Sure makes me n-N-NERVOUS to butcher a $2000 rifle

Much more-so than butchering a $20 Crosman!

Sniper bipod.jpg

However, since my .22 Brocock Sniper XR has been relegated to single use for some time now (35 Foot Pound class in Bench-Rest Silhouette matches), I decided to convert it into a 30 foot pound pistol. Actually, a rifle/pistol convertible.

Chopping the Lothar Walther barrel to 15" took a considerably more stressful leap of faith than chopping cheap and available Crosman barrels. Recrowning the polygonally-rifled muzzle was a bit trickier, as well. However initial accuracy testing of the little carbine suggests no accuracy was lost in the barrel butchery.

Sniper Ristol.jpg

And velocity testing proves my hope of retaining at least 28 foot pounds of the 23" rifle barrel's 38.4 foot pounds was a conservative estimate. At full power (level 4 on the power knob), Mongo Mag is getting 865 FPS/30.1 foot-pounds with 18.13 JSBs. On power level 3 it gets 831 FPS/27.8 FP, level 2 = 736/21.8, and level 1 = 578/13.5. With no baffling in the shroud yet, it's LOUD. Hearing protection required! However I intend to reattach the moderator fitting to the end of the shroud, probably as the final step in the conversion.

Meanwhile I've ordered hardware to fabricate couplers to allow quick detach/reattach of the buttstock to the pistol grip, once I make those cuts. That part being unchartered territory, I'm hoping a combination of much forethought, excellent hardware, and very careful fabrication will do justice to the final rig.

The idea is to still use it in carbine form for 35 FP class Bench-Rest Silhouette competition, in pistol form for Extreme Pistol Field Target competition at power level 2 (after I reduce regulator pressure to drop power level 2 below 20 FP), and create a new Extreme Pistol Field Target class with a 30 foot pound power limit.

I'm thinking the new class will also be called Mongo Mag; and could be included in regular Extreme Pistol FT, or stretch EPFT maximum target distances to around 75-80 yards. Meanwhile I might use Mongo Mag in Extreme Rifle FT matches (for funzies). Regardless, Mongo Mag will no longer be single purpose.

Anyone else interested in 75-100 yard Extreme Pistol Field Target competitions?

@AirNGasman That's a nice looking creation with decent power retention. It looks like it is balanced and comes up and holds well. You said you didn't loose accuracy, so how is it for long range accuracy?

I haven't had still wind conditions yet to really wring it out. But in light winds so far it's averaging slightly smaller than 1.5" c-t-c five-shot groups at 100 yards. That's not bad for a 30 foot pound rifle anyway, but I figure I'm losing about a half-inch to the light winds; at least a quarter-inch.

I haven't had still wind conditions yet to really wring it out. But in light winds so far it's averaging slightly smaller than 1.5" c-t-c five-shot groups at 100 yards. That's not bad for a 30 foot pound rifle anyway, but I figure I'm losing about a half-inch to the light winds; at least a quarter-inch.
All told, that's a negligible power to weight ratio loss. Fine job Sir.

@AirNGasman Dr. Ronnie “the Butcher” is at it again. You’re killing me over here!! 😱 Must thou keep circumsising thou Brococks? I hope a trophy and check comes with that operation brother. I’m actually surpised you aren’t partnered with some company designing quality competition air pistols by now.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: swNCsw
@AirNGasman Dr. Ronnie “the Butcher” is at it again. You’re killing me over here!! 😱 Must thou keep circumsising thou Brococks? I hope a trophy and check comes with that operation brother. I’m actually surpised you aren’t partnered with some company designing quality competition air pistols by now.

Been a while since I was referred to as Dr. Ronnie, E4. Matter of fact, decades. But back in my younger days many-a girlfriend called me that. To be more precise, Dr. Ronnie STRANGELOVE!🥴

FWIW, I'm down to my last uncircumcised Brocock and have no plans to butcher Ol' Faithful. The .22 Bantam Hi-Lite 'semi bullpup' carbine is unerringly accurate, dependable, impressive and lovable... as is (top).

Bantams .jpg

But after recently being cheated out of the .177 RonCo BroCo (Hi-Lite) pistol conversion (bottom) by a slick-talkin' Okie (;)), that term an oxymoron if ever there was one, when I found myself totally devoid of butchered Brococks my imagination got the best of me and I couldn't resist the 30 foot pound Sniper pistol endeavor. On second thought, maybe that was a flashback or fever-dream.🥵

Far as partnering with some company designing quality competition air pistols goes, I suspect no company with an iota of self-respect would even consider associating with anyone like me. That said, I also suspect that leaves the field of prospective companies pretty wide open.😳

Probably speaks volumes that Mongo sits near the top of my hero list.:unsure::rolleyes: BTW, found a better Mongo video clip that puts not only Mongo into better perspective, but my hero-worship of him.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Ron,

I have to say, you ARE crazy (or how you preferred in Scott's thread, you are "demented", which is just bureaucrat talk for the same thing).

But, when you've done pretty much everything there is to do, winning matches, inventing them, starting new trends, publishing a bunch of books on airguns, well -- you keep pushing the boundaries and continue to invent.
And in that case, chopping up a beautiful quality rifle like that is just natural for a boundary-pushing inventor with a never failing look forward (and maybe a little terror to get bored).

Congratulations.
⭐⭐⭐
You have my highest respects for what you do.

Matthias

Ron,

I have to say, you ARE crazy (or how you preferred in Scott's thread, you are "demented", which is just bureaucrat talk for the same thing).

But, when you've done pretty much everything there is to do, winning matches, inventing them, starting new trends, publishing a bunch of books on airguns, well -- you keep pushing the boundaries and continue to invent.
And in that case, chopping up a beautiful quality rifle like that is just natural for a boundary-pushing inventor with a never failing look forward (and maybe a little terror to get bored).

Congratulations.
⭐⭐⭐
You have my highest respects for what you do.

Matthias

Thank you for the kind words, Matt. As I've written before, although I've explored all manner of projectile-launching implements and ways to use them, airguns have not only always been there for me, but the primary focus of my insatiable shooting addiction.

By exploring new, different, and often, DEMENTED ways to enjoy them, I never tire of airgunning. Thankfully my rural thirty-acre place is not only an excellent setting to exercise such passions, but also an excellent setting to isolate my demented self from the hoards of "normal" folk gone berserk.

About the only thing I miss about city life is girl-watching! As the Isley Brothers would say, I'm a girl watcher". And as Bob Seger would say, "Watch her walk!" :love: But suffice to say as girl-watching goes, it's slim pickins round these-here parts!:(🤮

Airgunning helps keep me out of trouble... and is considerably cheaper than a (third) wife! I know what you're thinking.:unsure:

No; I don't raise sheep! :oops:

:ROFLMAO: