The 8-10 year old low cost (CHEAP) Yong Heng compressor

Saturday morning and raining in the lovely but HOT state of Texas nothing to do so thought I would shoot this out. Was filling one of my 66 SCF bottles this morning it had been sitting for 2 years in my shop and it bursted a disk so empty. I have 2 large bottles and a ninja so I dont have to fire up my compressor much in the summer plus I dont like to get sweat on my guns just me. When I got into this I as many of you had to maybe not tell my wife the real cost of this hobby. The comp. back then was I think $499 sometimes $450 with shipping. My first pcp was a Dragon Claw 50 cal (air hog) hand pump was out of the question. As I am sitting there watching this old comp. fill this 66 SCF bottle from zero I could not help but notice now it is rusted and really just how good of a job it has done for me. I have 5 big bores and 2 small 30 cals. The only thing I have ever done is replace a few burst disk on the thing. I have done some mods/add ons or whatever I thought I would share if anyone wants to know. Some my ideas and some from fellow airgunners but the proof is in the pudding. The radiator is off of a tiny window unit found on side of road. Just a little habor freight cheap fan. I put a bigger water pump I think was $12.00 on closeout home depot. 2 pieces of pipe lined with carpet to set bottles in for safety while filling ( expired bottles not advisable) I put Royal Purple coolant additive in my predeluted antifreeze. Just mounted on top of a cheap 2 drawer rolling tool box so I can roll out of the way. I use a couple of air filters with water absorber and cotton filters. Hope this helps someone when making a choice to spend a bunch more money than needed

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1053.jpg

IMG_1054.jpg

That is very impressive longevity for a YH. I've gone through several and never expect them to last past 15-20 hours tops. I've had one shake itself to death and crack the crankcase literally in half after 5 hours. Maybe the QC was better a decade ago, but they're a pretty disposable compressor IMO nowadays. Maybe the fact you paid $500 and they now go for $2-250 on a good day shows a change in overall quality too.

If you had to guess - how many hours do you think it has on it? How frequently did/do you fill your tanks?

Reactions: MrP
I got 3.5 years on my 1st YH compressor + a full refund when it died. Have a few months on my new one now & been very impressed with it. It's worked great since the 1st fill, faster than my previous one & the oil is still crystal clear with ZERO discoloration (Husky full synthetic). The new one is more robust in design, assembly (had to do nothing in the way of tightening fittings or burst disc) & running temperature.

Reactions: Ranchibi
That is very impressive longevity for a YH. I've gone through several and never expect them to last past 15-20 hours tops. I've had one shake itself to death and crack the crankcase literally in half after 5 hours. Maybe the QC was better a decade ago, but they're a pretty disposable compressor IMO nowadays. Maybe the fact you paid $500 and they now go for $2-250 on a good day shows a change in overall quality too.

If you had to guess - how many hours do you think it has on i

If you had to guess - how many hours do you think it has on it? How frequently did/do you fill your tanks?
In the winter we shoot around here almost every weekend (big bores mostly so alot of air) probably 2 tanks at minumum 3 or 4 times a month .
t? How frequently did/do you fill your tanks?

I suspect that since the first stage uses metal rings and therefore requires oiling, there might be an interplay of both oil quality and temperature that can produce dieseling in the high-pressure stage. This rapidly turns the o-rings and inlet/exhaust valves into trash. Keep it cool and use a "breathable air" grade oil and the lifespan extends.

just a guess on my part

I suspect that since the first stage uses metal rings and therefore requires oiling, there might be an interplay of both oil quality and temperature that can produce dieseling in the high-pressure stage. This rapidly turns the o-rings and inlet/exhaust valves into trash. Keep it cool and use a "breathable air" grade oil and the lifespan extends.

just a guess on my part
Your are right also about the good quality grade oil in case which is also the royal purple compressor oil