• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

To PCP or Not PCP…. That is the question

Hello All :cool:

New here and wondering if my kids first “real” air gun should be a PCP or a Springer. Inherent advantages to both and of course the real possibility that I end up with what ever I buy for them in addition to what I chose for myself…. I’ve been leaning towards a tuned marauder from AR in .22 for then and for me ….. oh so many glorious choices …..

So many good offering in the pcp world for under 500 bucks ready to rock.

Depending on how big the kids are, you could get a cheap notos or even cheaper a diana stormrider. They're easy to shoot and smaller guns, easy to hand pump too.

Springers I'd suggest staying away from just about anything other than the top brands and just pay the extra for a good one. Cometa would be about as low as I would go. I would lean toward HWs for value vs cost.

Basically don't get gamo or crosman. I'd get a hatsan before those lol.

Depending on how big the kids are, you could get a cheap notos or even cheaper a diana stormrider. They're easy to shoot and smaller guns, easy to hand pump too.

Springers I'd suggest staying away from just about anything other than the top brands and just pay the extra for a good one. Cometa would be about as low as I would go. I would lean toward HWs for value vs cost.

The pcp still has the issue of the expense of buying equipment to fill. That’s the downside. I agree buy a good spring rifle. That means HW or AA. On the cheap a RWS 34. No exceptions to this when buying a quality spring rifle. The up side of a spring rifle is you just need the rifle and a tin of pellets. Is it easier to shoot a PCP? Sure it is. But it comes with its own drama. Just read the forums. I have plenty of both. In the end you will want both. My advice is to start with a spring rifle, a good one, nothing from Walmart.

The pcp still has the issue of the expense of buying equipment to fill. That’s the downside. I agree buy a good spring rifle. That means HW or AA. On the cheap a RWS 34. No exceptions to this when buying a quality spring rifle. The up side of a spring rifle is you just need the rifle and a tin of pellets. Is it easier to shoot a PCP? Sure it is. But it comes with its own drama. Just read the forums. I have plenty of both. In the end you will want both. My advice is to start with a spring rifle, a good one, nothing from Walmart.
China hand pumps are about 50 bucks, it'll get them going.

Reactions: MongooseV8
A Gamo Urban and a FourUncles hand pump will have you shooting tiny groups for several years. It takes a bit of pumping but you get about 30 solid shots per fill. And its great exercise but most people get fed up real quick and move to a compressor. The cheapest throw away compressor that is worth buying is the GX CS3 in my opinion and is about $350 shipped right now on Amazon.

I think it comes down to what you need from your setup. In my case the spring type rifles dont have enough energy or accuracy so I moved on to pcps almost right away. I have a Gamo Magnum piston and a Crossman Varmint something piston that I had some fun with for a while. If you just want to hit some soda cans at 30yds a $200 Gamo piston rifle is just fine.

I got a Notos and was planning a hand pump. In the days I was waiting for it to be delivered I was gifted a SCUBA tank so I bought the adapter from Amazon. It's only a 3000 PSI tank but I can still get between 18-21 shots before I see a loss in accuracy. Glad I went PCP, and so far I am pleased with the NOTOS. For me though, I had a specific need. I knew I was going to be shooting sparrows and my target was within 40 yards so I researched and learned this would do the trick. If I was planning to shoot hundreds of shots day after day I would get a different setup.

Welcome to AGN! To dip your toes into the PCP pool everyone seems to have good results with the Umarex Notos. Small cylinder so easy to hand pump. I recommend checking out the Crosman 3622. I have seen a couple of reviews that peaked my interest enough to purchase one from AR with a steel breech. Either or both will be easy to hand pump and easy on the wallet.

Compressors have really gotten affordable, especially the GX line. A small electric pump costs less than what I paid for my Hill hand pump!

Weihrauch springers are great but have a high entry cost. They are "buy once cry once" rifles. I would watch the classifieds or check out what Krale has listed. An HW95 is the perfect rifle. All day accurate shooter with an excellent trigger and great balance.

Which ever you pick, have fun!

Just a few comments.
1) The AR Challenger is one fantastic airgun, and I can't imagine you would ever be dissatisfied with it. They are a keeper for sure!
2) If it's for a "kid", then be aware of the weight compared to the size of the kid. AR Challengers weigh over 7#
3) If you feel the chance of you ending up with the gun, then it's a no brainer, go for it!

Love my Gamo springer. (149.00 rifle)
10 shot group. I pulled 1

IMG_1140.jpeg