N/A Starter PCP one size fits all? : .22 vs .25 vs .30?

So... as mentioned in another thread I have somewhat outgrown my break barrel pellet gun, and I am overgrown with pests, ranging from gangster squirrels to raccoons. To date, I have used my worn out Gamo on starlings and squirrels, but my Gamo Whisper has a problem I don't care to chase and fix. So the new rifle, preferably regulated PCP is being discussed.

As I work through manufacturer and used v new details on the brand and model, I'm also trying to figure out the caliber tradeoffs. This is primarily a gun for "hunting" by way of pest removal. However, accuracy is absolutely mission #1.

Downrange energy retention comes in as a second, but still important.

So with that in mind...is there generic accuracy vs caliber guidance? I'm leaning towards a .25, as I have seen some solid performance reviews of accuracy for the guns I've been considering in .25

Is accuracy degraded for larger calibers? Sort of : Expect best performance for .22, somewhat degraded for .25 and more accuracy loss going to .30? IF so, how much? My squirrels won't know the difference between .35ctc groups and .50 ctc groups. But my raccoons would notice the difference between .22 and .30 at 30 yards. (I'm not hunting hogs, likely not coyotes). I do note that ammo selection for .30 is not as varied as for .22 or even .25

Sorry about the OCD flare on this. You should see me when I try to buy a new laptop.
I’m personally partial to the Avenge-X in .25.. I was in the same situation as you and went with the avenge-X tactical. I liked it so much that I Expanded into airgun accessories and have continued to expand into the hobby / sport. They just launched a carbine version that looks pretty nice also but I don’t think it’s in stock yet At PA.

Snapseed.jpeg

Another vote for the Avenge X as an all around good PCP, very versatile, great value, you can replace different caliber barrel for cheap, lots of parts available, super easy to tune, very accurate and very efficient. You can get the .22 and swap to .25 within minutes, the barrel kit is only $69 so you get to swap back and forth. Many different layout to choose from and swap to, be it traditional wood/synthetic stock or tactical, or bullpup. It isn't just a good "entry level" PCP, it is a great PCP! Accuracy wise I don't think the .25 is more or less accurate than the .22 within 50 yard, but from what I have seen, at long range at 100 yard the .22 may have a slight edge due to a little higher BC, it really depends on the projectile, barrel and many other variables.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evolve 3D
Well, if you are a tinkerer, the Airforce utility line let's one change barrels in about a minute, if you practice. Three without practice. They are kinda obsolete to some, with only a single-shot option and no regulator, but I find mine accurate, very powerful, very adjustable for power (from 6 ft# up to 80), and aftermarket parts are available, including regulators, grips, moderators and tanks. And a bunch of blems are on sale now at airforceairguns.com.

So... as mentioned in another thread I have somewhat outgrown my break barrel pellet gun, and I am overgrown with pests, ranging from gangster squirrels to raccoons. To date, I have used my worn out Gamo on starlings and squirrels, but my Gamo Whisper has a problem I don't care to chase and fix. So the new rifle, preferably regulated PCP is being discussed.

As I work through manufacturer and used v new details on the brand and model, I'm also trying to figure out the caliber tradeoffs. This is primarily a gun for "hunting" by way of pest removal. However, accuracy is absolutely mission #1.

Downrange energy retention comes in as a second, but still important.

So with that in mind...is there generic accuracy vs caliber guidance? I'm leaning towards a .25, as I have seen some solid performance reviews of accuracy for the guns I've been considering in .25

Is accuracy degraded for larger calibers? Sort of : Expect best performance for .22, somewhat degraded for .25 and more accuracy loss going to .30? IF so, how much? My squirrels won't know the difference between .35ctc groups and .50 ctc groups. But my raccoons would notice the difference between .22 and .30 at 30 yards. (I'm not hunting hogs, likely not coyotes). I do note that ammo selection for .30 is not as varied as for .22 or even .25

Sorry about the OCD flare on this. You should see me when I try to buy a new laptop.
I dont think accuracy between the three calibers is really an issue. I own them all and find them about equal. 22 is generally what I shoot most.

Reactions: Vana2
$199.00 got me the

Umarex Komplete NCR .22 Caliber Nitro Air PCP Pellet Rifle​

And I picked up five boxes (2 per box) of Nitrogen cylinders, for $25 a box, the gun came with one. The stock scope looked good but I put my Simmons .22 mag 4x32 scope I already had on. It gave a brighter Image. I sighted it in with seven shots, zero @ 25 yards. I walked those pellets in from 10 inches high and six inches left.
I'm about to finish up the first air cylinder and am at shot #47 with no change in point of impact yet.
Everything Inside a dime with elbows on the bench. and on the bags about half that. my very few 50 yard shots were also very close to zero and inside a nickel.
Shooting 14.7 g something Crossman premier hollow points from Wally World. I did try three Beeman Kodiak's with no change in point of impact @25 yds. did not try them at 50 yds.
I let an in experienced shooter try it, some how he got three pellets in the barrel at once. They pushed back out easily. then he hit the dime sized bullseye 3 out of 5 @25yds.
I am very happy.
The Crossman's hit very hard and the gun sounds like a subsonic .22 out of a rifle.

It has a wonderful trigger.
I do not see the cost of the cylinders as a draw back. But If I shot way more than I do I might. This gun can and will stay charged up. and I needed It to not be sensitive to air temps, It checked all my boxes. I shoot in the cold sometimes.

.22 is my preferred general shooting, pesting, plinking, hunting and target shooting caliber. It's preferred because of the (reasonable) cost of air and ammo, variety of projectile choice available and suitable power for my applications. I shoot a lot so ammo cost is a concern for me.

Years ago, when .22 PCPs were typically 30 fpe, I bought a FX Royale 500 (.25 caliber) for medium sized pests (groundhogs, raccoons and porcupines). The Royale is a great airgun that I still shoot often but my .22 caliber Impact MK2 tuned to 25g pellets has more power and taken over that pesting duty.

Since .22 power is plenty my small pesting and adequate for medium pests I'll stick to that.

If pesting and hunting MEDIUM sized animals are the main activities, then I'd strongly recommend a .25.

I don't have a .30 (locally, ammo is VERY expensive) because if the pest is larger that 25 pounds I'm going to grab a rimfire or centerfire (coyotes, wolves and bears around here).

Cheers!