Steyr Steyr LP5 pressure setting procedure and worn magazines

Hello,
I found some very useful threads regarding Steyr LP5 on this forum, however I didn't find an answer on my questions.

Recently I received old LP5 pistol which was not used for quite long time (few years). Before it went to closet I heard it was working well (but honestly I wouldn't believe this). At the moment it has 4 problems:
1. I does not reload automatically magazines. I tried many different settings of 68 and 69 screws. I even managed to find one setting when magazine reloaded, but it happened only once. Very slight move of 68 screw (1/6 of turn) caused magazine stopped to reload. Since then I was not able to find such spring setting - every time after shoot magazine moves a little to left, but this move is very small (~1 mm) and it stucks - so I need to use cock lever after each shoot.
2. I noticed both magazines (5-shoot and single shoot) are worn out - first groove is worn, please see a photo. What is the reason of such damage and how to solve it?
3. I don't know if this is correct behavior in this model, but when air in cylinder goes low (gauge's tip almost at the bottom of scale), after last shoot whole rest of air escapes via barrel. Is it OK, or also here is something to fix?
4. Using chrono I set pressure (using 68 screw) to around 130 m/s. Speed of pellets (H&N Sport) was quite stable - between 128 and 133. However, from almost full cylinder (~180 bar) I was able to shot only around 70 shots. Is it normal value? Is 70 shots OK for this model, or maybe I should set lower output speed?

I was able to correctly set magazines, like described on some manual movies (with barrel screws 72). Also I cleaned pistol and put some silicon oil inside, via cylinder pin on element 15. I was not able to unscrew regulator screws (114 on picture), and valve housing (63). All o-rings until this time (115, 70, 16) look very good - they are soft, not worn.

So could you please advice me step by step, how should I set springs (i guess with screws 68 and 69) to make my LP5 start reloading magazine again? As written before - I made many many tries of different setting of both screws, but without effect. Unfortunately I don't have pressure meter (co I cant check regulator), and I am able to check pellets speed.

Also I have one more question - two screws 72 are used to fasten barrel (and set force barrel presses magazines). But what is the function of screw on the other side of magazines 73? Does it hold something? Or maybe it is also used for pistol setting?

Thank you in advance for support and help.

Magazines_LP5.jpeg

LP50_schema.png

Hello,
I found some very useful threads regarding Steyr LP5 on this forum, however I didn't find an answer on my questions.

Recently I received old LP5 pistol which was not used for quite long time (few years). Before it went to closet I heard it was working well (but honestly I wouldn't believe this). At the moment it has 4 problems:
If it was stored for a long time with a full cylinder attached and the mechanism cocked, there is a chance some of the spring in the regulator and/or mechanism have lost too much of their tension and needs to be replaced.

1. I does not reload automatically magazines. I tried many different settings of 68 and 69 screws. I even managed to find one setting when magazine reloaded, but it happened only once. Very slight move of 68 screw (1/6 of turn) caused magazine stopped to reload. Since then I was not able to find such spring setting - every time after shoot magazine moves a little to left, but this move is very small (~1 mm) and it stucks - so I need to use cock lever after each shoot.
Look at the picture in section 6.2. Screw 69 sticks out approx. 1 mm from the frame, screw 68 sticks out approx. 0.5mm from screw 69. This is how the screws come set from factory, and this is usually how they should be set for best function.
Trigger setup is a little critical on those pistols. An incorrectly adjusted trigger kills cycling. You need to have some slack on first stage, and the trigger stop is also adviced not to be too tight.

2. I noticed both magazines (5-shoot and single shoot) are worn out - first groove is worn, please see a photo. What is the reason of such damage and how to solve it?
Hard to tell exactly what the problem is, but I would recommend a trip to the doctor. Something is seriously wrong and out of order. And get new magazines. It will never index correctly on the first shot when the first groove looks like that.

3. I don't know if this is correct behavior in this model, but when air in cylinder goes low (gauge's tip almost at the bottom of scale), after last shoot whole rest of air escapes via barrel. Is it OK, or also here is something to fix?
If the pistol was working correctly, it would stop cycling long before you get that low on air.

