The thing I hate most about .177 cal....

...Firearms don't use this caliber size.
This means, if you want to make your own barrel, or try something off the shelf, you are most likely going to get a .172 cal barrel or tube, which is what firearms use.
I really want a rifle that can shoot heavy 177 slugs, but I look at the twist rates and they are something like 1:20. I think it's clear that these gun are designed around traditional pellets.
What's amazing is that a 17hmr barrel is typically 1:9! And, their bullets are much faster than any airgun! Is there anyone out there making a dedicated 177 slugger?

YTeah slug barrels, not least hasvy slugs ( 20 - 29 grain ) need something else than what we get.

Alpha precision do make a 1:16.9 barrel. https://alfa-precision.net/airgun?t...on:1018708[419175059]=430mm+(1:16,9)&tfc_div=:::

And they do not ask a whole lot for it.

It seem like they can also do even faster TR barrels in .177, but not in stock, i would not mind trying a 1:15 if only i had access to a GD lathe, CUZ i am NOT paying a gun smith here to do it CUZ then i might as well buy a whole rifle instead.

Reactions: Airgun-hobbyist
This is because 177 has reached and is now exceeding reasonable physical limits with projectile weights.

And this is why larger calibers exist for pushing heavier projectiles.

I'll never understand why the 177 shooters insist on trying to shove 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb sack. You want to shoot 20-30 grains effectively? Time for 22 or even 25.

Yeah 29 grains in this small form factor is rather massive.

And trust me if i had a alternative i would go there in a heartbeat, but i am the victim of others that will call themself my masters, and know what is better for me.
And they say you can have .177, or you can have 22 or even larger, but you will have to jump thru at least a few unreasonable hoops to get there.
I am OK with having to register your larger air rifle, also having to keep it safely locked up when not in use.
But i find it silly / stupid that i will have to learn by heart hunting seasons for various prey and show i can shoot a ( clay ) pigeon,,,, with a shotgun, to be able to enjoy my airgun hobby.

This is because 177 has reached and is now exceeding reasonable physical limits with projectile weights.

I'll never understand why the 177 shooters insist on trying to shove 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb sack. You want to shoot 20-30 grains effectively? Time for 22 or even 25.
I believe this is antiquated thinking. Modern pcp’s have enough power to push slugs in this range. Heck, I have an avenger in 177 and it has enough power to drive any 177 ammo. They even put a lighter spring in the 177 than they do the 22 and 25, so there is more power on the table. The sad thing about the Avenger is that the barrel is design for ammo in the 10gr range, so all that power goes unused.

Lother Walther has .177 barrels of all sorts, this page is for .177 rifled no choke, recommended for slugs.
https://www.lothar-walther.com/gun-barrel-blanks/airgun-barrels/?p=1
there are more if you go to filter, they have polygon and choked barrels to select from, these are Barrel Blanks, so they need to be machined to fit your gun.
and the prices are fair for an Exceptionally accurate barrel

Reactions: Treefrog
YTeah slug barrels, not least hasvy slugs ( 20 - 29 grain ) need something else than what we get.

Alpha precision do make a 1:16.9 barrel. https://alfa-precision.net/airgun?t...on:1018708[419175059]=430mm+(1:16,9)&tfc_div=:::

And they do not ask a whole lot for it.

It seem like they can also do even faster TR barrels in .177, but not in stock, i would not mind trying a 1:15 if only i had access to a GD lathe, CUZ i am NOT paying a gun smith here to do it CUZ then i might as well buy a whole rifle instead.
They also make a 1:14.6 twist

I’m in total agreement - I don’t need or want a sledgehammer to punch paper or harvest small critters. But I do want the right tools for the job. Not naysaying but just not my thing…

Reactions: 357cal
Yeah 29 grains in this small form factor is rather massive.

And trust me if i had a alternative i would go there in a heartbeat, but i am the victim of others that will call themself my masters, and know what is better for me.
And they say you can have .177, or you can have 22 or even larger, but you will have to jump thru at least a few unreasonable hoops to get there.
I am OK with having to register your larger air rifle, also having to keep it safely locked up when not in use.
But i find it silly / stupid that i will have to learn by heart hunting seasons for various prey and show i can shoot a ( clay ) pigeon,,,, with a shotgun, to be able to enjoy my airgun hobby.
thats the problem, you give them an inch they take a mile

Reactions: Peashooter
It do indeed.
My maverick also shoot 13 grain slugs well, heavier not so much, but my home town fellow Viking airgunner have luck with 16 grain in his FX rifles.
I had to move to the Epic Airguns Two to have luck with 16 grain, it can also shoot 20 grain but i have to shoot them at significant lower speeds, and so i feel it is useless.

I am also covered so to say, CUZ my range only go as far as 123 meters or 130 something yards.
BUT ! i would like to have the option maybe not to shoot further very much but more to hit harder, even if i am not going hunting anything.
Main thing though is to get something heavier that i hope will deal with the ever present wind in Denmark, not least as going to the range is a 40 minute drive on gasoline at prices that would for sure start a #2 American civil war.

I feel my dreams / wants are valid, or at least not at the expense of anyone else, my all overshadowing problem is, someone else have so little faith in me as a stand up subject, that i can not have anything but .177 reasonably easy.
I just hope ( i know it is invane ) that these people know that that level of no confidence go both ways, so absolutely no respect from me to them.

And i really want to be around people i can respect, and who hopefully can respect me, if not for what i say, then for what i do.

Last edited: