Starlings felt the sting

Picked up this beauty of a rifle a couple months ago from a forum member. It was a standard UK spec 12 fpe gun, but I stripped and cleaned it up, removed the valve restrictor, and adjusted the spring.

This rifle on full tilt will give me 55 fpe with the 25.39 MRDs for about 14 shots. Way too hot, so I dialed her back to 30 shots in her sweet spot at 30 fpe.

I decided to give my Krals a break, and brought out the Scorpion after the fresh tune and sight in. The accuracy I read about with BSAs was no lie. This gun, with non sorted pellets, will stack at 35+ yards.

I was hoping to give the starlings some hell this morning. I loaded my mags, topped off the air, amd got out at 6am. Just backyard blasting, short trip!

The yellow beaks have become extremely hard to bag, they watch me very closely, any movement and they're gone. I had the advantage of heavy fog this morning, so they came in a bit closer than usual.

These 2 slipped up and caught a jsb 18.13 at 890fps. Both about 20 yard shots.

20230514_072107.jpg

I actually started off the morning with a male HOSP, out at 40 yards, the pop was amazing! I couldn't recover him from the brush. Then came across two grey squirrels shagging in the trees across the creek about 60 yards. I sent one into the male's chest WHILE he was bumping and grinding the misses! I didn't venture to retrieve that one with the thicket and creek.

I had a good laugh about that shot though!

I'm absolutely blown away with the accuracy and balance of this rifle. Shoots better off hand than most guns I've tried or owned. Thanks for reading and wish me luck on the pesting!

Dr. K

Picked up this beauty of a rifle a couple months ago from a forum member. It was a standard UK spec 12 fpe gun, but I stripped and cleaned it up, removed the valve restrictor, and adjusted the spring.

This rifle on full tilt will give me 55 fpe with the 25.39 MRDs for about 14 shots. Way too hot, so I dialed her back to 30 shots in her sweet spot at 30 fpe.

I decided to give my Krals a break, and brought out the Scorpion after the fresh tune and sight in. The accuracy I read about with BSAs was no lie. This gun, with non sorted pellets, will stack at 35+ yards.

I was hoping to give the starlings some hell this morning. I loaded my mags, topped off the air, amd got out at 6am. Just backyard blasting, short trip!

The yellow beaks have become extremely hard to bag, they watch me very closely, any movement and they're gone. I had the advantage of heavy fog this morning, so they came in a bit closer than usual.

View attachment 356385

I actually started off the morning with a male HOSP, out at 40 yards, the pop was amazing! I couldn't recover him from the brush. Then came across two grey squirrels shagging in the trees across the creek about 60 yards. I sent one into the male's chest WHILE he was bumping and grinding the misses! I didn't venture to retrieve that one with the thicket and creek.

I'm absolutely blown away with the accuracy and balance of this rifle. Shoots better off hand than most guns I've tried or owned. Thanks for reading and wish me luck on the pesting!

Dr. K
great looking gun . nice shooting also

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
Beautiful BSA. Definitely a family heirloom .22 cal correct?

My own R10 was absolutely slaying the English Sparrows this morning. Nice cool 60's something, overcast and the first no rainy day this week. Starlings were not to be found, but the sparrows were flocking to the feeders. I missed the first one and took a test shot at a nail hole at the bottom om my backyard fence. I was just slight right and low. Two clicks up and three clicks left on my Optisan CP scope at 10X and I literally "hit the nail on the head" From then on it was Katie bar the door. 12 kills in a row over the next hour, while drinking my morning coffee. I shoot from inside my house out the back door with my Crown, S510, Air Wolf and R10. Starlings cannot detect any movement, nor can the sparrows which are also very easily spooked with any movement. I also shoot outside from the back porch on especially nice days.

sniper hide Crown (2).jpg

AA S510 Carbine (2).jpg

sniper hide.jpg

BSA r10 Huma Air Shroud5 (3).jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful BSA. Definitely a family heirloom .22 cal correct?

My own R10 was absolutely slaying the English Sparrow this morning. Nice cool 60's something, overcast and the first no rainy day this week. Starlings were not to be found, but the sparrows were flocking to the feeders. I missed the first one and took a test shot at a nail hole at the bottom om my backyard fence. I was just slight right and low. Two clicks up and three clicks left on my Optisan CP scope at 10X and I literally "hit the nail on the head" From then on it was Katie bar the door. 12 kills in a row over the next hour, while drinking my morning coffee. I shoot from inside my house out the back door with my Crown, S510, Air Wolf and R10. Starlings cannot detect any movement, nor can the sparrows which are also very easily spooked with any movement. I also shoot outside from the back porch on especially nice days.

View attachment 357075

View attachment 357076

View attachment 357077

View attachment 357078
Love the R10 man! You have to hide from them or they'll hide from you. My sparrows are getting thin here, but the ones that hang around hide out of my shooting line. They're pretty smart birds.

View attachment 356385

Dr. K
Would have like to see a YT vid on that shot😆

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
Love the R10 man! You have to hide from them or they'll hide from you. My sparrows are getting thin here, but the ones that hang around hide out of my shooting line. They're pretty smart birds.
Same situation here as the house sparrows are becoming quite rare in this area. They are incredibly wary and difficult to see anymore.

Would have like to see a YT vid on that shot😆
I almost didn't pull the trigger, but I just smirked and let one fly. I should've shot her in the head... we know he'd have kept going!

I have been wanting an ATN 4k scope for awhile, that huge block of plastic wouldn't be going on the BSA though. My OCD wouldn't allow it on that metal action and elegant stock.