4. Using chrono I set pressure (using 68 screw) to around 130 m/s. Speed of pellets (H&N Sport) was quite stable - between 128 and 133. However, from almost full cylinder (~180 bar) I was able to shot only around 70 shots. Is it normal value? Is 70 shots OK for this model, or maybe I should set lower output speed?
You should get a muzzle velocity around 145-150 m/s with 7.87gr wadcutter pellets. This is from a regulator with fresh belleville springs and healthy o-rings. Over time the belleville springs and o-rings wear and muzzle velocity drops a bit.
You should get in the ball park of 120 shots from a 200 bar fill.

I was able to correctly set magazines, like described on some manual movies (with barrel screws 72). Also I cleaned pistol and put some silicon oil inside, via cylinder pin on element 15. I was not able to unscrew regulator screws (114 on picture), and valve housing (63). All o-rings until this time (115, 70, 16) look very good - they are soft, not worn.
Worn o-rings and/or lack of lube on the o-rings in the regulator affects cycling. But a drop of silicone oil on the regulator tip every 500 shot is usually more than enough to keep the o-rings lubed.

So could you please advice me step by step, how should I set springs (i guess with screws 68 and 69) to make my LP5 start reloading magazine again? As written before - I made many many tries of different setting of both screws, but without effect. Unfortunately I don't have pressure meter (co I cant check regulator), and I am able to check pellets speed.
Valve housing (part 63) is very easy to damage if you don't have the right tool to remove and install it. The piston (part 64) needs to move absolute freely in the valve housing or cycling is affected in a bad way.

Also I have one more question - two screws 72 are used to fasten barrel (and set force barrel presses magazines). But what is the function of screw on the other side of magazines 73? Does it hold something? Or maybe it is also used for pistol setting?
Screw 73 is just an production necessity, and nothing you should worry about. But it needs to be locked with thread lock, a leakage will affect cycling.

Thank you in advance for support and help.

View attachment 386459
Due to the state of those magazines, I think you should leave out the first chamber and just load the four last chambers. Or better get new magazines right away. 👍

I think that you should send it back for repair rather than getting frustrated trying to fix it yourself and also buy new magazines.

My 25-ish year old LP5 has always worked great and my two magazines look almost new. I only have a 3-4 sleeves of pellets through it though and I occasionally rub a tiny bit of lube on the mags.

The reservoirs leaked after about 18 years so I bought a new one as well as had the pistol completely professionally rebuilt.

many great thoughts but as states those mags are hammered and should not be use ever again and the why is the guy had just one 5 shot mag buy a hand full
now the mags are aluminum but what ever did that has taken a beating or could have and those parts need to be checked and at this time in the gun life it could use a complete rebuild and checking over will it break the bank more then likely but the seller knew this pistol was in this shape and the reason he put it on the shelf is it stopped working because of the wear on the mags
lads doesn't Pilkington do these in the states
http://www.pilkguns.com/

mags can be found in Europe at fair prices or at least you would know if you were getting a fair price
https://buinger.com/5-shot-magazin-for-STEYR-air-pistol-LP-50-and-LP-5
just here is a huge difference
http://www.pilkguns.com/store/Steyr-Magazine-for-LP50-or-LP5-5-shot-p84798879
https://www.steyr-sport.com/en/accessory/accessory-air-pistols/30-magazines
now here is an option
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/11569779385...qNAxkdtwM+4F31x+FIYs2GP4AB2r|tkp:BFBM2Kmd_NBi

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/11563202779.../zD3ywwHzVWPGSephbzDukfYujL7|tkp:BFBM2Kmd_NBi
https://www.akah.eu/spare-magazines-for-alarm-guns/magazine-for-steyr-lp-550-5-schuss-23261000

how about Krale good price but shipping
https://www.krale.shop/us/magazine-steyr-lp50-4-5-mm-5-rounds/

you get the point shop around but i would say 4 or 5 mags is what you what