Thermal Optics: Any Footage from Pesting?

I would go Bering optics way before atn. But that is just person preference. when several dealers won’t carry atn it kinda lets you know something.
Yes, I bought an ATN X-Sight when they first came out. They were a beta model and not ready for the market. Every week there were downloads sent out. They kept promising that they were going to have all the "bugs" fixed on the next download. Less than half of the supposed feature worked and poorly at best. I had a 200# boar hog walk by at less than 30yds and with an excellent aftermarket illuminator I could barely make it out. ATN promised to refund people's money who weren't satisfied if they were within their return policy limit. I finally got tired of the promises and asked for a refund. It went on for months with ATN, the regional sales manager at that time, etc. I finally threatened to involve the States Attorney's office and a class action lawsuit. They finally issued me an RMA and a refund when they received the scope back.

I swore I would never buy another ATN product!

Yes, I bought an ATN X-Sight when they first came out. They were a beta model and not ready for the market. Every week there were downloads sent out. They kept promising that they were going to have all the "bugs" fixed on the next download. Less than half of the supposed feature worked and poorly at best. I had a 200# boar hog walk by at less than 30yds and with an excellent aftermarket illuminator I could barely make it out. ATN promised to refund people's money who weren't satisfied if they were within their return policy limit. I finally got tired of the promises and asked for a refund. It went on for months with ATN, the regional sales manager at that time, etc. I finally threatened to involve the States Attorney's office and a class action lawsuit. They finally issued me an RMA and a refund when they received the scope back.

I swore I would never buy another ATN product!
Your situation sounds like mine with them. My superhogster was rock solid, I just sold it to a buddy. Now I’m looking for a new one.

Reactions: customcutter
I finally decided to pull out my Armasight Zeus 3-24X75mm Germanium lens. I walked around the corner of the house and spotted a hot spot, where some rats had been coming in and out of the shed going to the bait station. My eyes are fatigued from being on the computer all day trying to find a OneLeaf Commander 100. I'm trying to focus the reticle, and the parallax and everything is blurry no matter which direction I'm turning the knobs. LOL I'm watching the hot spot for several minutes and finally it moves and runs over to the bait station. I saw a rat or rats 6 times over the next 2-3 minutes. As soon as one jumped down and grabbed a mouthful and ran back to the shed, within 5-10 seconds another did the same thing.

Unfortunately the last time I used it I clamped the cable for the mini-DVR under the QD mount and severed the cable. I repaired the cable but haven't been able to get it to record since. Don't know if it damaged the output from the scope or the DVR.

I'll be mounting the AZ on the Prophet 2 tomorrow when it arrives. LOL Look out rats!

Reactions: JungleShooter
Ironically, I just posted this.

I've been using thermal for quite a few years.
Flir, Pulsar, Sector Optics, and ATN.

Of them all, my pulsar is my go-to thermal.
Mainly because it records both video and audio.
My Flir PTS536 thermal scope, it had great picture and palette choices. No sound for video recording.
Sector Optics, T3 is mainly used for my pistols. The entire unit is smaller than a Eotech XPS 2. So, it's used as more of a red dot. But it's thermal.
ATN... I had to go through 4, yes 4 ATN Thor units before I could get one that functioned as it should. Perhaps it was a faulty batch that slipped through quality control. I sold it shortly after I got one that worked and haven't looked back since. 😊

Lots of choices out there. You do get what you pay for.

For pesting, I recommend the lowest possible magnification with around the 50mhz range.

I'm short on time at the moment. I'll be back with info based off the experiences I've learned over the thousands of dollars tossed into the rabbit hole known as thermal optics. 😊

K9

Thank you, Ed, for those wonderful videos.

I can see that I would need a higher magnification thermal optic. 1x and 2x isn't going to cut it for me.

As I realize the price of the equipment that would fulfill my expectations — I begin to contemplate just how bad it might be sleeping in the dog house — for a month.... 🤔

Matthias 😉

PS: I have a great wife!!

