Squirrel Vigilance in the Forest Shade

Squirrel Vigilance in the Forest Shade.png

It’s a lovely sunny morning and I am using what I reckon is one of the best methods for bringing gray squirrels within range of the air rifle: a peanut feeding station. As usual, I set this station up a few weeks ago and, for the first couple of weeks, I didn’t shoot at it at all. I just kept it fed. It took a while for the squirrels to get onto it, but once one or two started to feed here, the activity they caused drew in more and more squirrels. The feed started going down very quickly, and that was my cue to start shooting.

With the trees still in full summer leaf, you really can’t see squirrels up in the treetops so by using a feeding station like this, you can draw them down out into the open and get those really clear shots over predetermined distances. I’ve already had one short session here just to see how many squirrels were about, and I did manage to bag a couple.

My setup as usual is very simple. There’s a net hide less than 25 yards from the feeding station. I’ve got my peaked hat on to cast a bit of shade over my face and stop it from catching the sun too much, but I think that’s going to be adequate concealment. In fact, the squirrels I encountered last time were so bold that I’m not even bothering with a head net today.

The only concern I did have here is that the back of the hide is a little bit open. I’ve got a tree trunk behind me, but I was worried about being silhouetted when I move. I could have put another net up at the back to create a bit of darkness, but instead, I rammed in a load of old fallen branches to create a backdrop that should mask my movements. That should be perfectly adequate for today.

There’s a bit of banging going on in the background. There’s a cabin in the woods, and it sounds like some renovations are being done. It is making a bit of noise, but to be perfectly honest, they’re not making any more noise than I am, and it could actually help to mask some of the sounds i’m making.

After about a good 30 minutes our first visitor of the day scurried to the peanut feeder, blissfully unaware of the danger. The rifle’s report was sharp and clear. The squirrel jerked from a clean shot to the head.

It came up from the ground. I could see it was quite twitchy, so I let it take a peanut. The first time it took one, it had its back to me, and I couldn’t get a clear head shot. So I just waited. It took another one and presented me with the shot that I wanted. There is just no point in rushing when you’re shooting like this. The squirrels know what they want. Once they’re on that feeder, they’re in no hurry to run off again. So take your time, let them present themselves to you, and you’re practically guaranteed those clean kills.

Another squirrel darts through the underbrush, Can see his nose twitching through the rifle scope as he catches the enticing scent of peanuts. He scamps up the feeder and grabs a peanut, he sat back on his haunches, savoring the delicious treat. The scope gave me a clear view of the squirrel’s head, its tiny eyes darting around as it gnawed on the peanut. I exhaled gently and squeezed the trigger with a practiced smoothness. The shot was perfect. The pellet struck right in the head where i aimed, a clean hit. It fell from the feeder, landing on the forest floor.

That one read the script: it took a peanut and settled right where I wanted, offering me a clear shot. A lot of people say this method is not very sporting, but it’s not supposed to be. This is pest control. We’re dealing with an invasive species, looking to eradicate it or at least reduce its numbers as much as possible. This is a great means of doing that. One thing it is, is very humane. You’re shooting over a predetermined distance, making nice, easy shots, and it literally is lights out every time.

Just as I want to walk over to retrieve the squirrels, I notice a flash of vibrant blue in the trees. A jay had been drawn to the feeder. It landed cautiously, its sharp eyes scanning the area for any signs of danger. Well, there can be no doubt as to the effectiveness of your concealment when you’ve got sharp-eyed jays coming in like that. I left that one. On some of my permissions, I shoot jays, and on some, I don’t. It’s usually done on a case-by-case basis depending on how many there appear to be in the vicinity and what sort of damage they’re doing. In the past, i’ve shot a few jays from this particular permission. I had a chat with the landowner this year, and the feeling is that their numbers are low enough now that we’ll leave them for a while. After all, unlike the squirrels, they’re an indigenous species and have a part to play in the ecosystem.

Some people have funny views about not shooting jays because they’re handsome birds, which I think is ridiculous. A magpie is a very handsome bird, as is a pheasant. You judge them on the damage and harm they’re doing, then decide on the numbers you want to get them down to. That’s how you deal with pest species.

Another squirrel cautiously descends from a nearby oak tree, its eyes scanning for danger, taking its time. I adjust my position slightly and line up for a shot. The world narrows down to just the squirrel and the crosshairs. A clean, precise shot ensured a quick and humane kill. I did not wait for that one to get a peanut. It sensed something; I don’t know what caused it, but it froze dead still, presenting me with the static target I wanted, so I took it just in case it spooked and bolted.

I spot another gray squirrel making its way along a branch, its bushy tail flicking. It pauses, surveying the area before descending the tree trunk, eyes darting around for any sign of danger. The squirrel reached the feeder and began to eat, its tiny hands clutching a peanut. It was oblivious to everything but the easy meal before it. There was a brief, almost imperceptible freeze as the impact of the pellet struck it’s head, then the squirrel dropped like a stone. The peanut fell from its grasp, its body, disconnected from the brain, twitching on the floor.

