The right glass is increasing my joy factor

Since getting into PCP’s and then Field Target I’ve struggled to find the right gun and optic combo. It certainly didn’t have anything to do with me scrimping $$$ on the equipment 🤪 as I really gave the best of the best a try.
Lo and behold I discovered the Sightron S-Tac lineup. Suddenly getting a good eyebox with an easy to understand reticle was easy; and making an huge difference in my joy factor.
Then I had a thought - what would happen if I got out Some of my first guns, guns that I’d pushed to the back of my gun locker and were gathering dust. What if I RE-scoped them with my new scope choice and gave them another chance?
Wow… what I thought were guns that were so so, or marginal shooters, turned out to be great guns that were being limited by my choice of optics.
A good eyebox, a clear image with a reticle that makes sense, does in fact make a huge difference on any good airgun.
I went through a lot of glass in two years time looking for the right one ☝️ and finally found the one that works for me…
Warning- results may vary with different brains 🧠
@bustachip

image000000.jpeg

Last edited:
I totally believe what you are saying. Some of the glass some people swear by just does not cut it whether it is more expensive or not. My brain or eyes just does not work the way other people do when it comes to scopes so I have to do the trial-and-error deal you did although with a more limited budget. 😅

Allen

I am an oddball in that I like higher magnification even at short distance. Maybe even especially at shorter distances and I can't afford the higher end scopes. However, I don't understand why there is so much of a following for the cheap scopes unless it is simply that they have never had a decent scope to compare it to. BTW, I prefer FFP. Never have understood why SFP is preferred for target shooting except for the size of the reticle staying the same.

Oh well, to each their own and I know what I like and what works for me! (smile)

All my best!

Kerry

Optics, as long as they work, never seemed to make a big difference for me. Biggest factor was my skill or ability. Now, at long range, high mag does help a lot. I mean if you have a sub moa gun. Have a fine reticle, and can place the reticle on a tiny target. Let's say, a primer cap at 100 yards. I seriously doubt I'd be able to do any better at hitting something that small at that distance with less zoom. Or a larger reticle. But generally speaking 14x is about all I'd want for out to 70 yards. Maybe 8x closer in. Pistols out to 30yrd are fine with dots or 2-4x scopes. But to be fair, sometimes I do put the rifle stock and rifle scopes on my pistols as well, so I guess having that extra zoom does do well to really establish a lot of certainty for how accurate a gun is or can be. 👍

Since getting into PCP’s and then Field Target I’ve struggled to find the right gun and optic combo. It certainly didn’t have anything to do with me scrimping $$$ on the equipment 🤪 as I really gave the best of the best a try.
Lo and behold I discovered the Sightron S-Tac lineup. Suddenly getting a good eyebox with an easy to understand reticle was easy; and making an huge difference in my joy factor.
Then I had a thought - what would happen if I got out Some of my first guns, guns that I’d pushed to the back of my gun locker and were gathering dust. What if I RE-scoped them with my new scope choice and gave them another chance?
Wow… what I thought were guns that were so so, or marginal shooters, turned out to be great guns that were being limited by my choice of optics.
A good eyebox, a clear image with a reticle that makes sense, does in fact make a huge difference on any good airgun.
I went through a lot of glass in two years time looking for the right one ☝️ and finally found the one that works for me…
Warning- results may vary with different brains 🧠
@bustachip

View attachment 429933
I was actually about to buy one of those, ( since I've been a Sightron fan for years), but read some bad reviews and backed out. It would've gone on my Prosport, but decided on a Athlon Midas Tac and have been pleased with it so far.
I hope the S-Tac works good for you, and would like to hear about your experience with it as you use it and learn about it.
Like how well does it range, the reticle for hold over if that's what your using, and overall glass
..etc.
Sightron makes nice scopes with a lifetime warranty, one of the reasons I went with them early on.

Reactions: cavedweller
In general, I like a lot of magnification. 4-16x is becoming my all around favorite. It’s nice to have low magnification for quick shots when hunting, but if I’m plinking or target shooting, which is 90% of the time, I just keep the magnification cranked up all the way.

I also don’t get the current trend of FFP scopes, especially considering that most of these same scopes have a focal range of 5 or 6. I just don’t see any way that you can shrink or expand a reticle 6Xs and still consider it anything close to optimal. It’s going to either be way too big or way too small at either extreme. I’d rather just do the math and adjust my holdover that way.

Here is a example of when I'm like what are you guys talking about when you say you like a lot of magnification? Im thinking you guys would like something like 40 or 50 but then you say 16x or even 20 is max? 🤣

My eyes really got to be messed up because my long range scope is 36 and I would actually like to get more if I could afford it. 🙃

At the same time with that much magnification you can see your heart beat when focused on what you are shooting.

Allen

Here is a example of when I'm like what are you guys talking about when you say you like a lot of magnification? Im thinking you guys would like something like 40 or 50 but then you say 16x or even 20 is max? 🤣

My eyes really got to be messed up because my long range scope is 36 and I would actually like to get more if I could afford it. 🙃

At the same time with that much magnification you can see your heart beat when focused on what you are shooting.

Allen
My minimum is 20x and if you look at my signature you will see that I am currently using a SFP 4.5-27 and a FFP 8-34 and I also would like MORE magnification if I could afford it in FFP.

As I said before, even and maybe especially at close range, I prefer high mag. I like to aim at a particular spot on tree rats and chippers. Not just aim generally at the head or chest.

I guess I adhere to the "aim small, miss small" philosophy. (smile)

All my best!

