Suggested pcp rifle + compressor for a noob

Hey all, Ive had break barrel air rifles for many years, and am looking to try out a budget pcp rifle and compressor thats less than $1k total. would like to use it for mostly target shooting and occasionally small pests such as rodents

I am considering the air venturi avenger .25 cal (~$350) for the better muzzle energy compared to similar .177/.22 models. apparently it gets 800fps and 40-50ftlb and looks like it has decent reviews too. has anyone owned one of these and can tell me how they are?

I am not sure what air compressor to buy, have never used one before. some others in the forum mentioned yong heng compressors but there are dozens of models from that company. is something like the yong heng YH-QB12-S good for $259? says it is 4500psi capable, 350w power and 3000r/min, those sound like decent specs?

Hey all, Ive had break barrel air rifles for many years, and am looking to try out a budget pcp rifle and compressor thats less than $1k total. would like to use it for mostly target shooting and occasionally small pests such as rodents

I am considering the air venturi avenger .25 cal (~$350) for the better muzzle energy compared to similar .177/.22 models. apparently it gets 800fps and 40-50ftlb and looks like it has decent reviews too. has anyone owned one of these and can tell me how they are?

I am not sure what air compressor to buy, have never used one before. some others in the forum mentioned yong heng compressors but there are dozens of models from that company. is something like the yong heng YH-QB12-S good for $259? says it is 4500psi capable, 350w power and 3000r/min, those sound like decent specs?
ok well I don't have the current avenger but it's forerunner.. it's a american tactical Nova liberty and it's no longer available.. the main difference is it has open sights and instead of the regulator gauge it has a hi/low power knob.. transfer port.. I don't think you can go wrong with the current avenger but I personally would have to get something different because it doesn't have open sights available.. mine is 22 with I believe around 900 fps and gets about 60 full power shots.. I believe they are decent guns, especially if you don't require open sights, I personally can't see through a scope without reading glasses and I'd fall flat on my face if I tried walking around the woods with reading glasses.. hence I'm stuck to open sights, plus they are better for moving target..
I also have the umarex notos and it's a lot quieter and reasonable accurate.. that said I again got the open sights for the $10 and I wanted a pistol so I got the pistol grips and never tried the stock.. again a good gun for the money.. less shots.. 4 magazine 7 round each is maximum.. again very quiet..
I got the Omega trail charger from Airguns of Arizona and they are a great company.. I'm very pleased with the trail charger.. I was going to try one of the ones you mentioned but I am glad I went with the trail charger.. simple and it drains the water separator each time you bleed off the air pressure.. I have had it since 2018 and all it does is work good..
pyramid air, I have had very good buying from them and they have always been helpful.. just suggestions.. other things might be a good fit for you too but I'm also thankful for this forum to get others experience..
by the way.. I don't remember the current price of the Omega trail charger from AoA, it might put you just over the budget but it's better to get something trouble free than to fight with something and end up buying over..
Mark

Welcome to the wonderful world of the financial black ⚫️ hole known as the PCP " hobby ". Most of us have AGAS, aka: Airgun Acquisition Syndrome. That's not a bad thing. To keep within your budget, I suggest the Air Venturi Avenger X. This gun should be released in June. The "Young Hen" compressor from Wal-Mart and the X-gun will be under your $1,000 budget a bit. Been using a Hen for over 4 yrs, works great. Have fun, we are here for you. Bill and Addi.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the financial black ⚫️ hole known as the PCP " hobby ". Most of us have AGAS, aka: Airgun Acquisition Syndrome. That's not a bad thing. To keep within your budget, I suggest the Air Venturi Avenger X. This gun should be released in June. The "Young Hen" compressor from Wal-Mart and the X-gun will be under your $1,000 budget a bit. Been using a Hen for over 4 yrs, works great. Have fun, we are here for you. Bill and Addi.
avenger X??? do you have any links to information and specs??
Mark

Thanks for the suggestions, this is the first time ive heard about the avenger x. from what i can see, is the main appeal the modularity? the rated fps for .25 looks about the same as the current gen avenger

avenger X??? do you have any links to information and specs??
Mark
Google and YouTube. You know, the obvious sources.
Bill and Addi.
Thanks for the suggestions, this is the first time ive heard about the avenger x. from what i can see, is the main appeal the modularity? the rated fps for .25 looks about the same as the current gen avenger
SMH.

