• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Springer power mods tips??

I was agreeing,if you read my response.

"The Howlers did decent.
only reason I see to use slugs in a spring gun is if you can swage your own for cheap"
Sorry i didn't see your response as it was boxed in at the bottom of the quote of my post. I didn't open my quote as I knew what I wrote.
No big deal.

If you noticed, the Howlers while reasonably accurate made several pounds of energy less at the muzzle than the standard pellets. In all fairness I didnt notice if the difference in energy was less at the target due to the slugs. better BC.

Reactions: harrympope
More power in a springer equals a bigger slap in the cheek and a harder to shoot gun. The laws of physics are what they are. That’s why we deal with PCP leaks and compressor rebuilds.
I enjoy the challenge of shooting a springer with its quirks. I like my PCPs too. Just for different reasons

Hello everyone, this subject is one of my passions. What he is asking for can probably be done with a .177 caliber springers but not with the weight he wants. There are a number of variables that come to play with a spring(gas ram)gun. I wish there was a way we could all have a live conversation about this so I could go into more detail about all the variables. I will try to go into short detail about 1. Temperature, really effects what power you will get from these guns. Hotter air gives more pressure then cold air that simple. My oldest son( which this was a humble experience showed me) . Take a hair dryer and warm up a cold compression tube it don't take long about 2 or 3 minutes. Make the tube warm NOT hot to the touch. Chrony the gun then warm the compression tube as stated above. For every degree up you will gain about 1.26 fps. For the people that think I am crazy, please read what Tom Gaylord wrote.
One attraction I usually see at the Cup is Rich Shar. Rich drives over from Indiana to show me what he has done with his bevy of large-caliber breakbarrel springers. I have reported on this before, but every year Rich raise the power bar a little higher and increases the smoothness at the same time. The first rifle I fired was his custom .30 cal. Hatsan 135.

Tom shoot

I’m shooting a custom .30 cal. Hatsan 135 that Rich built a couple years ago. He has continued to use it as his testbed and I must tell you — this .30 caliber powerhouse shoots as smooth as an ASP20!

Hatsan and Sig — you had both better pay attention. Rich has used his son’s knowledge of materials to continually improve the performance of this powerhouse. How far has he gone? Would you believe a breakbarrel spring-piston air rifle can generate 44.91 foot-pounds and still not slap your face?

pellet

The rifle I am shooting shot this 51.15-grain pellet…

chrono

… this fast! I took the picture because I couldn’t believe it! A stock rifle is about 100 f.p.s. slower. Hatsan knows!

This year Rich showed me a Gamo Magnum that he had reworked. I was surprised at how smooth it shot. It felt like an HW 50 that had an application of Tune in a Tube, yet this is a full-power breakbarrel magnum springer! So — Gamo — pay attention, too. Rich Shar has secrets of power and smoothness that all manufacturers could benefit from. Some of his treatments are labor-intensive and not suited to rate production, but others are! He’s worth talking to!

Hello everyone, this subject is one of my passions. What he is asking for can probably be done with a .177 caliber springers but not with the weight he wants. There are a number of variables that come to play with a spring(gas ram)gun. I wish there was a way we could all have a live conversation about this so I could go into more detail about all the variables. I will try to go into short detail about 1. Temperature, really effects what power you will get from these guns. Hotter air gives more pressure then cold air that simple. My oldest son( which this was a humble experience showed me) . Take a hair dryer and warm up a cold compression tube it don't take long about 2 or 3 minutes. Make the tube warm NOT hot to the touch. Chrony the gun then warm the compression tube as stated above. For every degree up you will gain about 1.26 fps. For the people that think I am crazy, please read what Tom Gaylord wrote.
One attraction I usually see at the Cup is Rich Shar. Rich drives over from Indiana to show me what he has done with his bevy of large-caliber breakbarrel springers. I have reported on this before, but every year Rich raise the power bar a little higher and increases the smoothness at the same time. The first rifle I fired was his custom .30 cal. Hatsan 135.

Tom shoot

I’m shooting a custom .30 cal. Hatsan 135 that Rich built a couple years ago. He has continued to use it as his testbed and I must tell you — this .30 caliber powerhouse shoots as smooth as an ASP20!

Hatsan and Sig — you had both better pay attention. Rich has used his son’s knowledge of materials to continually improve the performance of this powerhouse. How far has he gone? Would you believe a breakbarrel spring-piston air rifle can generate 44.91 foot-pounds and still not slap your face?

pellet

chrono

… this fast! I took the picture because I couldn’t believe it! A stock rifle is about 100 f.p.s. slower. Hatsan knows!

This year Rich showed me a Gamo Magnum that he had reworked. I was surprised at how smooth it shot. It felt like an HW 50 that had an application of Tune in a Tube, yet this is a full-power breakbarrel magnum springer! So — Gamo — pay attention, too. Rich Shar has secrets of power and smoothness that all manufacturers could benefit from. Some of his treatments are labor-intensive and not suited to rate production, but others are! He’s worth talking to!
How do I reach Rich Shar? I’d love to send him my Magnums.

Tom shoot

pellet

chrono

I'd very much like to see him take that same rifle and slugs of a similar weight to the JSB's and do some testing to see what kinds of numbers he gets with slugs vs pellets. From my own limited tinkering, although mine was with .20 caliber , the just about grain lesser weight NSA 14.9gr slugs were lower than the numbers I got with the JSB 15.89gr Heavy .20 cal pellets.
As already said earlier, tinkering and pushing the envelope is what's gotten the sport to where it is today so by all means tinker away, then come here and post away on the results of all that tinkering.

Reactions: BABz58
I enjoy the challenge of shooting a springer with its quirks. I like my PCPs too. Just for different reasons
Exactly. And for some reason I find the super magnums to be particularly entertaining. There’s something about shooting a target with a powerful springer that just makes it more satisfying than shooting it with an equivalent PCP. My Hatsan 135 might not be any more powerful than my AA S410 but something about the heft and the recoil just entertains my lizard brain more when I score a hit on something.

With the S410 it’s all about shooting that super tight group or hitting an aspirin tablet at 50 yards and I get a calm sort of satisfaction from it. With the Hatsan it’s more about shooting things that splatter or go flying and it’s the stupid joy of being destructive.