Kerry

p.s.

And my eyes aren't getting any better the older I get! (grin)

Ah okay I'm with you there if I can see the exact spot like space between the eyes of the rat (tree or otherwise) I want that to be the point of impact. Same with the targets even close up. Same poi on each target and at each spot where the lines cross on the target. 👍

Allen
When I shoot out to 96 yards, I have to admit that I do reduce the zoom to between 20x and 24x quite often, but only for the field of view/access to the reticle without being at the edge of my sight picture. I have found that depending on a precise shot when the holdover requires that I am at the edge of the viewing window/sight picture, I am more likely to miss and shooting .177 at ~850fps/10.3 pellets, the drop is too much at those distances to keep the target near the center of the scope if I have the mag at max.

As I said, I especially like max zoom/mag at the shorter distances not only to aim at a particular spot, but because from 10 yards (15 with the Athlon) out to about 65-70 yards, I CAN do it and still have the target within a reasonable range from the center of the scope. FFP just makes it easier as I don't have to guess at the holdover and the hash marks stay the same for holdover no matter what the zoom/mag level is. Whereas with SFP, I always have to guess because I don't click for range. Never had a scope that I trusted enough to be consistent when clicking for range.

All my best!

Kerry

Last edited:
That is some seriously awesome shooting especially with 10.3 gr pellets in 177! 😵

Although I wanted to get the absolute MOA thingie it was not available for my scope ring size so I had to improvise a bunch of stuff to make my own.

20240115_100059.jpg
20240128_214105.jpg
I still don't like the hyper elevated scope but I'll have to live with it until I can get or make a adjustable periscope with precise adjustments. This will allow me to keep the impact close to center of the scope. Since your drop is so extreme the Absolute MOA system may work with your scope if you have a 30mm or 1 inch scope diameter.

Allen

That is some seriously awesome shooting especially with 10.3 gr pellets in 177! 😵

Although I wanted to get the absolute MOA thingie it was not available for my scope ring size so I had to improvise a bunch of stuff to make my own.

View attachment 429977
View attachment 429979
I still don't like the hyper elevated scope but I'll have to live with it until I can get or make a adjustable periscope with precise adjustments. This will allow me to keep the impact close to center of the scope. Since your drop is so extreme the Absolute MOA system may work with your scope if you have a 30mm or 1 inch scope diameter.

Allen
Don't know anything about the "absolute MOA" thingie. And I am willing to bet that it would not be worth the money for me.

I would rather save my $$$ for a better FFP scope, but I am doing well with what I already have. (grin)

I am happy with what I have and have been very effective reducing the pest population in my small yard. So far this year, I have only taken 4 tree rats. If you look up "Tally to date" you should find my "diary" over the last more than 2 years of pesting in my backyard.

In years past, I would have taken as many as 10 times that by now. (smile)

All my best!

Kerry

p.s.

If that "absolute MOA thingie" cranks your tractor, then go for it! For similar reasons, I am still waiting for digital scopes to offer optical zoom past 20x and frame rates that will allow good slow motion without lowering resolution... at a reasonable price. Built in ballistics that WORK WELL, would also be a plus...

Of course, that is a Unicorn for now. (smile)

Last edited:
Reactions: cavedweller
Cavedweller, could you elaborate a little bit on your experience and the scopes that this scope beat out? The size and power of your Sightron is right in my wheelhouse. I am currently considering a Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 4x20. Did you happen to try that one and compare against? Thanks!
@PumaCarl - they say a picture or two is worth a thousand words... we shall see.
Of note: My EFT rig is using the bigger Athlon Scopes and the EP4 is on a .357 old henry Powder burner because it doesn't focus closer than 25 yards.
While the Sightron's 10-50x60 FT scopes are awesome they lack sufficient numbering on the reticle to make holdovers easy for an old brain/eye connection - same for the Hawkes. The Aztecs lack the crisp snap in that FT peeps like when ranging but they are nice and yet still need more numbering for my eyes, the Athlon Argos BTR gen II 6-24x50 have a great spread on the parallax wheel! BUT they also need more numerical holdover marks.
Sightron's S-Tac model #26019 is the same basic scope as their 26016 that i like sooo much but it's in MOA and it also needs more numerical markings to help during holdovers.
Important to remember every brain is different.

IMG_6815.jpeg
IMG_6816.jpeg
IMG_6817.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 429977
View attachment 429979

Allen
ohhh noooo more gizmos to buy.... the rabbit hole is widening.

Do you find any disadvantage of having a .1 mil adjustment compared to a .05 when doing FT? Having so many scopes, i wondered what your thoughts are?
I have not found any disadvantage.... i am able to hit the up close targets with the smallest KZ's just fine. At my home range for my practice sessions, i set my MDT knock downs beside a Paul Porch self resetting target with a smaller KZ. If i'm missing this sometimes helps me see more clearly "why I'm missing" ... usually it's the wind... because... after all, AGN members never miss - humor intended.
IMG_6684.jpeg

IMG_6685.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a 3-16 STAC and it has been a GREAT scope so far. I wish I could afford a few more!

I agree that good quality and appropriately matched glass can make or break an airgun.
That scope is on my radar. I shoot mostly bench and was using a midas tac 6-24. I have since bought a used SII 36x and 24x that I use on bench, the Midas Tac just sits in the box. Its too much scope (large and magnification) for hunting /pesting where i use variable power. And frankly I got to a fixed 10x or 4x scope I have for hunt/pest. So now that i've written my thoughts, do I need a variable power? haha