Taipan Veteran Long LW barrel - trying to find appropriate slugs

The problem really is that you probably need to push a heavier slug at a faster speed. The standard factory power output from the taipan may require additional plenum and increased reg pressure to do that. Possibly even a heavier hammer spring. If this is a vet 1. You will most certainly want to do this. Sizing the barrel correctly also becomes important. My vet liked a heavier than pellet slug pushed at 970 FPS versus a lighter pellet at 840-890.

Reactions: MushroomPsyche
The problem really is that you probably need to push a heavier slug at a faster speed. The standard factory power output from the taipan may require additional plenum and increased reg pressure to do that. Possibly even a heavier hammer spring. If this is a vet 1. You will most certainly want to do this. Sizing the barrel correctly also becomes important. My vet liked a heavier than pellet slug pushed at 970 FPS versus a lighter pellet at 840-890.
The factory regulator is set to around 140 or 150 bars I believe. That's where it starts dropping off in FPS. I tuned the gun with the Huma Air regulator set to 90 bars, 31 FPE with the JSB Hades. I love it that low as I can leave the fill pressure at just 130 bars and it still gets 25 shots on the reg. It's also very acceptable in terms of noise when it comes to stealth shooting.

This is a .22 and your only getting 25 shots? Something ain't right. I get near 40 out of mine ( from full 250 bar fill ) and that's with the H&N 23g slugs @935. I do have a huma in mine too - forgot about that until you mentioned it. It's been quite a while ... thinking it's probably at 135-140'ish bar.
I'm getting 25 shots from a 130 bar fill down to 90 bar reg. The gun gets 100 shots from the full 250 bar fill.

Earlier today, I received the slugs that I ordered a few days ago. I tested them earlier tonight.

31.8 meters, 5 shot groups

JSB Knockouts 0.217" diameter - This was the worst of the ones I tested tonight. 1" CTC groups. The spec says it's supposed to be 0.217" but they measure 0.2181" for most of them. Certainly not even close to 0.217"

Zan 20gr 0.217 - These were a little better than the JSB Knockouts but still unacceptable. 0.73" CTC.

Zan 23gr 0.217 - I didn't test these yet based on what I saw with the 20gr version.

H&N 21gr 0.217 - These shot ok but nothing spectacular. 0.48" CTC group that includes 2 flyers.

FX Hybrids - These actually had the same 0.48" CTC as the H&N 21gr but I feel it's more accurate. I felt that I pulled 2 of the shots. I will continue testing this one. 32 FPE with my gun.

H&N 23gr 0.217 - This is by far the most accurate in my gun. 0.155" CTC group averaging 801 FPS (32.78 FPE) in my gun. I'm very surprised that my gun likes the H&N slugs at all as I've never had any luck with their pellets in my TX200 nor my Taipan Veteran. I'm glad though because these are relatively easy to get and much cheaper than the FX Hybrids. Now, I don't know yet how these will perform at longer distances, but as I said previously, I'm really only planning on shooting up to 75 meters. If these remain sub-MOA at that distances, I will be very happy.

Interesting to note that the H&N 23gr is also the closest in diameter to the most accurate NSA 17.5gr slug. The NSA slug that was most accurate with my gun has a diameter of 0.2167". The H&N 23gr is 0.2168". Incidentally, the less accurate H&N 21gr were measuring below 0.2165" with some closer to 0.216".

In my testings tonight, I noticed that slugs seem to be far more sensitive to the way I pull the trigger than pellets. I'm not sure if it's because my gun has a 550mm barrel and the lock time between a 950 FPS Hades and an 801 FPS H&N 23gr slugs makes that huge a difference but I can't think of anything else. I have set up my Taipan's trigger weight to what I feel comfortable for a hunting rifle; not too heavy and not too light. I set it up completely by feel so I don't have any idea of its weight. If I had to guess though, probably around 15 oz. All I can say is that it's still heavy enough that sometimes I feel that I want to slightly jerk the trigger rather than letting it break smoothly. For the distances I'm shooting at, I've never really had too much issues doing that with pellets.

With the slugs however, I find that it's super sensitive to that bad habit. I really have to concentrate on applying a constant pressure until the sear breaks for the slugs to hit their targets.

Case in point, the H&N 23gr practically did a 1 ragged hole at 31.8 meters on the first group I shot with it. I did a few more shots with the other projectiles in between and I came back to the H&N again with a totally different mindset. I don't know if I was getting tired but I noticed that I was slightly jerking the trigger and the group really opened up. I didn't measure it but it looks to be 0.75" CTC. I concentrated again on the proper trigger pull and the accuracy of that particular slug came back.

