the gentle night wind I was wide awake, wondering if I was gonna be bear poop. And that's how the night went, until 330 when the wolf started howling. Really. This area is part of the Mexican grey wolf reintroduction area. That wolf howled from 330 to 400 am. I would estimate the wolf was within a couple hundred yards of our camp site. It was close enough that Jeff was able to hit record on his phone and get the sorrowful, mourning, haunting crys of that wolf. Just thinking about it right now might have given me the goosebumps. A wolf howling is a VERY different sound than a coyote howling. Coyotes have a high pitch yip yap that reminds one of a purse puppy. A coyote howl is almost comical, a tongue in cheek bold declaration that it's owner eats carrion for a living, and wont hesitate to chomp down on your little house cat named fluffy. Hearing a coyote howl is all that is needed to understand why coyotes were tricksters in Native American oral tradition. In contrast, the wolf has a distinguished, long, deep howl, one with soul, one that says I'm the master of my domain. A howl that reminds all that hear it that there is nothing big enough nor mean enough, nor resilient enough in these woods for the owner of that howl and his pack to not take down and consume, while still alive.

To add insult to injury, during course teardown, it was discovered that one of the orange cone lane markers had been used by a bear in the night as his personal chew toy. There were no dogs present with any of the campers. And none of the lane markers were more than 200 yards from my tent.

Suffice it to say me and the boys are looking at more hard-walled options for camping at the future Aspen Mtn matches.

Here's a photo we took on Sunday morning, on the way out.
scenic overlook.jpg

Thanks to Franz and Larry for helping out with photos. Much appreciation to Rex and Callists for painting the targets. And to all of the crew involved in putting up and tearing down the course. And finally, thank you to all of the shooters who came to have fun, as Rex said during the pre-match meeting, we can't have a match without shooters.

Thank you all for the great weekend. See you next month (and we'll be dragging the trailer to sleep in:oops::sleep:).

Great write up Cole!! It was a great weekend to get away from the hussle and bustle and heat of Phoenix for a few days. Everyone had an awesome time even those of us that do not share the skill sets of the more seasoned shooters. It was really good to see the faces of everyone we shoot with and learn the faces of some new shooters. With Mike A. having endured the 12 hour drive from his home in Oklahoma. As for the wildlife, they sometimes have to visit just to let us know that we are actually the visitors! I suspect that Norman cooking the dutch oven smorgasbord out in the open air had a big part in those critters coming closer to camp than they might normally do. HEY, everyone likes a free meal. Especially those kinds of creatures with spectacular smelling!
Thx
Dan

I've got to hand it to you guys, you put on a very good event. You all certainly showed me how it's done. I was somewhat satisfied with my showing at the silhouette shoot as I'd never done one before, but those chickens at the long distances did me in. I think I let your course layout for the field shoot kick my tail. If I hadn't been shooting with someone that knew their way around, I'd still be looking for the next target lane. It was a lot of fun though to get the opportunity to shoot in a totally different setting than usual. The area is beautiful and it was great to be in the mountains with the wildlife and spectacular views. It was great to meet and visit with several of the names you read about on AGN. What a great bunch of guys. My wife and I had a good trip with zero issues other than the hailstorm we drove through as we got into the Texas panhandle. I hope to make it again.

Outstanding report and photos! I envy you having heard an honest-to-gosh wolf in the wild.
New Mexico's bears can easily morph from one of nature's nobler creatures to a legitimate menace. My first brush with them came years ago in 1968, at Philmont Scout Ranch up near Cimarron. We had been warned to put food, candy, deodorant, etc. in bags hoisted into the trees. A scout from another council a few tents away forgot this rule and was mauled during the night.
That high-elevation pine forest takes me back home to Oregon, to the dry east side of the Cascade Mountains.

Reactions: Franklink
I've got to hand it to you guys, you put on a very good event. You all certainly showed me how it's done. I was somewhat satisfied with my showing at the silhouette shoot as I'd never done one before, but those chickens at the long distances did me in. I think I let your course layout for the field shoot kick my tail. If I hadn't been shooting with someone that knew their way around, I'd still be looking for the next target lane. It was a lot of fun though to get the opportunity to shoot in a totally different setting than usual. The area is beautiful and it was great to be in the mountains with the wildlife and spectacular views. It was great to meet and visit with several of the names you read about on AGN. What a great bunch of guys. My wife and I had a good trip with zero issues other than the hailstorm we drove through as we got into the Texas panhandle. I hope to make it again.

Glad you had fun. Hope to see you again at a future match.