N/A Starter PCP one size fits all? : .22 vs .25 vs .30?

So... as mentioned in another thread I have somewhat outgrown my break barrel pellet gun, and I am overgrown with pests, ranging from gangster squirrels to raccoons. To date, I have used my worn out Gamo on starlings and squirrels, but my Gamo Whisper has a problem I don't care to chase and fix. So the new rifle, preferably regulated PCP is being discussed.

As I work through manufacturer and used v new details on the brand and model, I'm also trying to figure out the caliber tradeoffs. This is primarily a gun for "hunting" by way of pest removal. However, accuracy is absolutely mission #1.

Downrange energy retention comes in as a second, but still important.

So with that in mind...is there generic accuracy vs caliber guidance? I'm leaning towards a .25, as I have seen some solid performance reviews of accuracy for the guns I've been considering in .25

Is accuracy degraded for larger calibers? Sort of : Expect best performance for .22, somewhat degraded for .25 and more accuracy loss going to .30? IF so, how much? My squirrels won't know the difference between .35ctc groups and .50 ctc groups. But my raccoons would notice the difference between .22 and .30 at 30 yards. (I'm not hunting hogs, likely not coyotes). I do note that ammo selection for .30 is not as varied as for .22 or even .25

Sorry about the OCD flare on this. You should see me when I try to buy a new laptop.

I think 25 cal tends to be more accurate, especially over 177.

As for the pests being up to raccoons size, I'd advise a 25 cal in 40 fpe for a DRT result. 22 cal I would want 30 fpe or more.

I've killed them with 24 fpe 22, but had much better results with 25 caliber even one at 35 fpe. I now use a 30 cal 70 fpe gun.

What distances do you shoot at? Personally I prefer .22. I've had a few .25s and only one I was really impressed with accuracy. Plenty of .22s though did amazing. Now I know lots of people love .25 but I guess I wasn't as lucky. But if I could safely shoot .30 around our dairy I'd shoot one all the time. So fun and all the ones I've owned were great shooters. And for pests it can't be beat. But yeah realistically I shoot pigeons and starlings out to 100yds and a 30fpe .22 does just fine. Shot many squirrels with them too out to 100yds no problem. Raccoons I wouldn't hesitate on closer shots but all depends on how far your shooting of course.

Last edited:
My opinion on this is forever changing, as I am too. An argument can be made for any caliber these days, with .177 slug shooters doing 40fpe and everything else going up from there. So it comes down to you and how you want to do things. If you really believe you are only going to have one gun, and you want to hunt up to trash panda levels, I would suggest .25. I am in the super minority around here, I don't think much of .22, except for plinking, it is the best for plinking. I shoot 5x more .22 than anything else, but that's just because I plink more. If I am shooting at chipmunks or starlings I use my .177 because it's safer down range. If I am shooting anything bigger, I am using a .25 or a .30. The .30 isn't for most pesters just wanting to pop outside and shoot a rabbit in the garden, it takes consideration. I will say though, I am getting use to the power and have really taken a shine to it this year. That might have something to do with the gun being awesome too, great fun. If I was only limited to one caliber though it would absolutely be .25.

I've stuck with .22 ( & .177) because I can find pellets locally... That being said, I mostly order pellets online 🤔

I do have an older .25cal break barrel and pellets stashed away, rarely ever shoot it. Thought about getting a pcp in .25 but looking at current pellet prices in that caliber turned me off. My .22's can do everything I need from an airgun anyways.

I have a .25 that always sets in the closet . My .22s do everything I need including raccoons. 47 fpe with a 25.4g pellet is plenty for larger pests . But my 25 fpe and 34 fpe pcps get used the most for pesting . I got by for years with just a 13 fpe .22 pcp and a .22lr . Plus the .22 ammo costs less and you use less air .

So... as mentioned in another thread I have somewhat outgrown my break barrel pellet gun, and I am overgrown with pests, ranging from gangster squirrels to raccoons. To date, I have used my worn out Gamo on starlings and squirrels, but my Gamo Whisper has a problem I don't care to chase and fix. So the new rifle, preferably regulated PCP is being discussed.