Also, this is why I said above that I feel that the FX Hybrids can be a bit more accurate. It's because that was the first group I shot so I wasn't fully aware yet of how I was pulling the trigger and just how sensitive the slugs are to improper trigger pull.

20240731_022049.jpg

Last edited:
This morning, I just tested the BC of the 3 best slugs. Chrono at 34.4 meters away.

H&N 23gr 0.217 BC = 0.059. Advertised 0.094
H&N 21gr 0.217 BC = 0.057. Advertised 0.091
FX Hybrid BC = 0.051. I don't know if I will continue testing this slug for now. The H&N 23gr is more accurate, has better BC, and costs nearly half the price of the FX Hybrids.

This morning, I just tested the BC of the 3 best slugs. Chrono at 34.4 meters away.

H&N 23gr 0.217 BC = 0.059. Advertised 0.094
H&N 21gr 0.217 BC = 0.057. Advertised 0.091
FX Hybrid BC = 0.051. I don't know if I will continue testing this slug for now. The H&N 23gr is more accurate, has better BC, and costs nearly half the price of the FX Hybrids.
Mine loves those H&N 23's.

I did another quick test tonight just to make sure that the results I got last night were consistent. I don't want to go about thinking I have accurate projectiles and turns out it was just a fluke. Also, remembering what I learned last night regarding the trigger pull, I was very aware this time of how I was squeezing the trigger and making sure that I am not jerking it to break the shot. It makes such a huge difference in consistency and groupings! I retested the H&N 21gr that I didn't like last night before I had the revelation regarding the trigger pull and it shot very well this time around now that I know how to properly shoot my gun.

31.8 meters
Top right target - H&N 23gr 0.217 - 0.58" CTC (0.155" CTC without the pulled shot on the right) (FPS = 805, 803, 802, 800, 801)
Middle right target - H&N 23gr 0.217 - 0.35" CTC (FPS = 802, 800, 800, 798, 798)
Middle left target - H&N 21gr 0.217 - 0.255" CTC (FPS = 838, 836, 836, 836, 837)
Zeroed H&N 21gr on the small targets below (FPS = 837, 838, 837, 837, 835)

Because of this latest finding, I think I'm going to go with the H&N 21gr HP Slugs just based on the fact that it's about 35 FPS faster than the 23gr with my gun's tune.

20240731_230549.jpg

I'm following this. I have a .22 Long and have had decent luck with some H&Ns 21gr. I'm trying some Varmint Knockers just cause. I'll get them some time later this week. Specifically the 22.5gr and 22gr XLHP. My barrel has the absolute slightest choke and is one of the best pellet barrels I have owned period out of dozens of airguns. Curious to find a lighter slug that will work well out of it. Mine doesn't like NSAs unfortunately. If these don't work only other one I'd like to try are the new Zan 20gr but that's it. But those 23gr H&N I should try. Alot of people seem to like them.

I'm following this. I have a .22 Long and have had decent luck with some H&Ns 21gr. I'm trying some Varmint Knockers just cause. I'll get them some time later this week. Specifically the 22.5gr and 22gr XLHP. My barrel has the absolute slightest choke and is one of the best pellet barrels I have owned period out of dozens of airguns. Curious to find a lighter slug that will work well out of it. Mine doesn't like NSAs unfortunately. If these don't work only other one I'd like to try are the new Zan 20gr but that's it. But those 23gr H&N I should try. Alot of people seem to like them.
What barrel do you have on yours? Not that it matters as it seems both LW and CZ barrels are made to the exact same specifications but I'm just curious. Also, is it the long or the standard length?

I'm really finding the slugs to be much more sensitive to trigger control and follow though than pellets. I don't know why that is and I won't pretend to fully understand it but that's just what I'm seeing. If I have to guess though, it might be because the slugs takes more time to get going to speed as it has more contact surface with the barrel. I've seen many people comment one of the frustrations with slugs is that one day they'll be shooting good groups and then the next day they're struggling to shoot sub MOA at fairly close distances. While there are obviously many factors at play, I believe that one of the biggest factor regarding this is the slugs' sensitivity to proper technique. I've seen it myself and the difference is huge; I'm seeing a difference of sub-MOA to more than 2 MOA at just 31 meters just by concentrating on trigger control and follow through.

I'm finding that the H&N 21gr and 23gr perform just about as good as the other. I'm shooting the 21gr at 836 FPS and the 23gr at 801 FPS. I do find the 23gr to be slightly more accurate but I also find that it's quite a bit more sensitive than the 21gr (see above regarding sensitivity). The smallest group I've shot with the 23gr is 0.155" CTC at 31 meters. I've come close a few times but there's always that one flyer that gets away from me. I can tell too as soon as I break the trigger that I wasn't perfect on my trigger pull. The best I could do with the 21gr is only 0.255" CTC at the same distance but I'm far more consistent with it as I've done it a few times. The 21gr is still very sensitive, but not nearly as much as the 23gr. With more power and higher velocities though, this might change quite considerably.

