Thoughts on the Skout Release Trigger

I guess these changes have been available for a month, but i just discovered that Skout updated their software for the Epoch/Evo
the Release Trigger is now an option available in the "Fire Mode" when you go into the rifle's Firmware programming...after you download the programming
Screenshot 2024-09-17 055048.png

I have never used a trigger system like this.
I have read a little about it and not certain of the pros/cons of using this system.
Can anyone please share their experience and thoughts on using a Release Trigger System
Thanks
Mike

Reactions: MACTEN and Rizz01
I guess these changes have been available for a month, but i just discovered that Skout updated their software for the Epoch/Evo
the Release Trigger is now an option available in the "Fire Mode" when you go into the rifle's Firmware programming...after you download the programming
View attachment 496767
I have read a little about it and not certain of the pros/cons of using this system.
Can anyone please share their experience and thoughts on using a Release Trigger System
Thanks
Mike

I find myself wondering if a release trigger has a first and second stage so you can sense the point where it triggers as you release.

I find myself wondering if a release trigger has a first and second stage so you can sense the point where it triggers as you release.
I didn't feel any stages when releasing
I am use to a light squeeze of the trigger,,,knowing where the break point is.
with the release..i am just not used to where the break point is

Reactions: Ranchibi
If you’re battling target panic it would definitely be worth a try. I’ve been an on again off again member of the target panic society over the last 40 years. Guns and bows. It’s not a glaring issue in my case. For some it’s a real hindrance.
Very interesting
i do have that problem when i free hand, the weight on my Epoch is a bit much, but i will try that out
Thanks for that reply

I'm familiar with release triggers that are used in some clay target sports. They are to prevent flinching. IMO, they are dangerous and should not be allowed. Adapting to recoil is part of basic marksmanship and trigger control. I've never seen one used in anything other than shotguns. The folks who use them generally have a warning label on the gun to avoid an accident.

I'm familiar with release triggers that are used in some clay target sports. They are to prevent flinching. IMO, they are dangerous and should not be allowed. Adapting to recoil is part of basic marksmanship and trigger control. I've never seen one used in anything other than shotguns. The folks who use them generally have a warning label on the gun to avoid an accident.
on the Epoch/Evo, if you have pulled the trigger and decide not to take a shot, you can press the safety in front of the trigger. When the light is off, it is safe to release the trigger.
the safety will stay active for as long as your "fire timer" is set

been playing with it a bit more...just seems to me like i am doing an extra step to take the shot.

Accident just waiting for a time & place to happen ... IMO
Agree. I bought a release for archery that was the same concept. Don’t confuse it with a back tension release. After a couple wild arrows over the course of a week, it went into the garbage. I would only use it on a gun if it was locked in on a bench.

After playing with it for the day, i switched back to normal firing.
Just not used to that type of trigger.
I was squeezing harder than normal, and the tension release affected my aim.
I agree with Scotty1 on the trigger pull being so light that this type of trigger is not needed.
i feel i am doing a double tap everytime and rather have a 2 stage trigger than a 1 stage release.
Thanks for all the input
Mike

View attachment 496767
Thanks
Mike
Are there instructions somewhere on how to update? I downloaded the epoch usb interface and can't get it to talk to the rifle.

After playing with it for the day, i switched back to normal firing.
Just not used to that type of trigger.
I was squeezing harder than normal, and the tension release affected my aim.
I agree with Scotty1 on the trigger pull being so light that this type of trigger is not needed.
i feel i am doing a double tap everytime and rather have a 2 stage trigger than a 1 stage release.
Thanks for all the input
Mike
I downloaded the software update to my Epoch. Tried the release trigger setting for a short while. Didn't like it. Went back to normal.

I’m a trapshooter and that is the venue where release triggers are used the most. It’s very effective at negating the flinch. Some trapshooters and skeet shooters develop a flinch from recoil and a release trigger seems to allow normal shooting without the flinch.
Until they develop a flinch with the release trigger. It’s inevitable. It’s just how some of us are built. Then they will switch back to conventional until their flinch returns. But at least there are options. And money to be spent.

Another role of a release trigger on a shotgun is to allow people who have shot a whole lot to still shoot. Some shooters get to the point that when they tell their trigger finger to pull the trigger it will not. This would normally take tens of thousands of rounds. 12 gauge recoil is not trivial (as all my airguns are). My first paying job was at a trap and skeet range and some of the most active shooters had release triggers. I saw no issues. But they are a highly specialized device best left for the people who really need them IMHO. I never saw them used for flinching. That seems more like somebody wanting to pretend they shoot more than they really do. I don't see a need on an air rifle. I doubt there are very active trap or skeet shooters also shooting air rifles.