Taipan Taipan Veteran 2 (550mm) with 25.4g

Thought I would contribute some data to those interested in the Taipan Veteran 2 standard - 550mm CZ barrel.

At lunch today I stuck a target at a laser measured 49.3 yards from the front of my shooting bench - paper plate that shows each pellet hole was my intention.

Rifle: Taipan Veteran 2 with standard 550mm CZ barrel
Scope: Athlon Midas Tac 6x24 @ 24x
Pellet: FX 25.4g (FX branded MRDs)
Velocity: 842-851 fps
Distance: 49.3 yards - green laser measured
Wind: 2-3 mph

The orange circles are 1/2” diameter edge-to-edge.

After the 1st 5-shot group, I shot 3 shot groups so that the PoI of each shot could be seen better.

Many 100 yard benchrest shooters shoot this .22 25.4g pellet at 960-970 fps.

I hope my data shows that excellent results can be achieved with the Vet 2 and this pellet at a more “normal” velocity of 850fps.

With this pellet/velocity combination, my .22 Vet 2 is VERY quiet with stock moderator - and I’m comparing against 15 other PCPs. Very backyard friendly.

Conclusion: .22 Taipan Vet 2 550mm achieves excellent accuracy at 50 yards with 25.4g FX/JSB pellets at 850fps. My shot count is at least 60 (perhaps close to 70) with the regulator at 145bar. The rifle is quiet - despite making good power with these heavy .22 pellets.

Hope this helps those pellet shooters thinking about a Veteran 2 in .22 caliber.

-Ed

IMG_5393.jpeg

IMG_5392.jpeg

What are you using for rear rest..? sorry for going off topic but can't resist. Those dang Taipans sure get about 100% love .They gotta be doing something right

Precision lab tables from AliExpress. These are incredible, will exceed your expectations for build quality. Extremely smooth precision. Blocks of solid aluminum. Heavy - not cheap - about $80 each delivered- awesome tables.

Side to side table: 80A-DB40 is the model I have, you will not need a longer one.

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $19.02 49% Off | 1PC X Axis Linear Stage Stroke 50MM 80MM 120MM Fine‑Tuning Precision Sliding Table Micro Manual Translation Stag

Lift table:

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $15.00 45% Off | High Precise Manual Lift Z-axis Scissor Manual Lab Jack Elevator Optical Sliding Lift Platform Linear Stage Aluminum Alloy

These sticky sunglass mats in between:

-Ed

IMG_3567.jpeg

IMG_3644.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaxjax
Love my taipan veteran long. Been thinking about the veteran 2. I have the same scissor lift also for a shooting rest. Only mine doesn't look as well built as yours

Not just a lift table. Lower table does left / right adjustment. These are high precision laboratory tables - you need to turn the knobs to appreciate the precision - extremely fine adjustments are easy.

My rifle clamp up front uses a panoramic arca clamp. The pano clamp allows free movement when you turn the knobs on the rear rest. This prevents stiction from building up in the front rest when you move the rear of the rifle via the rear knobs. When stiction unloads when your rifle recoils, it can throw your shot off target.

-Ed

I'm 100% with you EPG. My Vet 2 with the 25.4 gr and the newer JSB Grand 28.55 gr is spot on. I have 2 guns dedicated to pest control. I don't hunt and prefer not to kill , but when it's necessary I want a swift and humane dispatch. I don't use them often , but when I do the first shot must absolutely find it's mark. Therefore my Vet 2 is a known factor and never disappoints.

Reactions: Jaxjax
Impressive groups, Ed! You are one of the few that gets good groups with the RDs. Are you using some of the new ones, or are you using the old versions?

Thanks. I’m a target shooter, so I usually don’t waste time shooting groups unless I’m tuning the rifle. But it was a quick test to see if consistency held out at 50 yards.

Here is what I’m always striving to achieve - this is Accuracy at 40 yards. The 10-ring is .125” (1/8”) in diameter.

I’ve used both the JSB 25.39 and FX 25.4 grain MRDs in my Vet 2 - they both shot the same - very well at 840-860fps. (All recently purchased - no “old” MRDs)

The new JSB 20.83g MRD Lights shot well in the Vet 2, but not as well as the 25.4g. I have some of the Grands (28g) but have not tried them yet.

The truth is that I much prefer the .25 caliber 25.4g. Its a super accurate pellet and more efficient with air than the .22 caliber 25.4g. Just my experience.

-Ed

IMG_5118.jpeg

Sharing a bit more data on Taipan Vet 2 .22 with FX 25.4g @ 850fps…

Shooting conditions were nice - overcast with mild breeze. I shot rows from top to bottom. You can see the mild breeze R to L picked up on rows 2,3 and 4 - pushing my PoI left.

I took 3 sighters during the card. Without the sighters I would definitely have shot a lower score. Incidentally, my two sighters before Row 4 went through the same hole - would have been Xs, lol.

Distance: 47 Yards (laser measured from front of bench)
Rifle: Taipan Veteran 2 .22 (550mm CZ)
Pellet: FX 25.4g (MRD)
Wind: 2-4 mph
Scope: Athlon Midas Tac FFP 6x24 @ 24X
Score: 191 10X

This was my 1st try at over 40 yards with the tiny Challenge target (10-ring is 1/8” in diameter). The Veteran 2 holds its accuracy very well at this extended distance.

A higher magnification scope (36 or 45X) would also help at this distance

-Ed

IMG_5400.jpeg

IMG_5402.jpeg

IMG_5401.jpeg

Reactions: Mr.H