The Weihrauch Diopter

Question for you knowledgeable folks:

What's the diameter of the stop pin holes on current vintage Weihrauch's?
The Weihrauch stop pin holes are .242, old and new.
The Weihrauch thumb screw on their diopter sights has a tapered end that engages the stop pin hole. The end of the thumb screw tapers from .200 to .242

The Anschutz 6706 sight has a thumb screw stop pin similar to the Weihrauch sight. The Anschutz screw is not knurled on the perimeter, and has a coin slot in the top to facilitate tightening.
The stop pin holes in the Anschutz rifles are .260, and the stop pin is .232. The anschutz stop pin is not tapered like the Weihrauch.

The two sights compared
1000000947.jpg

Comparison of thumb screws
1000000944.jpg

1000000945.jpg

The Weihrauch screws tapered end compared to the Anschutz
1000000943.jpg

1000000946.jpg

The Anschutz sight will work on a Weihrauch rifle, and vice versa, but the screws are not interchangeable between the two sights. They are threaded differently.

Last edited:
The problem with mounting a diopter is that it usually hangs off of the back of the receiver, and that precludes the use of an arrestor block to prevent movement.
The Anschutz 300 series rifles, the 35 also I believe, and the Crosman branded Challenger series of rifles have stop pin holes for an arrestor pin in the 6706 diopter.
Barring that option, Anschutz also manufactured a drop in arrestor block that fits into, and locks in place using the arrestor pin holes, and allows for movememt free scope mounting. It may also be usable for a Williams type of peep sight depending on if you can live with it being mounted a little further forward on the dovetail.
1000000949.jpg

1000000951.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bandito
This is the sight base I have.

View attachment 487034

My plan is to tap that hole in the base for an M8 thread (it’s approx. 7mm). I just need to find a machine shop willing to make me a headless pin from a M8 grub screw.
...you need to torque down the compression screws more; it WILL not slide on the dovetail. The Weihrauch diopter wallows out the arrestor holes if the compression screw is not tight enough and the sight slides on the dovetail, and also, if you torque the arrestor hole screw too much it "lifts" the diopter off the dovetail???
That's a very nice early 6702; Neal Stepp can sell you a new plastic lens thingie.

Last edited:
I've never had an issue with Anschutz sights moving on a Weihrauch, but I've mostly used them on the lower-powered vintage HW 30/50/55, etc.

The only suggestion I can make is that those little square notches in the rim of the tightening knobs are made to fit the tool that comes new with many diopter sights, which will crank the knobs down much tighter than you can by hand. An FWB tool fits well in addition to an Anschutz one, or you could use a stout metal strip, wide screwdriver blade, etc., of similar thickness (but as with any gun screw...be sure it fits close to avoid dinging the notches).

Sight tools pic and notes here:

Last edited:
Question for you knowledgeable folks:

What's the diameter of the stop pin holes on current vintage Weihrauch's?
Just eyeballing one with a cheap caliper: 6.5 mm, or a hair over 1/4".

B-o-G isn't kidding about the tight fit! It's best to remove the thumbwheel entirely when mounting the sight, then sight down through the hole in the sight body to precisely align it with the receiver, before putting it back. If things are off it will ding the edge of the hole on the gun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling