Springtime - and the starlings and squirrels are back

jg21

Feb 19, 2024
Hey folks, as it warms up here the starlings and squirrels are coming in droves. They wreak havoc on my house and most often congregate under eaves or on the roof itself for squirrels. I thought it could be some pretty fun pest control to sit out in the yard and try to pick ‘em off from their favorite spots but obviously I don’t want to do any heavy damage to the asphalt shingles, the old wooden soffit (1800s home) or anything else. What’s my best Airgun option for this job? I was thinking something in .177 that edges on the low side of ft-lbs to humanely kill the pests so in the event of a miss or pass thru the collateral is low.

Is this even possible? Or just plain stupid. Additionally there are some other houses nearby - so I can’t be slangin heavy slugs up in the air. Perhaps I shouldn’t shoot anything upwards at all. So … maybe a BB gun? That seems a bit absurd but potentially viable.

In that case, any advice to get the buggers on the ground for safe shooting?
These are European starlings (invasive where I am) and grey squirrels.

Let me know what you think or what you’d do!

Set up a bait station, um, a bird feeder. Whack em when they are there.

Otherwise I would use very low power for close shot under the eves.

Wadcutters are the rule. Slow speed hammers that will pass through a hosp or yellow beak, but lose most of its pop.

For what you describe I wouldn’t go over 5fpe.

Squirrels will need more that that in most situations.

If you need power levels that low you won’t be doing much more than injuring them and will need multiple shots. Honestly I would do something different. If you want/need to use an air rifle then get a strong .177, .22 or .25. One shot one kill as they say in another line of work. Practice, make sure of your distances and practice some more. Just my opinion but if you can’t control pests with a single shot safely and effectively then you shoudn’t be shooting at them. If you have the knowledge and skills then get to work. Then again, I’m an old tired ba$tard.

Rick H.

Reactions: jg21
If your goal is "pretty fun pest control", then sure, a feeder will control the pests to be in a particular place to be shot, and insure a steady stream of targets marching up to the trough. I have to wonder though if that will really keep them off the eaves and roof, especially if that is the path to the feeder.
.177 will do the least collateral damage, and really won't do much more than get stuck into shingles or shakes, unless you are shooting hundreds of them into one spot. Neighboring houses, well, one always has to be mindful of what is downrange, but as RickH said, practice until you are not just slinging lead in any old direction. Your shingles and soffit are the backstop, and good incentive to hit the pest instead!
Or you could shoot airsoft and just harass them. That will also insure a steady supply of targets, the same targets over and over; in my experience such pests understand territory and will actually learn to stay off the house, at least when they see the door open. Neighboring pests will also see that and stay away, unlike with a feeder that attracts them.
- Mike

Reactions: jg21
If your goal is "pretty fun pest control", then sure, a feeder will control the pests to be in a particular place to be shot, and insure a steady stream of targets marching up to the trough. I have to wonder though if that will really keep them off the eaves and roof, especially if that is the path to the feeder.
.177 will do the least collateral damage, and really won't do much more than get stuck into shingles or shakes, unless you are shooting hundreds of them into one spot. Neighboring houses, well, one always has to be mindful of what is downrange, but as RickH said, practice until you are not just slinging lead in any old direction. Your shingles and soffit are the backstop, and good incentive to hit the pest instead!
Or you could shoot airsoft and just harass them. That will also insure a steady supply of targets, the same targets over and over; in my experience such pests understand territory and will actually learn to stay off the house, at least when they see the door open. Neighboring pests will also see that and stay away, unlike with a feeder that attracts them.
- Mike
Interesting… yeah the feeder could have unwanted consequences.

If you need power levels that low you won’t be doing much more than injuring them and will need multiple shots. Honestly I would do something different. If you want/need to use an air rifle then get a strong .177, .22 or .25. One shot one kill as they say in another line of work. Practice, make sure of your distances and practice some more. Just my opinion but if you can’t control pests with a single shot safely and effectively then you shoudn’t be shooting at them. If you have the knowledge and skills then get to work. Then again, I’m an old tired ba$tard.

