Suggested pcp rifle + compressor for a noob

thank you for the link's.. I'm looking forward to the bottle version and I keep hoping for a 30 caliber version..
I much prefer side lever to bolt action like the umarex gauntlet 2 in 30
Mark
I was actually just looking at the umaerx gauntlet 2 in .30 since the venturi combo is out of stock and i hate waiting. is the side lever much easier to operate than bolt action for follow up shots? ive had bolt action rifles before so im pretty familiar with using one but never tried a side lever air gun before

gauntlet 2 looks pretty nice though. 1000 fps with .30 is a lot of energy and apparently it shoots slugs better than the avenger (according to youtube videos, anyone can confirm?)

I was actually just looking at the umaerx gauntlet 2 in .30 since the venturi combo is out of stock and i hate waiting. is the side lever much easier to operate than bolt action for follow up shots? ive had bolt action rifles before so im pretty familiar with using one but never tried a side lever air gun before

gauntlet 2 looks pretty nice though. 1000 fps with .30 is a lot of energy and apparently it shoots slugs better than the avenger (according to youtube videos, anyone can confirm?)
I don't know how they compare since I don't have a gauntlet.. but as far as I know the avenger is not available so far in 30.. my pre- avenger is a american tactical Nova liberty and it's good out to 160 yards.. then the groups open up fast.. mine came with open sights.. I too have shot bolt action, my preference is lever action cowboy guns.. the avenger side lever gives you leverage and it's very smooth it's straight back and forward..
I did see a gun that I would really like to get it's a mustang lobo.. looks fairly similar to the Winchester lever action, but it appears that it's not available in the USA.. it's made in Spain..
like you said the gauntlet in 30 caliber seems like it has the most shots with it doing just over 1000 fps.
I've found if you want quiet it's best to be around 900 fps and well 1000 is louder but definitely more power and flatter shooting.. the gauntlet in 30 caliber has a threaded barrel for a suppressor, but apparently Donny FL is not available anymore.. I don't know if there's any other good ones available.
the shrouded barrel of the avenger quiets the report pretty good but my notos is so much quieter.. I so far have only 22s
any input or places to get a mustang lobo or something to replace Donny FL would be nice.. I have heard that the gauntlet 30 is really loud without the moderator.. it's a pretty long gun especially if you could get a moderator for it.
I have been watching pyramid air because they have a set of baffles from crossman that I think I read fits in the shroud of the avenger.
mark

I don't know how they compare since I don't have a gauntlet.. but as far as I know the avenger is not available so far in 30.. my pre- avenger is a american tactical Nova liberty and it's good out to 160 yards.. then the groups open up fast.. mine came with open sights.. I too have shot bolt action, my preference is lever action cowboy guns.. the avenger side lever gives you leverage and it's very smooth it's straight back and forward..
I did see a gun that I would really like to get it's a mustang lobo.. looks fairly similar to the Winchester lever action, but it appears that it's not available in the USA.. it's made in Spain..
like you said the gauntlet in 30 caliber seems like it has the most shots with it doing just over 1000 fps.
I've found if you want quiet it's best to be around 900 fps and well 1000 is louder but definitely more power and flatter shooting.. the gauntlet in 30 caliber has a threaded barrel for a suppressor, but apparently Donny FL is not available anymore.. I don't know if there's any other good ones available.
the shrouded barrel of the avenger quiets the report pretty good but my notos is so much quieter.. I so far have only 22s
any input or places to get a mustang lobo or something to replace Donny FL would be nice.. I have heard that the gauntlet 30 is really loud without the moderator.. it's a pretty long gun especially if you could get a moderator for it.
I have been watching pyramid air because they have a set of baffles from crossman that I think I read fits in the shroud of the avenger.
mark
man i was just looking at DonnyFL, they had some nice reviews and still available off third party sites but ~180-200 is a bit steep. probably going to get the gauntlet 2 hopefully it is not too loud. im moving to a semi rural area but dont want to alarm neighbors if i want to shoot some cans or something

man i was just looking at DonnyFL, they had some nice reviews and still available off third party sites but ~180-200 is a bit steep. probably going to get the gauntlet 2 hopefully it is not too loud. im moving to a semi rural area but dont want to alarm neighbors if i want to shoot some cans or something
well if you get the gauntlet 30 let me know how you like it and it's loudness, because it was one of the next rifles I was wanting, until I read it was loud.. plus for me to shoot it I will have to make a front sight and use the Williams notch sight or Williams peep sight for a rear.. I am not able to see through a scope without reading glasses otherwise I see 4 cross hairs and the reading glasses I can't walk around so it's made it difficult to go ahead and buy something that will end up being a project just to get ready to shoot..
I've thought about the reflex sight.. looks like a window with a frame and has a dot like a red dot, but if it works, I think it will be difficult to adjust for different distances..
I like long range but also shoot 50 yards..
Mark

Reactions: lsi45
For your use a .25 might make sense? All the power you need for what you want to do and much better pellet prices. PA still seems to have the Gen1 (?) .25 listed for $299.00. It is all about shot placement.
All the compressor information you could hope for in the sub section: https://www.airgunnation.com/forums/tanks-pumps-compressors.23287/
.30 no but even in .25 I wouldn't be afraid to use a $50.00 hand pump.

