Sub-MOA Barrels

Here's a good HAM reporting article about the new barrel manufacturer, Sub-MOA. This is a new business venture by Tom Costan and Tracy Skipper to provide super-accurate machined barrels at specialized twist rates. The airgun industry, benchrest competitor, and shooting sports enthusiasts alike have been needing this technology to get to the next level of chasing accuracy.

It is a bit funny, the .177 caliber, which is after all THE caliber when it come to competitive rifle and pistol shooting ( well as far as i know )
Not made.
Now i know people shoot a hell of a lot more calibers in a hell of a lot other kind of shooting disciplines, but i still find it funny in a sad way that .177 are left out,,,,, again.

I like that there is a possibility of them making a complete drop in Barrel.

1721654221575.png

As I'm learning, getting the right barrel is only one step. If you can't find someone to correctly finish machine the barrel to your application, you will just be stuck with a very expensive metal tube that you may be able to use for a prybar. Probably not even a good prybar either.

Allen

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
It is a bit funny, the .177 caliber, which is after all THE caliber when it come to competitive rifle and pistol shooting ( well as far as i know )
Not made.
Now i know people shoot a hell of a lot more calibers in a hell of a lot other kind of shooting disciplines, but i still find it funny in a sad way that .177 are left out,,,,, again.
I here you completely thats why i bought this single hole tack driver for .177 extra long barrel
Screenshot_20240721_225716_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: Str8tshooter
I like that there is a possibility of them making a complete drop in Barrel.
If they are indeed making superior barrels, well any brand with half a wit would make damn sure they have the specs to make barrels that are a drop in replacement on whatever their rifle was born with.
I would for sure want a superior drop in barrel for any of my rifles, that is if it do not carry a exorbitant price of course, CUZ as a pensioner you do have to flip your pennies to make them reach until the end of the month.

Well if you really want one, start saving them pennies…..here is a link to a barrel blank that would still need profiled and fit to a specific application.

Dave

Yeah these barrels will not be cheap and they shouldn't be. Well made barrels are hard to do and the ones that got the accuracy to go with it are even more expensive. These barrels are for the ultra competitive anal person wanting the best out of there rifles performance. It's worth it in centerfire because you can work your load up and make it very consistent. With air rifles shooting pellets, slugs you are the mercy of the projectile period. Same thing with 22lr barrels. Barrels are only as good as the ammo going through them. Better made barrels make that easier to obtain though.

@Peashooter @beerthief I'd think that of the demand were high enough to cover the costs of production, them Sub-MOA would no doubt make a .177 caliber barrel. That is, if that small of a diameter is able to be machined just as accurately as the larger calibers. Contacting them with a request for that caliber would benefit the inquiring minds, and give the new company an idea of the industry's demands.

Last edited:
I haven’t just built up a target air rifle but I have made some improvements on the 10/22 platform as well as some center fires. Unless cost is just outrageous I would put one on a good 177 platform. I’m a nut for accuracy and have a comp grade Anschutz in 177 that’s way better than me. I might consider a 22 or 25 on the right platform ie one that is good enough to make use of a fine barrel like this.

Rick H.

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
I wonder of a 177 barrel would be a lot harder to produce, with a even smaller diameter drill bit just to do the rough hole, then ream. Maybe less grooves but it still would need to be finished honed yet. I don't understand the complete process or complexity but it sounds like tooling could easily break.

Allen
Problem is it can be done. Are people willing to pay.

I would definitely pay for a 20 plus grain 177 slug shooting barrel that fit my impact and can shoot 20 plus grain slugs sub moa to 200 yards or more.

But would be just as satisfied with a .25 barrel that could shoot to 400 sub moa or further.

Allen
At what speeds would these needles be leaving the muzzle at? I plugged in some number to the Chair Gun app for 980 fps with a 0.075 bc and got 44 pfe. 960 fps was 42 pfe.

Reactions: Troy Bakel
I wonder of a 177 barrel would be a lot harder to produce, with a even smaller diameter drill bit just to do the rough hole, then ream. Maybe less grooves but it still would need to be finished honed yet. I don't understand the complete process or complexity but it sounds like tooling could easily break.

Allen
Some great videos on YouTube about barrel making

Judging from the different types and number of lands / groves in .177 barrels on the market, i dont think they are harder in any way to produce.
The CZub barrel in my Two have 12 groves, where as the LW poly barrel for same rifle only have 6 ( twist rates being the same )

It may be cutting a .177 barrel is harder / more time consuming than say cold hammer forging one. But the geometry on the cutting tool itself should be the same no matter the caliber you are making.

As a apprentice machine worker i onde had to make a tool for my lathe to make a very small thread as we did not have any tools to do it the easy way, some silly old imperial thread of course we had everything for metric and also most imperial just not that little one.

My CPU is dodecahedron with its 12 cores. I scuff my nose at quad or octagonal CPUs :)
I had to go to 12 cores, CUZ at the time i build this PC my phone had 10 cores, well and you can not have a phone with more cores than your PC.

Reactions: Smitty911