Reactions: beerthief
As I realize the price of the equipment that would fulfill my expectations — I begin to contemplate just how bad it might be sleeping in the dog house — for a month.... 🤔

My wife and I have independent bank accounts. So while a $8k scope was a scary purchase, I'm the only one that knows.

My wife and I have independent bank accounts. So while a $8k scope was a scary purchase, I'm the only one that knows.
The same over here!

I just bought an AGM Taipan Thermal Monocle, and I have adapted the 2/5/10 rule.
  • If it's $500 or less, cut the price in half: $500 = $250 in wifey dollars.
  • If it's between $500 and $1500, cut the price by 4/5: $1500 = $300 in wifey dollars.
  • if it's over $1500, cut the price by 90%: $3500 = $350 in wifey dollars.

Thank you, Ed, for those wonderful videos.

I can see that I would need a higher magnification thermal optic. 1x and 2x isn't going to cut it for me.

Matthias 😉

PS: I have a great wife!!
Get the ATN 1.0-10 or 1.5-15 640 and you do fantastic. I'm going to sell my 1.25-5x soon for $1400 and buy a refurbished 1.5-15x

The same over here!

I just bought an AGM Taipan Thermal Monocle, and I have adapted the 2/5/10 rule.
  • If it's $500 or less, cut the price in half: $500 = $250 in wifey dollars.
  • If it's between $500 and $1500, cut the price by 4/5: $1500 = $300 in wifey dollars.
  • if it's over $1500, cut the price by 90%: $3500 = $350 in wifey dollars.

Interestingly, my wife doesn't notice details of things she's not interested in. So she has no idea how many guns I have, what accessories they have, or how much they might cost. Keeps everyone happier.

O my goodness, I know it's decades ago, but I do remember my parents warning me of falling in with "the wrong crowd".

Wonder if they ever imagined a virtual crowd... — like the one I meet on AGN, or in this thread (8k scope?!?), the untiring enablers, the ones with the 2/5/10 rule, the body part heat signature filmers,..... 🤣

This is just too funny, guys!! You make me laugh so hard, I almost woke up my family...! 🤣

ATN 1.5-15 640 you say? Specs sound good. ✔
Im gonna hold off on checking the price and will just go to sleep and dream of that thermal. 😇
Tomorrow it's not too late to burn the dream to fine ashes....

Matthias

Wonder if they ever imagined a virtual crowd... — like the one I meet on AGN, or in this thread (8k scope?!?), the untiring enablers, the ones with the 2/5/10 rule, the body part heat signature filmers,..... 🤣

Matthias
I can still say my most expensive possession (not including my house) is my motorcycle. There are a couple firearm related items that come before my car, though.

• Haha
The image quality of the ATN LT 320p Thermal Scope series is pretty good.
The price is around $1.4K... on sale, i have seen them under $800....
Take a look at them on the ATN site:
I got a 5-10 thor atn lt 320 and can make out deer over 500 yards away

O my goodness, I know it's decades ago, but I do remember my parents warning me of falling in with "the wrong crowd".

This is just too funny, guys!! You make me laugh so hard, I almost woke up my family...! 🤣

ATN 1.5-15 640 you say? Specs sound good. ✔
Im gonna hold off on checking the price and will just go to sleep and dream of that thermal. 😇
Tomorrow it's not too late to burn the dream to fine ashes....

Matthias
I'm gonna get the refurb unit. It cost $2700 I think. If I sell my 1.25-5x for $1300-1400, I just have to match that price, so it's not too bad. I bought my THoR brand new, but I bought my X-Sight 4K Pro refurbished, and it was practically brand new.

I'm gonna get the refurb unit. It cost $2700 I think. If I sell my 1.25-5x for $1300-1400, I just have to match that price, so it's not too bad. I bought my THoR brand new, but I bought my X-Sight 4K Pro refurbished, and it was practically brand new.
You get the same 3 year warranty I bought mine refurbished too save a good chunk that way

That refurbished buying sounds like a good plan. 👍🏼

Do they have any times during the year when they have those refurbs on sale?

Matthias
Not really. Refurb prices stay mostly the same. Haven't changed in the two years since I bought mine.