Reactions: markhooper

I think the Benjamin Akela in .177/.22 is very good choice for a first PCP. Airguns of Arizona has the .177 for $429 and the .22 for a bit more. You get a beautiful walnut bullpup stock, and accurate rifle, a long picatinny rail, and lots of accessories available from Buck Rail, Hajimoto, and others. For the compressor I would look for the newest model Gx CS4 compressor. It runs about $700 on Amazon. I think they make the Omega Trail Charger that someone mentioned before. Those two items total a bit more than $1000 but you will eventually spend much more than that as you go tumbling down the rabbit hole.

Google and YouTube. You know, the obvious sources.
Bill and Addi.
SMH.
so I have seen a teaser video of the various avenger X models and I know that pyramid air is a sister company to air venturi the manufacturer but I have yet to see any release date or spec or pricing.. hopefully it rolls out smoothly unlike the notos kept getting delayed.. on a side note my notos barrel seemed like it was getting loose, so I took out the screw on the top just ahead of the magazine and yes the metric Allen set screw was loose, pulled the barrel and shroud and just checked everything and put it back together nice and tight.. surprised that even with the loose barrel I was put2" groups at 50 yards in pistol configuration
mark

I would like to recommend the Umarex Notos. Priced very reasonable at under $300 and very accurate at up to 50yds. Very light and handy and very back yard friendly. For a compressor the new Air Venturi RovAir at PA looks good for around $500. I have a Notos and it's my new favorite. I just ordered the RovAir Sat. so I'll get back to you after I have time to use it alittle. Does come with a 1 year warrenty though I believe.

Reactions: Farmplinker2
so I have seen a teaser video of the various avenger X models and I know that pyramid air is a sister company to air venturi the manufacturer but I have yet to see any release date or spec or pricing.. hopefully it rolls out smoothly unlike the notos kept getting delayed.. on a side note my notos barrel seemed like it was getting loose, so I took out the screw on the top just ahead of the magazine and yes the metric Allen set screw was loose, pulled the barrel and shroud and just checked everything and put it back together nice and tight.. surprised that even with the loose barrel I was put2" groups at 50 yards in pistol configuration
mark
Screenshot_20230514_203800_DuckDuckGo.jpg
mark

mark
Ted and Steve have reviews on YouTube. Many articles on internet. The Tactial tube variant is the lightest @5.9#. Priced under $600. 25cal 25.4 does 900fps. I'm sure it could be turned for 34gr. Bill and Addi.

Reactions: markhooper
For a first pcp and compressor I would go for the Gamo Urban. And my Vevor compressor has lasted over a year , no water and still going. I liked it enough to buy a second one for a backup. I paid $180 for each one . No water and can run off 12v also. The compressor should last a long time filling just the Urban . Mine Urban does 30 shots at 860 fps 23-24 fpe. Made in UK out of the BSA factory. Some of the Chinese pcp are sporting alot of plastic. 5 year warranty to boot.

Rifle 280 , compressor 180 , $ 460

20230226_141948.jpg

KC,
Welcome to the forum, glad you joined. As you see we kind of go all over the place with questions like yours, guess each traveled a slightly different path and wants to share. I'll suggest three modern design Chinese-made PCPs to consider in order of my personal preference; Dynamic Air Rifle (DAR) Generation 3, JTS Airacuda Max and Air Venturi Avenger (Wood Stock.) The Nangtong Yongyiheng Pneumatic Company, LTD., maker of the beloved "Yong Heng" compressor produces 5 models; Simple, Hardcover, Set Pressure, Auto-Stop and Digital. Hardcover is recommended as least complicated, best priced and with a Cyclonic Water Seperator. There are many cheap knock-offs and clones out there trying to pass as Yong Hengs, buyer beware. WM

KC,
Welcome to the forum, glad you joined. As you see we kind of go all over the place with questions like yours, guess each traveled a slightly different path and wants to share. I'll suggest three modern design Chinese-made PCPs to consider in order of my personal preference; Dynamic Air Rifle (DAR) Generation 3, JTS Airacuda Max and Air Venturi Avenger (Wood Stock.) The Nangtong Yongyiheng Pneumatic Company, LTD., maker of the beloved "Yong Heng" compressor produces 5 models; Simple, Hardcover, Set Pressure, Auto-Stop and Digital. Hardcover is recommended as least complicated, best priced and with a Cyclonic Water Seperator. There are many cheap knock-offs and clones out there trying to pass as Yong Hengs, buyer beware. WM
Worried Man: Nice post. Bill and Addi

I also have an AV Avenger with a wood stock and it is an excellent starter gun or even good for an experienced shooter. I got the 22cal. It is a very handy cal. because you can get pellets and slugs anywhere and at weights for almost any application. I also really like the AEA Challenger in .22 or .25cal. Very accurate and a real bargain at a little over $350. Also very easy to work on and learn how to repair or mod a pcp.

Reactions: oregondude