Thermal Optics: Any Footage from Pesting?

CCD79CF0-17EC-4447-A73C-006CD2B2D508.jpeg

Red fox with pulsar xp50 hand held

I appreciate the posts.

🔺️ And I probably need to specify:
I would like to see how a pesting shot video looks like — in thermo color — on small pests: rats, pigeons, squirrels, chippers.

Considering the prices of the better units, Ricochet's enabling could almost be classified as malicious.
But... — who will throw the first stone? Anyone?!

Keep'em coming.

Matthias

Reactions: Ricochet
Stuart, thank you for the vid. That's a good start to give me an idea of the image capability. 👍🏼

Matthias
Matthias, if you look through one, you will have one. (Don't ask how I know, it's worse than the PCP addiction). I suggest if you are going to get one, look through several if possible. Mine is almost 10 years old and they have advanced lots. I bought an Armasight Zeus with a 75mm objective lens and 640 pixels. The higher the pixel count the better the image quality. I don't know how high the pixel count is on the newer models. Infrared isn't even in the same league. I've seen video of rats hiding inside PVC pipe on the ground and it picked up their body heat.

Reactions: N2 Shooter
I suggest if you are going to get one, look through several if possible.

OK, that's good advice.
The question is how to accomplish that.... 🤔
The country where I'm currently working and shooting is a small Third-World country. And those places are well known to have many people owning highly specialized adult toys with 4-digit sticker prices....! 🤣

Still, I should probably hit a dealer on my return to the US or Germany. 👍🏼

Matthias, if you look through one, you will have one. (Don't ask how I know, it's worse than the PCP addiction).

OK.
Duly noted.
I have been warned.

Ken, you've taken away my only excuse that would allow me to say when the bank reposesses my belongings:
"I had no idea that thermo would be such a steep and slippery financial slide...!" 🤣

Matthias

Matthias, I made the mistake of looking through one at a gun show about 10 years ago at a gun show. It was a lower end brand and 320 pixels, it was over $3,600 I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. I started watching YT vidoe's. There weren't any "places" to visit to compare them, and I live near Tampa Florida. They were pretty much only handled by on-line retailers at the time. The Armasight Zeus that I finally bought was over 7K. I had a permission that I could hunt hogs on at the time. Less than a year later, the owner sold the property. I think I harvested 6 hogs. Hopefully one day, I'll get to use it again. I've been tempted to put it on my airguns for pesting, but haven't yet. LOL

Start watching YT vidoes and comparing images, quality, prices, features. Probably your best bet if there aren't any shops that carry them. Yeah, they work in the day-time too. People don't realize it, so you could look through one if you can find them in a shop. LOL

...The country where I'm currently working and shooting is a small Third-World country. And those places are well known to have many people owning highly specialized adult toys with 4-digit sticker prices....! 🤣
This may be a hurdle for you. The scope I bought from ATN, has an ITAR Export restriction on it. If you contact ATN directly and let them know which country you are in, they can assist you with available purchasing options.

The ITAR export thingy is not a problem. There are procedures in place for that, all good.

The problem is the difficult decision to either sell a kidney or a liver.
Ken, good grief — Seven Kay — you must have gone through a lot of grief yourself... — kidney or liver? — one or two months in the dog house? — how much did you spend on the new residential security system to keep your 7K thermal safe from burglers?

7K: O my goodness....
Public service announcement:
In the State of California the AGN forum has been known to be detrimental to consumer's financial health....

Matthias 😉

I am seriously looking at the OneLeaf Commander NV 100 scope attachment for night time pesting of rats, opossums, and raccoons. IR night vision has come a long way, since I bought an ATN many years ago. It was junk at that time and I sent it back for a refund. I will never buy an ATN product again, due to how I was treated by the regional sales manager at that time. I had to finally threaten to involve the States Attorney General and a Class Action suit to get a refund that they promised would be given no questions asked.

The image quality of the ATN LT 320p Thermal Scope series is pretty good.
The price is around $1.4K... on sale, i have seen them under $800....
Take a look at them on the ATN site:

The image quality of the ATN LT 320p Thermal Scope series is pretty good.
The price is around $1.4K... on sale, i have seen them under $800....
Take a look at them on the ATN site:
I would go Bering optics way before atn. But that is just person preference. when several dealers won’t carry atn it kinda lets you know something.