• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Springer power mods tips??

In my searches for how to tune a Spring action Break barrel rifle. Most responses are to tune down the power for better accuracy.

I GET IT THAT ACCURACY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN POWER.

Why do I want more power? Simple. I want to shoot slugs @ 1000+ FPS. Because that speed and higher = better accuracy when shooting slugs.

So surely the port can be enlarged to flow air better. Polish the barrel, polish the crown. Maybe go with a 6in longer barrel. Shim the spring, stronger spring, quality spring guides .
I’m thinking these along with other things can be done to improve power and accuracy.

Surely someone has some tips that are more helpful than the standard answer of de-tuning it. 🤞🤞

maybe an hw90 gas ram would be better as with the pump you can adjust the power? I'd imagine cocking a spring or gas gun to get 1000 fps with heavy slugs would be daunting.ive had a few 25 fpe plus break barrels and they were not a joy to cock or shoot accurate.
I will look into that. Thank you

Start with either a heavier spring or maxing out the preload on the existing spring. A longer barrel isn't going to give you anything on a break barrel. You may actually be better off shortening it a hair to remove the choke.

Your best bet would be to just go buy a Gamo Magnum, Diana 350, Hatsan 135, or any other large piston, large compression chamber gun and going from there. The 135 will get ulyou upwards of 40fpe by bumping the ram pressure up some

I shoot round balls out of a Hatsan 130, I tapered the lead so the ball half fits in and closing it pushes it the rest of the way in, I also lightly wax the balls with a bullet lube. You can smell it burning but it doesn't add to velocity it is a very light coat. I melted some wax in the bottom of a tuna can and just roll them around on top of the hardened wax. They seem to shoot just as well as pellets if not a bit harder.

Start with either a heavier spring or maxing out the preload on the existing spring. A longer barrel isn't going to give you anything on a break barrel. You may actually be better off shortening it a hair to remove the choke.

Your best bet would be to just go buy a Gamo Magnum, Diana 350, Hatsan 135, or any other large piston, large compression chamber gun and going from there. The 135 will get ulyou upwards of 40fpe by bumping the ram pressure up some
I gave the Gamo Magnum.25. And Gamo Magnum.22.

Read "airgun from trigger to target" 1st.

John
Little pricey lol

IMG_1218.png

To the OP, read Cardews books. Wanting to shoot slugs 1000 ft per second out of a springer is a road to nowhere. If you are going to accomplish this you're not going to shoot the gun very often afterwards because it won't be accurate and it will tear itself apart.

With your goal I would strongly encourage you to enter the world of PCP. Less money, less brain damage, less trial and error and a more pleasant shooting experience with accuracy as an added benefit

To the OP, read Cardews books. Wanting to shoot slugs 1000 ft per second out of a springer is a road to nowhere. If you are going to accomplish this you're not going to shoot the gun very often afterwards because it won't be accurate and it will tear itself apart.

With your goal I would strongly encourage you to enter the world of PCP. Less money, less brain damage, less trial and error and a more pleasant shooting experience with accuracy as an added benefit
It really shouldn’t be THAT hard to take a Magnum springer in .22 that shoots lightweight pellets at 1300fps. To get it up to 1000fps with a moderate weight slug like the peanut 🤷🏻‍♂️

Kinda what I’m afraid of. Springers are basically just best suited for paper punching
This is exercise in futility. There's a lot to be said for marksmanship. Given a reasonable range for the power level, springers are fine. Most of my springers perform very well under a certain yardage. Past that I flip to rimfires.

Reactions: maxtrouble
I gave the Gamo Magnum.25. And Gamo Magnum.22.
Short of dieseling it or retrofitting an ungodly high pressure ram in there I think you're basically maxed. You may be able to preload the ram some depending on its stroke to increase max cocked pressure. Never tried that though. More realistically your goal is out of reach. You're talking about pushing 40+ fpe out of a Gamo. Even if you could the gun may break. That's a lot of rearward pressure on cross pins not to mention the force required to cock the gun may bend the barrel.

Reactions: beerthief
Kinda what I’m afraid of. Springers are basically just best suited for paper punching
This kinda brings us back to the point you wanted us to ignore. People tame these guns so they're better for pest control. I've taken two squirrels now with an FWB 300, one being over 50 yds. That gun puts out literally 1/5th the power your Gamo Magnum puts out. Accuracy and shot placement are always key and that's a heck of a lot easier with a well behaved gun

From playing a bit with NSA 14.9gr slugs in my Beeman R10 .20, they averaged about 560 fps. The JSB Heavy .20 cal pellets, which are a touch over a grain heavier at 15.89gr shot 27 fps faster, even being heavier, plus they were more accurate than the slugs.
You want to shoot slugs, don't waste the money, time, effort plus potential damage to the rifle trying to overpower what it was meant for and just buy a PCP. Any number of inexpensive ones on the market today, more than a few easily hand pumped that will let you shoot the slugs you want.

Reactions: BABz58
This kinda brings us back to the point you wanted us to ignore. People tame these guns so they're better for pest control. I've taken two squirrels now with an FWB 300, one being over 50 yds. That gun puts out literally 1/5th the power your Gamo Magnum puts out. Accuracy and shot placement are always key and that's a heck of a lot easier with a well behaved gun
Maybe I just underestimated BC of a 12fpe ish detuned for accuracy gun. And at 50 yards you say! Wow. That’s impressive.

But back to my reason for posting this thread.
It seems like everybody and their brother are shooting slugs. Through about every kind of pellet shooting device they have.
But Very Few are getting them up to the right speeds to be accurate and stable.

So I think to myself. How neat would it be to shoot a properly sized .22 slug at or above 1000 fps?!!?
I look at some of the magnum springers and think. Man. That isn’t all that far off from being a reality with some modding of one of them.

Would make the perfect hunting break barrel for raccoons, coyotes, etc.

It’s fun to try isn’t it?