Rick H
Yeah… this is a good point. And that would definitely be a no-no

I’ll have to consider my options. I’ve got some powerful .25 and .22 but I just do not feel comfortable using those in my “residential” area. I mean after all my .25 will pass clean thru 3/4” ply so thats also just terrible for my roof regardless!! Haha

It’s funny. For so long i sought after the gnarliest most powerful air guns now here I am holed up in town and I’ve got overkill… can’t even use em for what they’re intended!

Perhaps I can do some experimenting (on roof shingles etc) with the lower power ones I haven’t owned a 177 in years to be honest, I ditched em for the bigger ones, and PCP!

Set up a bait station, um, a bird feeder. Whack em when they are there.

Otherwise I would use very low power for close shot under the eves.

Wadcutters are the rule. Slow speed hammers that will pass through a hosp or yellow beak, but lose most of its pop.

For what you describe I wouldn’t go over 5fpe.

Squirrels will need more that that in most situations.
What he said and a good backstop behind the feeder would make the 7 fpe HW30 a great option, imo. Wadcutters or the Uber light 5 grain “green”/non-lead pellets to minimize over penetration and ricocheting.

If you shoot up you definitely have to consider what is beyond your target. 177s are the worst ballistically (and wadcutters the worst shape of pellet) so they will fly the shortest distance. But the last time I calculated my 177 it would still carry 200 yards or a little more at the right upward angle (about 30 degrees). That is with a domed pellet. But if you can angle your shots where there are no homes or people for a couple hundred yards in the direction you are shooting, a 15-20 fpe 177 would be my recommendation. Wadcutters are fine if your gun likes them. I have not found one my one 177 likes yet. This sort of 177 will not shoot through 1/2 inch plywood so hitting your house will leave a little hole but not do serious or obvious damage. If you place the pellet into the chest or brain of a squirrel, it will die quite quickly. I've taken 10 with my 177 so far. It does not kill them as quickly as my 30+ fpe 22s or 25s but they do not take more than a step or two after a well placed shot. My 177 is a P35 and it seems to really like H&N Baracuda FTs going about 880 fps. I have not tried them slower yet. I don't recommend going under about 15 fpe, however, if you need to keep them from running off to others yards before they expire. A Stoeger bullshark in 177 would be essentially equivalent to my P35. They are well made guns in my opinion and tend to be quite accurate. I have 3 P35s and the worst top score for any of them on the 30 yard challenge is a 194. I just shot a 197 with my P35-177 today (200 is the goal but not often achieved). My "bad" shots on this target were 9s. The 9 ring is about 1/4 inch in diameter. Definitely accurate enough to hit a squirrel in the vitals.

Hey folks, as it warms up here the starlings and squirrels are coming in droves. They wreak havoc on my house and most often congregate under eaves or on the roof itself for squirrels. I thought it could be some pretty fun pest control to sit out in the yard and try to pick ‘em off from their favorite spots but obviously I don’t want to do any heavy damage to the asphalt shingles, the old wooden soffit (1800s home) or anything else. What’s my best Airgun option for this job? I was thinking something in .177 that edges on the low side of ft-lbs to humanely kill the pests so in the event of a miss or pass thru the collateral is low.

Is this even possible? Or just plain stupid. Additionally there are some other houses nearby - so I can’t be slangin heavy slugs up in the air. Perhaps I shouldn’t shoot anything upwards at all. So … maybe a BB gun? That seems a bit absurd but potentially viable.

In that case, any advice to get the buggers on the ground for safe shooting?
These are European starlings (invasive where I am) and grey squirrels.

Let me know what you think or what you’d do!
Best option would be an FX dreamline, they have settings for lower power. Or an FX impact turned all the way down. Using a JSP 13 grain.