Air Arms The three second rule

It's crazy how emotion and input affects your shooting.

I cross my eyes on the front post when aiming. Fully crossed. It blocks out everything except the sights and the target. Your brain simply gives up processing input when it cancels out your weak eye.

It blocks out outside input and overrides stress. It's very useful technique. It temporarily short circuits your brain and gives you complete focus on the shot. I started a thread about it a couple months back. I don't know how to link it. I think it was "shooting crosseyed" in the title.

My shooting buddy is an intolerable tit. He could make a fence post mad with the constant bull$hit he says. I practice every day with that obnoxious windbag. I've developed highly refined coping techniques to deal with him. One of them is shooting crosseyed.

It does help me get on target and shoot faster. It seems to slow things down and help you time the trigger. And it blocks out all frustrations, noise, and other ignorant tomfrickery that's going on around you.

When it comes to shooting fast or under stress you have to practice under stress. You can induce stress into your routine with time limits. You can shoot with your pants down. Or shoot with a guy that just pisses you off in the marrow of your bones. It all teaches you to block out the static and get to work.
With or without prescription glasses/ contacts only the front sight should be in focus, the rear sight & target will both be blurry. Your brain will align the back sight. You can’t focus on all three, both eyes open , front sight , trigger, bang. This is the reason the better 10m pistols have a dry fire function.
kent

Reactions: fishing43
I was at a practical pistol shoot with a buddy. About 20 competitors. Lots of creative shooting situations.

One was a Porta Potty. Pistol holstered, pants down with both hands in a bucket of water inside the outhouse with the door closed. The bell rang and you had to exit the outhouse and shoot 3 bowling pins at 15 yards and a bowling ball rolling across an angle iron at 20. The gun had to be powerful enough to knock the bowling ball off the rail.

Several guys could stand there with their pants down, water dripping off their elbows and hit targets as fast as they could pull the trigger. Ice cold shooting skills right there.

It didn't take three seconds for most of them to get off four shots. It took me ten seconds to get my bootheel out of my suspenders and get out of the outhouse. I spent the next ten seconds standing there with my pants down emptying a 12 shot magazine into the dirt.

Stress added to your practice routine makes a big difference. It takes being able to hit the target to a whole new level.

A time limit on a shot is an OK drill. But shooting with your pants down takes it up to another level.
Thanks for that mental mage, I’ll probably have nightmares tonight.😱

Rick H.

With or without prescription glasses/ contacts only the front sight should be in focus, the rear sight & target will both be blurry. Your brain will align the back sight. You can’t focus on all three, both eyes open , front sight , trigger, bang. This is the reason the better 10m pistols have a dry fire function.
kent

I guess I wasn't aware of that.

I will start doing it correctly from this day forward.

Start exhaling when the cross hairs are on target. Shoot at the bottom of your exhale or start over.

I start inhaling at the beginning of each breath. Then as my lungs get full I begin to exhale. When there is no more air to push out I begin another inhale.

It's a habit I have developed over years of breathing. I'm afraid it's too late to stop.

Seriously I don't pay much attention to breath control shooting offhand. I draw a breath as I mount the rifle, stall on the breath and keep my airway open and shoot.

From a rested position I hold my breath with apnea. Settle on the dot and squeeze.

I do try not to fart loudly during a trigger pull. It throws the shot high and right. I never hold one though. I'll either fart before I mount the rifle or slowly pass gas as I come across the dot from left to right keeping my sphincter as relaxed as possible while slowly tightening my lower abdomen as I put pressure on the second stage.

I start inhaling at the beginning of each breath. Then as my lungs get full I begin to exhale. When there is no more air to push out I begin another inhale.

It's a habit I have developed over years of breathing. I'm afraid it's too late to stop.

Seriously I don't pay much attention to breath control shooting offhand. I draw a breath as I mount the rifle, stall on the breath and keep my airway open and shoot.

From a rested position I hold my breath with apnea. Settle on the dot and squeeze.

I do try not to fart loudly during a trigger pull. It throws the shot high and right. I never hold one though. I'll either fart before I mount the rifle or slowly pass gas as I come across the dot from left to right keeping my sphincter as relaxed as possible while slowly tightening my lower abdomen as I put pressure on the second stage.
And that, gentlemen, is post of the year!

I suspect that high and right shot placement probably has to do with your stance. If you raise your left butt cheek a little and crouch slightly that should help compensate and keep your shots right on target without any delays while you wait for things to pass.

Reactions: Bedrock Bob
I suspect that high and right shot placement probably has to do with your stance. If you raise your left butt cheek a little and crouch slightly that should help compensate and keep your shots right on target without any delays while you wait for things to pass.

You are correct about the stance. I'm left farted though. I raise my right leg a little.

For years I practiced farting names and famous quips. I could fart the first line of The Bill of Rights and pronounce several words in Spanish as well. I was considered a skilled fartiste and planned to make it a career.

After my hemorrhoid removal I became a hairlip. I can still slur an obscenity once in a while but the articulation just isn't there.

Since the surgery ive developed a twist of about 9:12 and will stabilize a 185 gr. projectile. It shoots to the right about 4" at 2 feet but I can land them pretty close without hitting my heels. Farting seems to be difficult with this new choke design unless I take pressure off the right leg.

My speech therapist tells me I could learn to speak again with enough practice. I'm improving daily and can do my vowel sounds and "S's" as long as my right foot is elevated.