HW/Weihrauch Talk me into a Weihrauch HW100

Ever since I got into a PCP 4 years ago, I've always wanted a Weihrauch HW100. When I bought my PCP, I ultimately picked between it and my current gun, the Taipan Veteran. At the time, I picked the Taipan Veteran because it is much shorter even in its long configuration. I love the way the Taipan Veteran look, but I also love the traditional rifle look of the HW100. Given the same choice today, I would still pick the Taipan Veteran first... but now that I have it for a few years now, I still can't get the HW100 out of my head.

The HW100 seems to be well tuned from the factory. What has everyone's experiences with the gun's first shot consistency? I don't mind tuning the gun, but the HW100 looks like I have to disassemble it quite a bit just to get to the hammer and regulator. It would be really nice if it shot close to 30 FPE and have the first shot be on point without me having to touch the gun.

Another concern I have is the anti-double load mechanism. There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to exactly how the anti-double load mechanism in this gun works. A lot of the videos I've seen showing this feature only shows that the anti-double load mechanism works when the gun is already cocked. What I'm concerned about is when I decock the gun, would the mechanism still work? With my Taipan Veteran serving as a standby varmint rifle, I sometimes chamber a round but end up not firing it. I decock the gun with the round still in the chamber and the next time I need to take a shot, I just re-cock it again without having to fiddle with the magazine. Simple. With the HW100 however, I keep reading mixed comments about it. Some people say that decocking the rifle, the magazine will cycle to the next round when it is recocked again. Other say that the anti-double load mechanism will not let it happen even after a decock.

My hang up is if I buy the HW100, it will mostly be for aesthetic reasons. It doesn't serve a different purpose as the Taipan Veteran. I really still love my Taipan Veteran. It does everything I need, it gets 100 shots on the reg at my 32 FPE tune and it is quite accurate. I love the way it looks but I also love the way the HW100 looks.

20240714_223439.jpg

I have the full length rifle version that is rated at 50 joules and it does just a tad more at 39 ft lbs with the 18 grain JSBs which are the most accurate in it. In my shooting the first shot has always landed in the groups same as the following shots. For a 30 ft. Lb. gun you might consider the carbine version. I never decock my rifle with a magazine in place so I can't tell you about the anti- double feed after a decocking as I haven't done it yet. I can try tomorrow if you would want. It has worked as intended otherwise. I have fired a shot and removed the the magazine when intended to not use for a while or just fired a shot and left it as is. The safety acts as a cocked indicator as it only functions when the action is cocked.

The hammer spring is adjustable for tinkerers, while the regulator "can" be adjusted but not as easily. I have not touched either as I was quite satisfied with the power of the gun as it came, just perfect. The trigger is adjustable but since it is around 11 ounces I've never touched that either. My rifle got 28 shots with the original reservoir. I bought a Rat Works extended length cylinder that gives 42 shots. I do not know the capacity of the carbine. My rifle with the Hawke scope is a bit over 10 pounds.

I have the full length rifle version that is rated at 50 joules and it does just a tad more at 39 ft lbs with the 18 grain JSBs which are the most accurate in it. In my shooting the first shot has always landed in the groups same as the following shots. For a 30 ft. Lb. gun you might consider the carbine version. I never decock my rifle with a magazine in place so I can't tell you about the anti- double feed after a decocking as I haven't done it yet. I can try tomorrow if you would want. It has worked as intended otherwise. I have fired a shot and removed the the magazine when intended to not use for a while or just fired a shot and left it as is. The safety acts as a cocked indicator as it only functions when the action is cocked.

The hammer spring is adjustable for tinkerers, while the regulator "can" be adjusted but not as easily. I have not touched either as I was quite satisfied with the power of the gun as it came, just perfect. The trigger is adjustable but since it is around 11 ounces I've never touched that either. My rifle got 28 shots with the original reservoir. I bought a Rat Works extended length cylinder that gives 42 shots. I do not know the capacity of the carbine. My rifle with the Hawke scope is a bit over 10 pounds.
Thanks so much for the reply. Yes, it would be greatly appreciated if you could try to de-cock and see if the magazine will cycle when you re-cock it again. 39 FPE quite hot considering Airguns of Arizona rates the long ones at only 27 FPE. I did suspect though that the specs on the site is not correct.

Also, what is your experience with cold barrel shots? Do you get low first shots? I would guess no, since I would assume that these guns come perfectly tuned (regulator pressure and hammer spring tension) from the factory.

Reactions: .20calguy
These are the current specs on Weihrauchs home page; 35 joules for the .22 cal. carbine, 50 for the .22 rifle. 25.8 ft lbs for the carbine, 36.9 for the rifle. The information at AOA is outdated.

I couldn't wait until daylight to find out about the double loading bit. After uncocking, it did rotate the magazine loading another pellet when recocking. So holding the trigger back and letting the cocking lever back forwards is treated as firing, it will feed a pellet on pulling the cocking lever back resetting the trigger.

Last edited:
I own both a Veteran and an HW 100, and they are both excellent rifles. Tuning the HW 100 is not difficult, although some minor disassembly is required. The HST is not easy to adjust as in the Veteran, but the reg adjustment is easier, so I'd call it a tie. The anti-double load feature in the Veteran is probably the best in the business. That said, the HW 100 can be operated equally effectively. If a pellet is chambered and the shot not taken, simply slide the magazine engagement button back. This disengages the mag from the gear actuator, making the mag function manual. In this position the rifle can be repeatedly decocked and cocked without advancing the magazine. When the rifle is cocked again, either leave the mag engagement deactivated, or slide it forward again. If left disengaged, it's an easy finger or thumb motion to manually advance the magazine for the next shot. If I were hunting with the HW 100 I would leave the magazine auto advance disengaged, as manual operation is very easy and the anti-double feed operation is useful when hunting.