John

It’s going to be loud, believe it!

Amazon has the armada in .25 without a scope for 545 (before tax) right now.
I don't own one but have borrowed one before and I really enjoyed it.

Screenshot_20230529_235042_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Bolt guns are slightly more difficult to cock because you are pulling the bolt to compress the inline hammer spring. As the caliber goes up usually the HS gets stiffer. The side lever has a significant mechanical leverage advantage making these easier to cock. Its not a huge difference but its not like you are cocking a bolt on a powder bruner (PB) rifle.

I would suggest the wood stock over the synthetic stock Avenger as there is quite a bit of stock flex in the plastic stock model. If you live near a local airgun store you might be able to get a better than advertised price. I recently bought a wood stock model for my son in law and he loves it.

BTW, .25's far less ammo selections to chose from while .22 has 4X the ammo selections plus they will do the job on any rodent up to and including coyotes, with proper shot placement. Bigger is not always better...

Reactions: lsi45 and Shaky2
I ended up getting the .30 gauntlet, i think you guys were right, a .25 or .22 probably would have fit the bill but no regrets lol its pretty fun to shoot and the power is surprisingly good. been only using slugs and these things have been destroying coke cans probably as well if not better than when i used to do the same with a .22lr. oh btw i couldnt find a local place to pick up a donnyfl moderator so i modified and 3d printed one. its actually not as loud as i thought it would be, fired off maybe a dozen shots to test today. without the moderator its about comparable to a suppressed .22lr subsonic, with the moderator it was about as loud as my .22 break barrel crosman air rifle from memory. im assuming the proper moderator is even quieter but $2 of PLA to print one was pretty worth it. definitely worth trying if anyone else needs a moderator and happens to have access to a 3d printer

btw thanks for the heads up about the differences between this and a bolt action firearm rifle, i definitely was surprised at how much harder it was to cock but its manageable

For an affordably moderator try this link to Buckrail

I have not used his moderators but have used other 3d printed items from him with pretty good luck.

Edit: this is the link for the one for the Gauntlet.

Last edited:
For an affordably moderator try this link to Buckrail

I have not used his moderators but have used other 3d printed items from him with pretty good luck.

Edit: this is the link for the one for the Gauntlet.
Thank you for that! I knew there had to be cheaper ones around….

The avenge x will be a great choice if you aren’t in a hurry. I know the “date” on them is pretty soon according to PA however, not one gun has even hit the hands of a YouTube reviewer. I know nothing but I don’t think it’s coming relatively soon. Just an opinion. If you are in more of a hurry the avenger is a great gun. It is very possible to hand pump but you will probably want a compressor. I have the gx cs2 and it’s been great so far.

Hey all, Ive had break barrel air rifles for many years, and am looking to try out a budget pcp rifle and compressor thats less than $1k total. would like to use it for mostly target shooting and occasionally small pests such as rodents

I am considering the air venturi avenger .25 cal (~$350) for the better muzzle energy compared to similar .177/.22 models. apparently it gets 800fps and 40-50ftlb and looks like it has decent reviews too. has anyone owned one of these and can tell me how they are?

I am not sure what air compressor to buy, have never used one before. some others in the forum mentioned yong heng compressors but there are dozens of models from that company. is something like the yong heng YH-QB12-S good for $259? says it is 4500psi capable, 350w power and 3000r/min, those sound like decent specs?
So I just took the leap into pcp world with gauntlet 30 and am quiet impressed with it thus far.
after purchasing the gun, ammo, scope, scope rings, and a compressor I’d say im around $850 in.
I got the blue auto off compressor from eBay and so far it’s working fine for me.

I don’t plan on 1000s of range rounds, mostly to drop a hog or pest when needed. I’m already shopping for another just because……😂🤣

Congrats and welcome to the pcp rabbit hole. A word of caution to not trust the auto off switch. They have been known to fail so don’t ever walk away and leave it running unattended.
Than you for that, seemed to be working pretty well and hadn’t really thought about that.👍🏻👍🏻

I did note that when it kicks out at “4500” the gun reads closer to 4200….. that’s a lot of pressure, I’m ok with not maxing everything out!