I've tried the 20gr Zan and it wasn't too good with my tune. I wasn't aware yet of slugs' sensitivities yet when I shot the Zan but I still got 0.75" CTC when I shot it which is why I didn't proceed any further with the Zans. I can test again tonight the 20gr and the 23gr Zans just to make sure.

I really do like the H&Ns though. Not much more expensive than the NSAs (2 cents per round difference) when you consider the 4 for 3 from Pyramyd Air and also, the H&Ns have much better BC and expansion.

I’ve said it a couple times over the years just to see if someone would comment on it. But nobody ever did. I have guns that will shoot both pellets and slugs with the same barrel. I always felt that shooting slugs, not close pellet ranges, but let’s say 75+ yards was a little more difficult than pellets. But only slightly. If it’s way more difficult then the answer is obvious and we don’t want to face it. Your gun is not a slug gun, yet.

I re-shot the Zan 20gr along with the 23gr.

31.5 meter distance. I put the average velocities along with the extreme spread so you can better judge yourself.

Zan 23gr (lower right target) 0.83" CTC avg 819, ES 5
Zan 20gr (upper left target) 0.655" CTC (0.28" CTC for 4) avg 867.8, ES 2. The third shot was a flyer. I felt that I pulled it a little but I didn't feel that I pulled it that much. This was a similar experience that I have with the H&N 23gr. Very tight group and then there is that one that ruins the group big time. This is why I picked the H&N 21gr over the 23gr version.
FX Hybrids (lower left target) 0.356" CTC avg 829.4 ES 3. This slug was very tight going into to the chamber.
H&N 21gr (upper right target) 0.219" CTC avg 855.4 ES 3. I re-shot this again as a control. This is actually the tightest group I've shot with these so far but just by a slim margin.

I also noticed that for the past 2 shooting sessions now, all my velocities are faster by about 20 FPS for each slug from when I first started testing the slugs. I don't know what's going on so please enlighten me if you do, but I think maybe the barrel could be leading/seasoning with more slugs I shoot through it. I haven't cleaned it yet. During the last session, I thought it might be the angle of my chronograph since it's an optical Caldwell, but when I set it up tonight, I made sure it was as parallel to the barrel as I can get it.

I can't wait to take the H&N 21gr to longer distances to see what they can do.

20240805_231816.JPG

What barrel do you have on yours? Not that it matters as it seems both LW and CZ barrels are made to the exact same specifications but I'm just curious. Also, is it the long or the standard length?

I'm really finding the slugs to be much more sensitive to trigger control and follow though than pellets. I don't know why that is and I won't pretend to fully understand it but that's just what I'm seeing. If I have to guess though, it might be because the slugs takes more time to get going to speed as it has more contact surface with the barrel. I've seen many people comment one of the frustrations with slugs is that one day they'll be shooting good groups and then the next day they're struggling to shoot sub MOA at fairly close distances. While there are obviously many factors at play, I believe that one of the biggest factor regarding this is the slugs' sensitivity to proper technique. I've seen it myself and the difference is huge; I'm seeing a difference of sub-MOA to more than 2 MOA at just 31 meters just by concentrating on trigger control and follow through.

I'm finding that the H&N 21gr and 23gr perform just about as good as the other. I'm shooting the 21gr at 836 FPS and the 23gr at 801 FPS. I do find the 23gr to be slightly more accurate but I also find that it's quite a bit more sensitive than the 21gr (see above regarding sensitivity). The smallest group I've shot with the 23gr is 0.155" CTC at 31 meters. I've come close a few times but there's always that one flyer that gets away from me. I can tell too as soon as I break the trigger that I wasn't perfect on my trigger pull. The best I could do with the 21gr is only 0.255" CTC at the same distance but I'm far more consistent with it as I've done it a few times. The 21gr is still very sensitive, but not nearly as much as the 23gr. With more power and higher velocities though, this might change quite considerably.

I've tried the 20gr Zan and it wasn't too good with my tune. I wasn't aware yet of slugs' sensitivities yet when I shot the Zan but I still got 0.75" CTC when I shot it which is why I didn't proceed any further with the Zans. I can test again tonight the 20gr and the 23gr Zans just to make sure.

I really do like the H&Ns though. Not much more expensive than the NSAs (2 cents per round difference) when you consider the 4 for 3 from Pyramyd Air and also, the H&Ns have much better BC and expansion.
My barrel is a CZ. And it is a Long.