I had to bide my time again with that one. There was a point at which I could probably have threaded a pellet through to the back of its head, but I waited for it to sit out and eventually got the shot I wanted.

I’m going to make that the last one. Although it’s been a short session, it’s also been very effective, and there are now fewer squirrels here than when we turned up. I refill the feeder because I’m convinced there are plenty more squirrels to be had here. I’ll be back again tomorrow.

Atb,
Paul

A lot of people say this method is not very sporting, but it’s not supposed to be. This is pest control. We’re dealing with an invasive species, looking to eradicate it or at least reduce its numbers as much as possible. This is a great means of doing that. One thing it is, is very humane. You’re shooting over a predetermined distance, making nice, easy shots, and it literally is lights out every time.
I quite agree. This is far better than poisons, safer than firearms, and much more cost-effective.
Some people have funny views about not shooting jays because they’re handsome birds, which I think is ridiculous. A magpie is a very handsome bird, as is a pheasant. You judge them on the damage and harm they’re doing, then decide on the numbers you want to get them down to. That’s how you deal with pest species.
I still can't get over how some people love starlings. I realize they're native for you, but here in the Colonies they're a disaster. I think they look and act evil, and believe the ideal number of starlings over here is zero. I realize that if all the starlings were to somehow disappear immediately (or even over the course of a few years) we'd have a massive problem with the overall ecosystem, but that doesn't mean we can't work towards that goal, eh?

I quite agree. This is far better than poisons, safer than firearms, and much more cost-effective.

I still can't get over how some people love starlings. I realize they're native for you, but here in the Colonies they're a disaster. I think they look and act evil, and believe the ideal number of starlings over here is zero. I realize that if all the starlings were to somehow disappear immediately (or even over the course of a few years) we'd have a massive problem with the overall ecosystem, but that doesn't mean we can't work towards that goal, eh?
Haha, not sure if wiping them out is necessary. It's curious why starlings thrive so well in the States, while here in the UK they're among our fastest-declining species. They're quite rare in the countryside and their attempts to adapt to urban areas haven't fared much better. I actually have a soft spot for them, but if they become a pest, some control is definitely needed.

View attachment 486458

It’s a lovely sunny morning and I am using what I reckon is one of the best methods for bringing gray squirrels within range of the air rifle: a peanut feeding station. As usual, I set this station up a few weeks ago and, for the first couple of weeks, I didn’t shoot at it at all. I just kept it fed. It took a while for the squirrels to get onto it, but once one or two started to feed here, the activity they caused drew in more and more squirrels. The feed started going down very quickly, and that was my cue to start shooting.

With the trees still in full summer leaf, you really can’t see squirrels up in the treetops so by using a feeding station like this, you can draw them down out into the open and get those really clear shots over predetermined distances. I’ve already had one short session here just to see how many squirrels were about, and I did manage to bag a couple.

My setup as usual is very simple. There’s a net hide less than 25 yards from the feeding station. I’ve got my peaked hat on to cast a bit of shade over my face and stop it from catching the sun too much, but I think that’s going to be adequate concealment. In fact, the squirrels I encountered last time were so bold that I’m not even bothering with a head net today.

The only concern I did have here is that the back of the hide is a little bit open. I’ve got a tree trunk behind me, but I was worried about being silhouetted when I move. I could have put another net up at the back to create a bit of darkness, but instead, I rammed in a load of old fallen branches to create a backdrop that should mask my movements. That should be perfectly adequate for today.

There’s a bit of banging going on in the background. There’s a cabin in the woods, and it sounds like some renovations are being done. It is making a bit of noise, but to be perfectly honest, they’re not making any more noise than I am, and it could actually help to mask some of the sounds i’m making.

After about a good 30 minutes our first visitor of the day scurried to the peanut feeder, blissfully unaware of the danger. The rifle’s report was sharp and clear. The squirrel jerked from a clean shot to the head.

It came up from the ground. I could see it was quite twitchy, so I let it take a peanut. The first time it took one, it had its back to me, and I couldn’t get a clear head shot. So I just waited. It took another one and presented me with the shot that I wanted. There is just no point in rushing when you’re shooting like this. The squirrels know what they want. Once they’re on that feeder, they’re in no hurry to run off again. So take your time, let them present themselves to you, and you’re practically guaranteed those clean kills.

Another squirrel darts through the underbrush, Can see his nose twitching through the rifle scope as he catches the enticing scent of peanuts. He scamps up the feeder and grabs a peanut, he sat back on his haunches, savoring the delicious treat. The scope gave me a clear view of the squirrel’s head, its tiny eyes darting around as it gnawed on the peanut. I exhaled gently and squeezed the trigger with a practiced smoothness. The shot was perfect. The pellet struck right in the head where i aimed, a clean hit. It fell from the feeder, landing on the forest floor.

