Testing compressor and tank gauges

Where I used to work, they calibrated gauges. Put them all on one system and move the needle or mark the same pressure on all the gauges. I don't think these gauges are worth fooling with.

Smitty
Just would nice to if one is off a little and another significantly more. I like the idea of the chrony.. I'd have to do some fancy figuring.. math stinks!

Reactions: anonymous_.457
I have a little gx compressor and a couple airforce and fx guns. Everyone reads different on their gauges. Is there a quality gauge or better way to test the psi so I can see how bad the readings are?
I suggest going to the Wika Gauge, or another industrial company web site and look at their gauges, diameters, pressures suggest BAR, attachment points etc.
Read the section about how the percent of accuracy level is established for each gage, diameter of gage, and appropriate range of the gage, oil filled or not. Find the appropriate Wika gauge distributor, if needed, and request placing an order for the gage number you want. Won't be too long a wait.
Then set yourself up with your new Wika 1% Master gage and use it to correct the incorrect reading on your compressor or rifle gage so it fills to the correct amount. Mark your non master gage for future reference and check the mark every other time or so with your master gage. Yes, it does cost money for accurate equipment but it is worth it. You will only need one. Just my opinion, your milage may vary.

This is what I use. You don't need the most expensive gage as long as you use the same gage for all your testing
1000000151.jpg

Reactions: anonymous_.457
I almost always fill from my bottle using the gauge that came with my $200 fill set. It is a large gauge so it is easy to read and it seems to be high quality. The gauge on my YH does not work and I have not bothered to replace it because I did not use it. The gauges on my guns work and when I fill using the gauge on my fill set I do not exceed the maximum pressure recommended for that gun on it's gauge. If anything, on some guns the gun gauge says I can go a bit higher. I'd rather be a little conservative.

I do not think it matters much which gauge you use as long as it agrees reasonably well (within about 10 bar) of other gauges. If you have bigger differences it might be worth replacing a gauge, the little ones are easily less than $10 on Aliexpress. But if you were to overfill a gun by 10 bar, it almost certainly will not blow up or anything dramatic like that. I've overfilled my Prod and the only thing that happened was the velocity was really low until the pressure dropped a little. But I don't think you want to do this sort of thing routinely.

When we are using small inexpensive pressure gauges to measure air pressure it is a bit like using small inexpensive chronographs to measure velocity. We are probably not getting the world's best measurement but we are getting useful information and at least arguably it is as accurate as we need it to be.