Spraying Slugs?

I'm very new to PCP and shooting but am reading everything I can find.

One manufacturer recommended spraying their slugs with silicone spray to prevent barrel fouling -
I'm not shooting their slugs but tried it on the ones I am using.

I'm shooting H&N Slug HP II 34 gr - I'm getting about 862 FPS and the STD DEV in an 8 shot string is averaging 3.5 with the slugs straight out of the can but sprayed with silicone it drops to a Std Dev of 1.8 - same average speed but much tighter range.

I'm not yet a very good shot but my group was larger with the treated pellets - opposite of what I expected -

I am shooting outdoors so there are never two exact same strings.

At 25M and 50M these are shooting interchangeably with the Diablo Match King Heavy MK II pellets - which are averaging 870 FPS at 33.95 gr. and a Std Dev of 2

Shooting an Avenge-X 25 cal at 175 bar and "5 turns plus two nudges" on the hammer spring

Thoughts or suggestions?

Most use ammo as it comes from manufacturer, those who clean first, apply lube sparingly, like spraying on paper towel and rolling clean, dry pellets or slugs on same. YouTube should have some pellet washing videos which include lubricant application. Lubricating ammo isn't my choice, rather clean barrel when accuracy falls off, though, experiment and do what works best for you. WM