To buy a springer or not to buy a springer?

Since my ratter recently died, raccoons and rodents returned to my wooden suburb home. I catch a minimum of one rat each night with a trap if I set them.
My preferred method of dispatch is my Sig MPX HPA. 177, however my compressor has been temporarily down now for a month.
This got me looking at fixed barrel springers. Should I have a springer for rats when air supply is not available?
I love that it's a one shot too because that's most likely what would be required each night. I like that they are heavy in weight and hard to cock, because even though I have all my guns locked up all the time when I'm not using them, I do have little ones, including a toddler.
A quiet .177 springer is such a better choice for nightly ratting here.
I been looking at the Diana 56th in .177 and posted this to see others thoughts on the whole subject.
I really don't need a springer, when my compressor is working, and will be working soon, and I'm trying so hard to unclutter. But that Diana 56th looks so sweet and it's a better fit overall. But I really dont need it, do I?
Any help much appreciated.

Last edited:
I've had several springers including Diana's and the only one I have left since getting into PCP's in 2019 is my Weihrauch HW97K in 22 cal. I don't shoot it much, heck, I might even sell it at some point, but it's as accurate as my PCP's up to 40 yards.

20220817_122704.jpg

Got all of them,you want power;the RWS 48-52 have it,and can be found for less $$.That said I like the HW97 better,both are accurate and a little heavy.....for walk hunting the break barrel R-9 or HW95 is my favorite.
No ! you do not need a big heavy expensive springer to kill,you need to be a good shot and have enough power with you to do the job; the "thing" is you want a fixed barrel for whatever reason,that makes your choices cost more$$.
I would not get a 56, unless it is a F-100!

You really can't go wrong with any of the Air Arms, HW, or Diana offerings.

If you're looking for a Cadillac, heirloom, gun-pic springer, go with a TX200. Other ones will get the job done, but in a less classy and refined way :)

The Diana 56's are cool but they murder
You really can't go wrong with any of the Air Arms, HW, or Diana offerings.

If you're looking for a Cadillac, heirloom, gun-pic springer, go with a TX200. Other ones will get the job done, but in a less classy and refined way :)

The Diana 56's are cool but they murder scopes.
With it's accuracy I was hoping to work with iron sights on it. Is there iron sights available for it. Would I have to glue a front sight? It's at 20yards, maybe no sights at all?

Most of these suggesed guns are big, heavy and expensive. Quality guns, for sure, but aren't these a bit much for your suburban home? I don't know how close you are to neighbors, so only you can judge that. I great quality compact springer that would do the job on rats is a HW30 or Beeman R7 (Same gun). It's quiet and accurate. Not super powerful, but enough to do the job. The Diana 48/52/56 is a very heavy gun, hard to cock, and are scope killers.

I suggest fixing your compressor and not purchasing a springer. Springers are worse than PCP's. Once you start, it is hard to stop. I purchased an excellent fixed barrel HW77. Then a HW30 and a HW50. Now I have several more springers. They are like golf clubs. You NEED more than one springer once you purchase the first one. Cannot play golf with one club, cannot shoot one springer. When I go shooting I always take three or four or five and maybe six because they are so much fun to shoot.

I have several of the rifles mentioned and all would do the job. No one has mentioned the Diana 34/36 break barrel. Same gun, 36 has a fancier stock. It’s a hard hitting gun and my Model 34 in .177 is plenty accurate. Utah Airguns has the RWS Diana Model 34 in .22 right now for $180. Believe with free shipping. A steal at that price. Warranty work could be an issue due to mess with Umarex/Umarex USA/RWS etc. But, the guns are durable and tune kits are easy to find.

Edit: Just saw a nice looking Weihrauch HW50S .22 for sale in Classifieds. Excellent gun. If we didn’t have one already I’d probably jump on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: beerthief