Air Arms The three second rule

It has been said that your first site is your best siting. I started pulling the trigger on my HW 97 within three seconds to see what happens. Good or bad I was going to pull the trigger. Three seconds. Strange as it may seem I am getting way better groups. No brain fade. No Trigger mortis. Even made it more fun.

It has been said that your first site is your best siting. I started pulling the trigger on my HW 97 within three seconds to see what happens. Good or bad I was going to pull the trigger. Three seconds. Strange as it may seem I am getting way better groups. No brain fade. No Trigger mortis. Even made it more fun.
Pistol or rifle,longer u hold it, worse it gets
kent

When I used to shoot 10m standing my coach had us limit our shot process to 8 seconds once on target. We learned that eye sight is the first sense that fades when limiting breathing during the process. I was watching a video for smallbore silhouette and one the top shooters mentioned being active on the trigger during their aiming process helps.

I take way too long to make shots. Ive missed many hunting opportunities because of it. Target shooting I sometimes break position because I took to long and ran out of breath or my eyes got blurry. I'm going to try the three second rule. I wonder if there's a timer that could be used for this.?

Even if your groups weren't better being able to shoot quickly is a skill worth pursuing in itself.

I don't put a time limit on an offhand shot. And I certainly don't try to shoot the first time the bead comes across the dot. But the quicker you can get a swing that you can time a shot with the better. Steady predictable swings turn into choppy muscle spasms after a while and it's best to just let down and start again.

It takes me about two seconds to check in with the back sight and begin a pass toward the dot. I take my time up front and dont rush the sight picture. Then I'm focused on the first pass that brings me across the target. I like to shoot driving the gun upward from left to right but I'm learning to time a coasting shot a lot better. Anything more than 2-3 seconds trying to get a good pass on the dot and I may as well let down and start again.

So I figure my average offhand shot is about 4-5 seconds in duration.

Last edited:
5 heart beats. That's all I'll hold on for. If it's game, I'll hold again once I get some stillness.

Targets I'll hold on for 4-5 heart beats and squeeze right after the pump hits.
A long hold never gets better. I’ve been shooting hi power & flintlocks 50 yrs. Flintlocks offhand for 30+ yrs. Which has taught me the most. then there is NPA, natural point of aim. If this IS NOT UNDERSTOOD & practiced , shooting will remain mediocre at best. Most don’t / haven’t heard of this essential practice when shooting rifle or pistol. Not enough space to explain it here, do some reading on NPA. And shooting both eyes open. Of course stance etc.
KENT

We do this drill often – rifle slung over the shoulder, targets ranging from 20 to 50 yards, and only 5 seconds to take the shot once called. It's a tough exercise, no time for parallax or dialing your turret, but brilliant for honing your skills.

I was at a practical pistol shoot with a buddy. About 20 competitors. Lots of creative shooting situations.

One was a Porta Potty. Pistol holstered, pants down with both hands in a bucket of water inside the outhouse with the door closed. The bell rang and you had to exit the outhouse and shoot 3 bowling pins at 15 yards and a bowling ball rolling across an angle iron at 20. The gun had to be powerful enough to knock the bowling ball off the rail.

Several guys could stand there with their pants down, water dripping off their elbows and hit targets as fast as they could pull the trigger. Ice cold shooting skills right there.

It didn't take three seconds for most of them to get off four shots. It took me ten seconds to get my bootheel out of my suspenders and get out of the outhouse. I spent the next ten seconds standing there with my pants down emptying a 12 shot magazine into the dirt.

Stress added to your practice routine makes a big difference. It takes being able to hit the target to a whole new level.

A time limit on a shot is an OK drill. But shooting with your pants down takes it up to another level.

Last edited:
I was at a practical pistol shoot with a buddy. About 20 competitors. Lots of creative shooting situations.

One was a Porta Potty. Pistol holstered, pants down with both hands in a bucket of water inside the outhouse with the door closed. The bell rang and you had to exit the outhouse and shoot 3 bowling pins at 15 yards and a bowling ball rolling across an angle iron at 20. The gun had to be powerful enough to knock the bowling ball off the rail.

Several guys could stand there with their pants down, water dripping off their elbows and hit targets as fast as they could pull the trigger. Ice cold shooting skills right there.

It didn't take three seconds for most of them to get off four shots. It took me ten seconds to get my bootheel out of my suspenders and get out of the outhouse. I spent the next ten seconds standing there with my pants down emptying a 12 shot magazine into the dirt.

Stress added to your practice routine makes a big difference. It takes being able to hit the target to a whole new level.

A time limit on a shot is an OK drill. But shooting with your pants down takes it up to another level.

Pics of all y’all with your pants down or it didn’t happen… :ROFLMAO:

Blimey, that sounds like a right laugh! Nothing like a bit of pressure with your trousers round your ankles and water dripping off your elbows to sharpen the aim! Ice in their veins, those lads.

Learned to shoot in the army, and when I’d stroll out from the cosy warmth of the canteen, I was one of the top shots in my class. But the moment we got into proper war simulations, I couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn! Stress really does turn everything on its head.

Reactions: Bedrock Bob
Pics of all y’all with your pants down or it didn’t happen… :ROFLMAO:

That's the problem. The shooter was the only one with their pants down and he's got a gun. So no photos were taken. ....I don't think.

The guy that won that round was a local hotshot. He helped design the props for the shoot so he knew what was up. He went first. He wore a spandex bikini bottom with a codpiece under it. A tee shirt under a shoulder holster. He wore short pants so he just stepped out of them.

He was a big hefty hairy guy. You couldn't unsee the spectacle. Afterwards you felt like you needed a shower. Nobody can shoot after seeing that.

He made everyone else nervous but it didn't bother him a bit. He handled the stress well and deflected it right back. It was a superb demonstration of handling a gun under stress. And that was what the shoot was all about.

Last edited:
Blimey, that sounds like a right laugh! Nothing like a bit of pressure with your trousers round your ankles and water dripping off your elbows to sharpen the aim! Ice in their veins, those lads.

Learned to shoot in the army, and when I’d stroll out from the cosy warmth of the canteen, I was one of the top shots in my class. But the moment we got into proper war simulations, I couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn! Stress really does turn everything on its head.

It's crazy how emotion and input affects your shooting.

I cross my eyes on the front post when aiming. Fully crossed. It blocks out everything except the sights and the target. Your brain simply gives up processing input when it cancels out your weak eye.

It blocks out outside input and overrides stress. It's very useful technique. It temporarily short circuits your brain and gives you complete focus on the shot. I started a thread about it a couple months back. I don't know how to link it. I think it was "shooting crosseyed" in the title.

My shooting buddy is an intolerable tit. He could make a fence post mad with the constant bull$hit he says. I practice every day with that obnoxious windbag. I've developed highly refined coping techniques to deal with him. One of them is shooting crosseyed.

It does help me get on target and shoot faster. It seems to slow things down and help you time the trigger. And it blocks out all frustrations, noise, and other ignorant tomfrickery that's going on around you.

When it comes to shooting fast or under stress you have to practice under stress. You can induce stress into your routine with time limits. You can shoot with your pants down. Or shoot with a guy that just pisses you off in the marrow of your bones. It all teaches you to block out the static and get to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul Be Careful