I've been working on my follow through lately and I can see how that could be more important with slugs. I also can't say I've ever really tried hard to get slugs to shoot well. I did buy them for pellets so my feelings don't get hurt if they won't shoot a slug. But wouldn't mind getting lucky with it lol.

I've had the H&Ns for awhile as my Prophet Compact did really well with them. I'd say they're probably the best slugs consistency wise from multiple guns. Always try 17.5gr and 20.2gr NSAs but nothing to really write home about. The harder lead I think doesn't help.

Again to be honest I'm not truly searching for a slug but just playing around with them. As mentioned this is probably my best pellet shooter to date. I'd say I average around .3-.35" groups at 50yds with this gun some well below at .2" and others around .4" I've shot probably 20 5 shot groups at 50yds and not one has gone over .5". Just stupid consistent. I don't see a reason to even shoot targets with this one as it's almost too easy. When wind steadied the other day I shot this 5 shot group at 100yds. JTS 18gr at 915fps.
20240728_080158.jpg

So if I don't find a slug it likes I won't stress about it lol. But always a curiosity.

I re-shot the Zan 20gr along with the 23gr.

31.5 meter distance. I put the average velocities along with the extreme spread so you can better judge yourself.

Zan 23gr (lower right target) 0.83" CTC avg 819, ES 5
Zan 20gr (upper left target) 0.655" CTC (0.28" CTC for 4) avg 867.8, ES 2. The third shot was a flyer. I felt that I pulled it a little but I didn't feel that I pulled it that much. This was a similar experience that I have with the H&N 23gr. Very tight group and then there is that one that ruins the group big time. This is why I picked the H&N 21gr over the 23gr version.
FX Hybrids (lower left target) 0.356" CTC avg 829.4 ES 3. This slug was very tight going into to the chamber.
H&N 21gr (upper right target) 0.219" CTC avg 855.4 ES 3. I re-shot this again as a control. This is actually the tightest group I've shot with these so far but just by a slim margin.

I also noticed that for the past 2 shooting sessions now, all my velocities are faster by about 20 FPS for each slug from when I first started testing the slugs. I don't know what's going on so please enlighten me if you do, but I think maybe the barrel could be leading/seasoning with more slugs I shoot through it. I haven't cleaned it yet. During the last session, I thought it might be the angle of my chronograph since it's an optical Caldwell, but when I set it up tonight, I made sure it was as parallel to the barrel as I can get it.

I can't wait to take the H&N 21gr to longer distances to see what they can do.

View attachment 486091
Your pretty consistent with those 21gr H&Ns. Very nice! Would be nice to see how they do further for sure. Those Zans aren't quite as good as the H&N for sure for your barrel. I'd definitely play with the 21gr and stretch them out and see what they can do. And can play with speed to see if they tighten up at all if they don't hold together further out.

As to the 20fps gain that's a very good question that I'm not sure the answer to. I'd look and make sure your set screw on the side of the hammer spring is tight. Other than that I guess enjoy it lol.

My barrel is a CZ. And it is a Long.

I've been working on my follow through lately and I can see how that could be more important with slugs. I also can't say I've ever really tried hard to get slugs to shoot well. I did buy them for pellets so my feelings don't get hurt if they won't shoot a slug. But wouldn't mind getting lucky with it lol.

I've had the H&Ns for awhile as my Prophet Compact did really well with them. I'd say they're probably the best slugs consistency wise from multiple guns. Always try 17.5gr and 20.2gr NSAs but nothing to really write home about. The harder lead I think doesn't help.

Again to be honest I'm not truly searching for a slug but just playing around with them. As mentioned this is probably my best pellet shooter to date. I'd say I average around .3-.35" groups at 50yds with this gun some well below at .2" and others around .4" I've shot probably 20 5 shot groups at 50yds and not one has gone over .5". Just stupid consistent. I don't see a reason to even shoot targets with this one as it's almost too easy. When wind steadied the other day I shot this 5 shot group at 100yds. JTS 18gr at 915fps.View attachment 486094
So if I don't find a slug it likes I won't stress about it lol. But always a curiosity.
Yes, my gun is a pellet gun and it doesn't hurt my feelings that it's not a "slug gun". It seems a lot of people equate slugs with 100+ yards distances. I don't punch paper much outside of testing and I'm not going to try to shoot an animal much past 75 or so meters. What I'm looking for in slugs is just that it's nice to know that I can deliver more power to target at 50 meters compared to pellets when it is safe to do so for a more humane kill. Not that I have any issues with the Hades which is why I don't really want to re-tune my gun for slugs. I'll be happy with any slugs to do sub-MOA within 50 to 75 meters in my pellet gun as that is well within a 1" kill zone.

Reactions: Dairyboy