Take a kid

So my neighbor asked if I would take his boy out groundhog hunting tomorrow šŸ‘ So I hope to let the little guy practice a few shots and get the scope dialed in for him and get him on his first whistle pig. I was told he can shoot a pop can at 20 yards with a .22. Good enough for me šŸ˜‚
well done. We need more youts in the shooting sports as well as hunting. Good on you. Youts your honor cousin Vinny,,

well done. We need more youts in the shooting sports as well as hunting. Good on you. Youts your honor cousin Vinny,,

My daughter has been in the field since sheā€™s been 6 years old. Dakota now has a strong passion to hunt and she is the best hunting buddy Iā€™ve ever had šŸ‘ I will never deny taking a kid with me no matter what. If they are to loud who cares and if they want to go home who cares take them home. Just give them a chance. A lot of times Iā€™m the one whoā€™s ready to go home and my daughter wants to keep going šŸ˜†

IMG_3777.jpeg

IMG_3768.jpeg

IMG_2718.jpeg

312600AD-E8B8-408C-951E-36A595D5EEDC.jpeg

IMG_2829.jpeg

IMG_1130.jpeg

IMG_3130.jpeg

IMG_3472.jpeg

IMG_3700.png

I run the firing line in our Junior Sportsmanā€™s biweekly program. Next week I plan on letting the better shooters send some pellets via my Pathfinder XR. It is all about ā€œgeneration nextā€ for me. I love seeing the youngsters participatingā€¦ Helps me keep the faithā€¦

Buddy of mine bought a DAR .22 for an entry into PCPs. I went up to his place last night to help him get it ironed out.

Grabbed the .30 Uragan on the way out the door, just in case the kids were there.

There were a dozen kids up at his place, and they had an absolute ball blowing-up soda cans full of water out to 80 yards or so (44gr Hybrids at 865). Itā€™s amazing how quickly kids pick up shooting, when thereā€™s no recoil or noise. They ran me out of air, and I never took a shot.

Iā€™ve found kids are much easier to teach to shoot than adultsā€¦. and ladies are much easier to teach than men (in general).

Everyone loves a good reactive target, even grown men are no exception to that rule!

Thereā€™s nothing in this world that brings me as much joy, as seeking the smile on a kids face when they blow-up their first soda can or catch their first fish.

I said the other day: ā€œI could fix 90% of the problems in this great countryā€¦ by giving every kid a Grandpa with a Red Ryder and an Aluminum boat.ā€

If someone has never shot a gun before (child or adult) the air rifle or pistol is by far the best place to start.

I started my kids with a Crosman 760 and open sights. Then moved to the Benji Disco, then on to larger stuff.

Iā€™ve found kids are much easier to teach to shoot than adultsā€¦. and ladies are much easier to teach than men (in general).

Everyone loves a good reactive target, even grown men are no exception to that rule!

Thereā€™s nothing in this world that brings me as much joy, as seeking the smile on a kids face when they blow-up their first soda can or catch their first fish.

I said the other day: ā€œI could fix 90% of the problems in this great countryā€¦ by giving every kid a Grandpa with a Red Ryder and an Aluminum boat.ā€

If someone has never shot a gun before (child or adult) the air rifle or pistol is by far the best place to start.

I started my kids with a Crosman 760 and open sights. Then moved to the Benji Disco, then on to larger stuff.
I agree with everything you said. One question I have is what % of new shooters were not happy with their skills. I was an average shooter and I needed a better method to eliminate a rodent problem. I developed a sight for a pistol that worked so well that I designed some sights for air guns. I then had a chance to have kids use them and they did better than myself. I started an air gun range in our clubhouse, and I am teaching kids to shoot from 1-13 yards with extreme precision. Their confidence in their skill of shooting is off the charts. What amazes me is 100% of the kids are capable of shooting hanging 1/2" caps at various yardage. There have been no failures due to skill level. The no-recoil and low-noise of air guns is definitely a big plus. Keep up the good work on teaching kids.

Reactions: bigbuck89
They were all very satisfied with their ā€œskillsā€ā€¦ as hitting stuff they shoot at is far more important than shooting groups or precision. The buddy whoā€™s place we were at canā€™t shoot groups well at all, but has a whole shop full of beautiful critters heā€™s killed all over the world.

Iā€™ve never had an issue with teaching kids how to run iron sightsā€¦ provided we establish eye dominance prior to getting behind the gun.

Buddy of mine bought a DAR .22 for an entry into PCPs. I went up to his place last night to help him get it ironed out.

Grabbed the .30 Uragan on the way out the door, just in case the kids were there.

There were a dozen kids up at his place, and they had an absolute ball blowing-up soda cans full of water out to 80 yards or so (44gr Hybrids at 865). Itā€™s amazing how quickly kids pick up shooting, when thereā€™s no recoil or noise. They ran me out of air, and I never took a shot.
Thatā€™s great!! You are right about the recoil because thatā€™s the first this the neighbor kid asked me. Soon as he knew it wasnā€™t loud and didnā€™t kick he was all about it.

They were all very satisfied with their ā€œskillsā€ā€¦ as hitting stuff they shoot at is far more important than shooting groups or precision. The buddy whoā€™s place we were at canā€™t shoot groups well at all, but has a whole shop full of beautiful critters heā€™s killed all over the world.

Iā€™ve never had an issue with teaching kids how to run iron sightsā€¦ provided we establish eye dominance prior to getting behind the gun.
Sometimes itā€™s nice to shoot for fun and not get all wrapped up in the precision part of it.

Sometimes itā€™s nice to shoot for fun and not get all wrapped up in the precision part of it.
I would agree with you about the precision if I was shooting any other sight. All the kids have fun shooting precision with no pressure. It is easy for 7-year-old kids to shoot 1/4" beads and 1/2" caps at various ranges out to 15 yards with my sight and a Diana pistol. They don't know that it is hard to shoot precisely at close range. I have to "pretend to chew them out" when they keep shooting the fish line that holds the beads. They just laugh at me and keep shooting.

I have spent over 8 years developing this sight and lots of money. I'm too old to start production and manufacturers aren't interested in licensing new ideas. I have developed many new mounts, and no sights are for sale. I do not plan on doing any marketing. I do enjoy having the kids shoot well. And it is easier to train 10 kids rather than re-train 1 old stubborn codger that knows how to shoot. ;) Have a good day!

Reactions: bigbuck89
Donā€™t get me wrong, there was still some ā€œprecisionā€ā€¦ the last shot of the day, was by the youngest kid there. 8 year old Harvey wanted to shoot a bottle cap, so I told him to go set one upā€¦. Which he did at a lasered 62 yards. I thought his plan was rather ambitious, but figured Iā€™d give him the last couple shots before the gun was off the reg. So I dialed the range (+.8 mil from a 45yd zero) and handed the gun over.

He ran the gun himself, found the bottle cap in the scope (after a bit of fumbling)ā€¦ Iā€™ll be damned if he didnā€™t blow that cap 6 feet in the air with the first shot, and it was not a glancing blow. I donā€™t think his little feet touched the ground on his way to retrieve his trophy. He then showed it off to his mom, put it in his pocket, and itā€™s now mounted on the wall in his bedroom. He has no idea that Iā€™m about as proud of it as he is.