• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Target Design: What Do You Recommend — for High (and Low) Power Airguns?

What Target Design Do You Recommend for Competitions — for High and Low Powered Airguns together?

I'm looking to design airgun competitions for a growing airgun association in Peru.
And I would like to start with a clean slate — considering the power and technology that became available in recent years.
I'm posting this in the field target sub-forum — because you guys have lot's of experience with non-paper targets.

🔶 So, what target design suggestions would you have for me?

So far I consider the following factors important:

▪ reactive targets (i.e., they somehow show the hit from a distance, unlike paper that requires close examination)

▪ relatively low cost

▪ suitable for 12FPE guns and 100FPE guns

▪ suitable for short range (20y) and long range (100y [for 30FPE+ guns])

spotting scopes for every lane are not really an option

➠ The design is completely free, no need to follow field target traditions.

Thanks for any pointers, including steel grade, thinkness, the works. 😃

Matthias

Spinners and gongs. You can buy the NRL22 target package for about $400, comes with a KYL rack, 17 circle gongs and 10 target stands. You could buy individual targets based on your location, like little spinners that screw into tree trunks or big spinners that sit on the ground. It's easier to spot edge hits on spinners without a spotting scope than on gongs, but I would encourage each squad to have a pair of binos. A spotting scope is overkill, especially if you are only going out to 100 yards. I use 10x binos to spot out to 400 yards and they work great. Once you get going, you can mix in some animal silhouettes to make the targets more interesting.

check out you tube . " Do It Yourself KYL build " adaptable to single spinner targets . Start out cheap , common steel and move up to more expensive steel later .
IMG_1639.jpg
IMG_1640.jpg
View attachment 247753742_4421444537891423_7348676268197844321_n (5).jpg

Mattias,
All the competitors already have a spotting scope....on top of their rifle. Dial down the magnification for a more comfortable view. Small bino's aren't very expensive either- if not high quality - but like SCOTTON said - high quality not needed for 100 meters +/-. 8-10 power is plenty.
I'm in the same boat as you. Need to stay inexpensive- sounds like spinners/gongs is the way to get started.

Curtis

Reactions: JungleShooter

What Target Design Do You Recommend for Competitions — for High and Low Powered Airguns together?

I'm looking to design airgun competitions for a growing airgun association in Peru.
And I would like to start with a clean slate — considering the power and technology that became available in recent years.
I'm posting this in the field target sub-forum — because you guys have lot's of experience with non-paper targets.

🔶 So, what target design suggestions would you have for me?

So far I consider the following factors important:

▪ reactive targets (i.e., they somehow show the hit from a distance, unlike paper that requires close examination)

▪ relatively low cost

▪ suitable for 12FPE guns and 100FPE guns

▪ suitable for short range (20y) and long range (100y [for 30FPE+ guns])

spotting scopes for every lane are not really an option

➠ The design is completely free, no need to follow field target traditions.

Thanks for any pointers, including steel grade, thinkness, the works. 😃

Matthias
Hornady sensors that lights up $18/pair. Should be able to detect low power hits.

That way you can keep the overall Field Target design with a face plate a kill zone and a paddle that triggers the sensor.

Reactions: JungleShooter