SSG tuning.

If any of you have followed the SSG tuning thread on the GTA forum or followed the linked posted here on AGN http://airgunnation.dev/topic/new-way-of-tunning-going-viral-ssg-mod/, you might have some interest. I have been working on prototypes of the SSG for my marauders. After a couple of thousand pellets, I have a working SSG in both my wifes regulated .177 and my .30 Bottled marauder.

The .177 was getting 50 shots at 905fps prior to installing the SSG. After installing and tuning the SSG to the gun, I got 90 shots at 902fps with an ES of 26fps. My .30 is unregulated and was shooting 860 fps for 28 shots with an ES over 40fps. With the SSG, I got 848 fps for 28 shots with an ES of 27. At 836fps I was able to get 35 shots with an ES of 26fps.

I had assumed that the SSG would help efficiency in my higher powered guns but gains would be small, as hammer bounce isn't much of an issue when using heavy hammer springs. This assumption held true as the gun gained efficiency but that was about it. So far, this is the most effective hammer debounce I have ever seen. For those that might be interested, be aware that this is not a drop in mod. The SSG has to be tuned to the gun to achive the best possible results. I modified the striker and the end cap to get the best results I could. This mod is not just for marauders. It is simply to reduce or eliminate hammer bounce which is the main battle for many pcp's. This really is a very simple mod. It does take time tuning to get good results on unregged guns. Seems that this will be most effective for regulated and lower powered unregulated guns. Though it does help high powered unregged guns, it seems most effective with mid to lower power levels where hammer bounce will be the worst.

Michael from what I have read it stops the hammer spring from full travel. It allows the hammer to coast the last bit to hit the valve without the spring pushing against it. This means that there is no spring pressure against the hammer after it opens the valve. When the valve pushes the hammer back there is no bounce back because the spring is not pushing on the hammer. Hope that makes sense.

Stopping Spring Guide or SSG. It utilizes a captured/guided hammer spring that can be adjusted for length to limit or eliminate hammer bounce. Not a new concept but not something that has been mainstream. Some guns like Hatsan, BSA, and others have HDD's designed into them from the factory. However many guns don't and the ssg would be target to those guns. This in its simpicity is another method of debouncing the hammer, but so far has proven to be the most effective for me specifically on the marauder platform.
20160110_124600.jpg
[/url][/IMG][/URL]

20160110_124536.jpg
[/url][/IMG][/URL] 

20160110_125900.jpg
[/url][/IMG][/URL]

The SSG's that I have made thus far are simply functional but not going to win any awards for looks. I used ss 8-32 all thread and ss washers, acorn nut, lock nut, and standard nut. A piece of poly tubing was used over the all thread so that there is no drag and a rubber washer against the rear cap. I cut the striker off so that it is just long enough to thread into the hammer, but not protrude into the inside of the hammer where the guide and spring ride. I also had to open the spring guide on the rear cap to allow the ssg to move freely. I had to play with the length of the ssg to get the guns tuned and performing how I wanted them to.

If I were to have purchased just what was needed to make 1 SSG, a trip to the hardware store and less than 5 bucks will have you on your way. Only tools I used was a dremel with a cut off wheel, bench grinder, and a cordless drill. If you want to build one as precise as possible, the sky is the limit of course. I did make one out of drill stock and fitted everything as precise as possible. The gain was zero compared to my hardware store SSG. I will take ease and function over looks any day, so I will continue the hardware store route since the amount of time invested in making a high quality looking SSG didn't perform any better. The key however, is to make sure there is no drag in the SSG or you won't have good results. It has to operate smooth with no bind or drag!! I highly recommend following the GTA thread as there is a ton of info and that is where I got my info to get started on my own SSG project.

EDIT: There is atleast one company that is possibly going to be making a production version of the SSG. I have no idea if it will be made for just the marauder or other brands as well?? My cheap easy SSG isn't very easy to adjust. The rear cap needs removed to make any adjustments. I believe that a production unit will be made so that adjusments can easily be made without having to disassemble the rear cap.

EDIT: There is atleast on company that is possibly going to be making a production version of the SSG. I have no idea if it will be made for just the marauder or other brands as well?? My cheap easy SSG isn't very easy to adjust. The rear cap needs removed to make any adjustments. I believe that a production unit will be made so that adjusments can easily be made without having to disassemble the rear cap. .............Aj, thanks for the info, if & when you find out who will be offering the production model without disassemble the rear cap becomes available, would you please post a link ? I have 5 P-Rod's from stock to modded to play with , would the designer possibly Steve from the yellow F ? thanks , Roger

I don't know for sure any details on how a production unit will work? I was just stating the downfall to what I built and that I would assume someone who would produce these would address that issue, but only speculation on my part.

Again my comments about a someone making these, is based on reading various forums and comments led me to believe either Motorhead or WAR or maybe both will be making a production ssg. At this point it is all hearsay and nothing more.