That one read the script: it took a peanut and settled right where I wanted, offering me a clear shot. A lot of people say this method is not very sporting, but it’s not supposed to be. This is pest control. We’re dealing with an invasive species, looking to eradicate it or at least reduce its numbers as much as possible. This is a great means of doing that. One thing it is, is very humane. You’re shooting over a predetermined distance, making nice, easy shots, and it literally is lights out every time.

Just as I want to walk over to retrieve the squirrels, I notice a flash of vibrant blue in the trees. A jay had been drawn to the feeder. It landed cautiously, its sharp eyes scanning the area for any signs of danger. Well, there can be no doubt as to the effectiveness of your concealment when you’ve got sharp-eyed jays coming in like that. I left that one. On some of my permissions, I shoot jays, and on some, I don’t. It’s usually done on a case-by-case basis depending on how many there appear to be in the vicinity and what sort of damage they’re doing. In the past, i’ve shot a few jays from this particular permission. I had a chat with the landowner this year, and the feeling is that their numbers are low enough now that we’ll leave them for a while. After all, unlike the squirrels, they’re an indigenous species and have a part to play in the ecosystem.

Another squirrel cautiously descends from a nearby oak tree, its eyes scanning for danger, taking its time. I adjust my position slightly and line up for a shot. The world narrows down to just the squirrel and the crosshairs. A clean, precise shot ensured a quick and humane kill. I did not wait for that one to get a peanut. It sensed something; I don’t know what caused it, but it froze dead still, presenting me with the static target I wanted, so I took it just in case it spooked and bolted.

I spot another gray squirrel making its way along a branch, its bushy tail flicking. It pauses, surveying the area before descending the tree trunk, eyes darting around for any sign of danger. The squirrel reached the feeder and began to eat, its tiny hands clutching a peanut. It was oblivious to everything but the easy meal before it. There was a brief, almost imperceptible freeze as the impact of the pellet struck it’s head, then the squirrel dropped like a stone. The peanut fell from its grasp, its body, disconnected from the brain, twitching on the floor.

I had to bide my time again with that one. There was a point at which I could probably have threaded a pellet through to the back of its head, but I waited for it to sit out and eventually got the shot I wanted.

I’m going to make that the last one. Although it’s been a short session, it’s also been very effective, and there are now fewer squirrels here than when we turned up. I refill the feeder because I’m convinced there are plenty more squirrels to be had here. I’ll be back again tomorrow.

Atb,
Paul
Curious and serious question...I'm one that would never shoot a cardinal or blue jay. What damage do blue jays cause? Now starlings, sparrows, and pigeons I'll smack down all day long

Curious and serious question...I'm one that would never shoot a cardinal or blue jay. What damage do blue jays cause? Now starlings, sparrows, and pigeons I'll smack down all day long
Here, in the UK, only the Eurasian Jay is present. Like other corvids, they are notorious for raiding nests and preying on the eggs and young of other birds. Their aggressive and bullying nature intimidates and drives away other birds, disrupting local bird communities and reducing species diversity. Despite this, Jays play a crucial role in reforestation and should not be indiscriminately controlled.

Reactions: Kpac and ZekeZX10
Zeke , I answer that ? for you . Here in PA , the bird book I have even spells it out , " they raid nests , take hatchlings & dominate feeders , chasing other birds away ". I 'll add they are protected here . I have seen them at our bird bath washing hatchlings just as crows do . Guess they like to prep meals .

Reactions: ZekeZX10
Here, in the UK, only the Eurasian Jay is present. Like other corvids, they are notorious for raiding nests and preying on the eggs and young of other birds. Their aggressive and bullying nature intimidates and drives away other birds, disrupting local bird communities and reducing species diversity. Despite this, Jays play a crucial role in reforestation and should not be indiscriminately controlled.
When you said Jay I'm thinking like the American blue jay I have to check out the Eurasian Jay

Reactions: Paul Be Careful
Zeke , I answer that ? for you . Here in PA , the bird book I have even spells it out , " they raid nests , take hatchlings & dominate feeders , chasing other birds away ". I 'll add they are protected here . I have seen them at our bird bath washing hatchlings just as crows do . Guess they like to prep meals .
We have cowbirds like that here. They will lay their eggs in other birds nests

Female brown-headed cowbirds (Molothrus ater) are brood parasites that lay their eggs in the nests of other birds, known as "host" birds, instead of building their own nests. This strategy reduces the risk of losing their reproductive effort if their own nest is destroyed by predators. Cowbirds have been known to parasitize over 220 different species of North American birds, including kinglets, meadowlarks, and more common hosts like the Yellow Warbler, Song Sparrow, and Red-winged Blackbird.

Reactions: Paul Be Careful