As I work through manufacturer and used v new details on the brand and model, I'm also trying to figure out the caliber tradeoffs. This is primarily a gun for "hunting" by way of pest removal. However, accuracy is absolutely mission #1.

Downrange energy retention comes in as a second, but still important.

So with that in mind...is there generic accuracy vs caliber guidance? I'm leaning towards a .25, as I have seen some solid performance reviews of accuracy for the guns I've been considering in .25

Is accuracy degraded for larger calibers? Sort of : Expect best performance for .22, somewhat degraded for .25 and more accuracy loss going to .30? IF so, how much? My squirrels won't know the difference between .35ctc groups and .50 ctc groups. But my raccoons would notice the difference between .22 and .30 at 30 yards. (I'm not hunting hogs, likely not coyotes). I do note that ammo selection for .30 is not as varied as for .22 or even .25

Sorry about the OCD flare on this. You should see me when I try to buy a new laptop.
what is your most often shot target ,( probably squirrels ) how many coons do you see a night 2? 5? 7 or more ? .25 is way over kill and way more expensive than .22 . What distance is a normal shot 30 yards (30 yards is 90 feet, think about it ) ? again a .22 heavy pellet will do the job . I realize the current trend is to go big .25 or .30 and lots of power , that equals lot of noise and money . Yes it is cool looking and sounding ! but do you really need it ?

Big difference between a 1 lb squirrel and a 20 pound raccoon. I've killed about 60 squirrels with airguns from 18 fpe to 40+ fpe and they all work. I've used 177, 22, and 25 calibers. My over 30 fpe guns seem to make them drop a little quicker but they all work if you place the shot decently. I've only killed one raccoon and it was a little one. I used a 32 fpe 22 caliber because it was handy when it came strolling through my yard in the early afternoon. A body shot stopped the strolling but it seemed nowhere near expiring. A shot between the eyes made brain matter come out but it was still breathing so it got a third in the neck and it was over. A more powerful 22 might do better but I will use a 25 if I feel the need to kill another one. Even then I will be a bit undergunned if it is a large one in my opinion.

I think the benchrest competition and the big events is usually won by a 30 caliber these days. Those competitions are scored by touching a line so a bigger diameter pellet has a little margin. They should also drift less in the wind. But I believe some are still using 25s too. I suggest from this that any of these calibers can be very accurate.

Pellet selection is widest in 22 and decreases as you go up in caliber. Price is lowest in 22 and goes up as you go up in caliber. But if you only need a few for pesting it shouldn't matter much.

The SPA M60B in 30 or even 35 caliber would be my choice if significant raccoon duty is needed. The Umarex Zellos is almost the same gun without the bottle (but that can be added) and with a 2 inch longer barrel. But it is only available in 22 and 25. A high powered 25 would certainly work for head shots on a raccoon. I suspect they may travel a significant distance with a body shot, however. In my opinion a 30 caliber is big time overkill on a squirrel. But there is no doubt it would do the job.

.35 for whitetail
.30 for coyotes
.25 for raccoons and whistlepigs
.22 for everything smaller

I feel that there is way too much compensation in caliber for skill deficiencies.
Firewalker makes a very good point re skill levels. I have 22,25 and a 30 calibers. I tend to shoot the 25 more than the other 2. That is to say 60 percent of the time. Squirrels with the 25 as ranges can vary out to 80 yards. What ever you settle shoot often and work on all the elements that lead to accurate shots. Always have a good time doing it

I have 22’s, 25’s and a 30. The thirty has a designated job so will be left out of this. Plus they ain’t cheap to shoot if you are watching pennies.
Between the 22 & 25 for a plinker/pest dual duty gun I prefer the 25. The 25.39 pellets shot at 880 fps is 43 fpe and my 25 cal pellet shooter is not even starting to strain to produce those numbers and it is a compact. Air usage is only slightly higher than a 22. I can’t prove it but those 25 cal pellets seem more lethal than even a 25.39 22 cal. That may all be in my head but I am just more confident with it over my 22.

Reactions: L.Leon