These are the current specs on Weihrauchs home page; 35 joules for the .22 cal. carbine, 50 for the .22 rifle. 25.8 ft lbs for the carbine, 36.9 for the rifle. The information at AOA is outdated.

I couldn't wait until daylight to find out about the double loading bit. After uncocking, it did rotate the magazine loading another pellet when recocking. So holding the trigger back and letting the cocking lever back forwards is treated as firing, it will feed a pellet on pulling the cocking lever back resetting the trigger.
Thank you so much for checking. This finally answered this main question that I have regarding this gun. This helps me greatly.

I own both a Veteran and an HW 100, and they are both excellent rifles. Tuning the HW 100 is not difficult, although some minor disassembly is required. The HST is not easy to adjust as in the Veteran, but the reg adjustment is easier, so I'd call it a tie. The anti-double load feature in the Veteran is probably the best in the business. That said, the HW 100 can be operated equally effectively. If a pellet is chambered and the shot not taken, simply slide the magazine engagement button back. This disengages the mag from the gear actuator, making the mag function manual. In this position the rifle can be repeatedly decocked and cocked without advancing the magazine. When the rifle is cocked again, either leave the mag engagement deactivated, or slide it forward again. If left disengaged, it's an easy finger or thumb motion to manually advance the magazine for the next shot. If I were hunting with the HW 100 I would leave the magazine auto advance disengaged, as manual operation is very easy and the anti-double feed operation is useful when hunting.
Thank you for letting me know. I wasn't aware that you could disengage the magazine lock while using the rifle. I always just assumed that the lock automatically engages like on the Veteran when you close the bolt. I think the Taipan Veteran has really spoiled me in this regard. Mind you, I don't use it as an excuse to be absent minded... I always know the status of my gun's chamber. It is however very convenient not having to fiddle with it in a hunting situation. I can definitely deal with manually turning on and off the magazine indexing. I think this is similar to how the previous Kalibrguns work where there is a lever that engages and disengages the magazine indexing.

Reactions: .20calguy
I may be one of the dinosaurs in the room when it comes to aesthetic air rifle looks....(no forward bottles for me) , but maybe that's what being older means...? I've owned an HW 110 ST .177 for a number of years and it is an excellent shooting rifle, so I couldn't imagine going wrong with its' higher end stablemate. The ease of loading mags and the quietness of the HW moderators are a real plus!
My 110 was my go-to rifle for backyard pests for a number of years.... until my Daystate Revere showed up and took the crown.... but only for the reason of handling weight.
Good Luck and good shooting with your purchase. (y)

Aesthetics of traditional rifles is what I prefer; when I was searching for a rifle to buy the decision boiled down to three: Weihrauch HW100S, FX Dreamline Classic Walnut or Daystate Huntsman Revere. The FX rifles were never in stock anywhere and the Daystates were more expensive and took a higher fill pressure; after watching all of the available videos and 'net posts, I decided on the Weihrauch. It's a great rifle. If a squirrel shot is missed it's my fault!

The HW100 is one of the best airguns ever and has THE BEST trigger of any airgun not counting Anschutz, FWB etc target rifles, which it rivals. The reg does require some disassembly, but with the HW100 Tuning reg gauge you can quickly set the pressure to your liking. The hammer spring only requires the back cover plate to be removed. While the rifle is fully adjustable, it is certainly not like the FX rifles with external knobs. It is a more traditional rifle like the FX Royale. I rate it as one of the finest pcp rifles made. It is a bit heavy, but adding a Titanium air cylinder makes it wonderful.

The HW100 is one of the best airguns ever and has THE BEST trigger of any airgun not counting Anschutz, FWB etc target rifles, which it rivals. The reg does require some disassembly, but with the HW100 Tuning reg gauge you can quickly set the pressure to your liking. The hammer spring only requires the back cover plate to be removed. While the rifle is fully adjustable, it is certainly not like the FX rifles with external knobs. It is a more traditional rifle like the FX Royale. I rate it as one of the finest pcp rifles made. It is a bit heavy, but adding a Titanium air cylinder makes it wonderful.
Agree, all good points. But I would not spend the money on a reg tuning gauge. The set point of the reg is not really a preference, but rather the result of where the tuning guides it. Since lower reg pressure generally conserves air, start low and work up until you can get about 105% of your target velocity by increasing HST. At that point, the reg set point really makes no difference. Just back off HST to the desired velocity and you should have a reasonably well-balanced tune.

Reactions: wamf and Dairyboy
I have two HW100 Bullpups. One in .22 and one in .177. They are the two best PCP's I own. The .177 is the most accurate, but they both perform extremely well with non expensive CPHP's. They will shoot near one hole groups a 35 yrds with JSB 18s. Weihrauch makes great weapons. I have never had any issues with any of my Weihrauch toys. My HW44 and HW90 also perform perfectly. I highly recommend them to anyone.

Reactions: MushroomPsyche
I’m a fan of HW100’s. I owned one in .20cal for years, it was a tac driver and I cry when I think about why I had to sell it. Hoping to pick up a second hand .22 in a few weeks time.
Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder, and unfortunately I see no beauty in your tipan veteran. The HW100 on the other hand is, in my eyes, a beautiful rifle, and the T variety’s (thumbhole stocks) are simply drop dead gorgeous!!!