The Killer Rabbits of Caerbannog: The Battle Rages

I hate rabbits, why is because they leave carpets of poop and tularemia (rabbit fever) all over the place. Below is a picture of their filth that goes all over the place, that I spray with bleach and enzyme soap, it's a gravel driveway, so I just spray and let it fester since there's no place to wash it away. So I must step carefully there. I think they come out at night and do their business.

Today at sunrise I got one, then a hawk came down and carried it off to save me from having to dump it on the compost heap. But it also got me, as I was blasting away I damaged the aluminum cover on the window frame, what you see is my repair. The Sig Virtus Semiauto PCP has a high line of sight, I mistakenly dropped the barrel too far, I wasn't out the window like I should have. And it's not the first time either, last week I got the window frame twice, had to repair it with some wood putty and furniture markers. That never happens with my Gamo Arrow but it's in the shop.

Please do the world a favor and blast bunnies, they're cute but so what, so are veal calves and they're delicious. I've gotten three the past week.

DSCN0125.JPG

DSCN0126.JPG

DSCN0128.JPG

DSCN0129.JPG

DSCN0130.JPG

My weirdest rabbit story, last year from the window in the above photos, I shot a baby bunny with a Barra 1866. Then I went off for a cup of coffee. When I returned, the baby's mama was nearby feeding on grass, while it baby's intestines were strewn across the lawn. I thought, did a crow or hawk come down and tear out its guts? Then I realized, it was mama, she tore its baby's guts out then went back to eating my lawn. Of course that callous bitch got hers.

This afternoon, I finally got a scope for my Sig Virtus PCP Semiauto, a Simmons Protarget with 40mm tube. I was able to sight it in on an old oak tree okay, although it's not the most accurate airgun. Then this evening, I spotted a good size buck about 25 yards from my sector, across the yard between two hedgerows near a utility easement. I raised the window carefully, he froze for a moment but went back to munching alfalfa.

As I drew a bead he turned sideways, while the heavy trigger on the Sig labored under my index finger, but I was finally able to get off a shot. As his body tumbled across the turf, he let out out a gruesome howl. His legs were useless as he dragged himself towards the hedge, as I peppered the area with lead in hopes of putting that poor bastard out of his misery, but he disappeared into the hedge without a trace.

Not the best kill of course but I'll take it. That's the nature of modern rabbit warfare. It's either us or them. When you put your foot into a bunch of poo that a moment before was your driveway, you'll know what to do.