• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tanks that can’t be hydroed ??

Just talked to the local dive shop here in Michigan. He had two omega scba 45 min tanks that had been dropped off for hydro. He said that he found out no one in the state of Michigan can test them. For some reason they can’t be hydro tested. He said they had to be rolled and ultrasonic tested. I’m not positive but I believe he referred to them as ISO cylinders. He thought maybe it would be the case with all the China cylinders. Has anyone heard this before??

If they were life extended past 15 years and had beem MAE tested, then he is correct (only way to tell would be to look at the last recert sticker on the tank). But outside of that, it definitely seems odd that they couldn't be hydro tested. I suppose there could be some odd standard in place for testing tanks that are not produced under a DOT Special Permit, but that would be news to me.

If they were life extended past 15 years and had beem MAE tested, then he is correct (only way to tell would be to look at the last recert sticker on the tank). But outside of that, it definitely seems odd that they couldn't be hydro tested. I suppose there could be some odd standard in place for testing tanks that are not produced under a DOT Special Permit, but that would be news to me.
They have a list of dot sp numbers on their wall that they can get hydro tested. They can’t get anything done not on the list. The dive shop doesn’t have the equipment to do it themselves. They take them somewhere in the Detroit area I believe. As far as fire departments go I would suspect they are not buying tanks from over seas.

Last edited:
That doesn't sound right to me. Here's where I get all my tanks hydroed.
In Michigan, M59 and US23 area. $50
17189011235828623259893034113772.jpg

Reactions: Trucker3573
Just talked to the local dive shop here in Michigan. He had two omega scba 45 min tanks that had been dropped off for hydro. He said that he found out no one in the state of Michigan can test them. For some reason they can’t be hydro tested. He said they had to be rolled and ultrasonic tested. I’m not positive but I believe he referred to them as ISO cylinders. He thought maybe it would be the case with all the China cylinders. Has anyone heard this before??
How old are the tanks?

Offer him $5 for them, lol.

Last edited:
Omega tanks are made by Inocom in Korea, not China. Same company that makes CF bottles for Daystate and FX.

Reactions: Mike_Lenardon
Just talked to the local dive shop here in Michigan. He had two omega scba 45 min tanks that had been dropped off for hydro. He said that he found out no one in the state of Michigan can test them. For some reason they can’t be hydro tested. He said they had to be rolled and ultrasonic tested. I’m not positive but I believe he referred to them as ISO cylinders. He thought maybe it would be the case with all the China cylinders. Has anyone heard this before?

Two of my bottles are Omega's. Both were hydroed at Aquatic Adventures.

Reactions: Trucker3573
Two of my bottles are Omega's. Both were hydroed at Aquatic Adventures.
Ok good deal. I just had one done there as well. They are just more expensive than up in flint and wherever they take the tanks to be filled they don’t take measures or time to get a good fill. At least not in my one experience. They are however close to me.

They're pretty close to me also. Had they maintain their compressor and kept it running I wouldn't have bought one. Here is where Aquatic Adventures takes their bottles to be filled. MCS doesn't do hydros.
View attachment 474111
What I thought. They must do it rather quickly. 4500 psi fill cooled to 3900. Not good for 15 bucks. Flint puts the tank in water and uses a booster for a bit more gradual fill at the end.

Unless there's a different spec for the Korean bottles it's 15 year Life not 10.

You need to re-read my statement.

You get two hydros (at 5 & 10 years of age), then it's on to MAE testing. No third hydro at 15 years. Yes, two hydros TAKE you to 15 years, but IOT go past that, hydros no longer cut the mustard.

Doesn't matter where it's made, from my research. Tanks can't speak Hangul, so they don't know where they were born. :p