• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

To PCP or Not PCP…. That is the question

I've had great luck with the older models from the 90's. Have several and would not hesitate go pick another up if in nice shape. Now, I have not had anything recent from Diana right before that switch to the EMS. Every EMS I tried has been a POS, I had to see if it was common or not ... 3 strikes out sort of deal. Disclaimer >> YMMV
yeah mine was older too 80S maybe.

Not all (but MOST) shooters that get into PCP do not go back. Other than some nostalgic revisiting. That’s telling in itself. Buy once, cry once. If you have a dive or paintball shop within driving distance a compressor will never be needed. Just need to invest once in a quality tank setup. Too easy.
Is there anything to back this up? It never even occurred to me to stop shooting springers or multipumps once I got a PCP. It's kind of like saying you won't go back to revolvers once you get an automatic.

Reactions: rcarlisle
I’ve been eyeing the AA TX200 in its various configurations. I can’t really see jumping in at a cheaper price point considering the value/cost curve (so to speak)… definitely a buy once cry once purchase.
It's a seriously nice rifle, but heavy and kind of fiddly to load. Its designed primarily for competition. I really like mine at 12 fpe. At 17 fpe it was too hold sensitive. At 12 it just shoots tiny groups with no fliers.

I was just looking at the 97k’s and wow, So good looking. Then I saw this:

Weihrauch HW97KT .22 Special Edition with Red Laminate​

and I think I see my next bucket list item but damn it’s almost too pretty to touch…. Almost.

View attachment 474539
I understand AOA can also tune them. If I was getting that HW97 I'd definitely want that.

Buy the .22 Marauder (as suggested in the original post) and a springer of the same value. Let the kids keep the one they like best. Any bets? ; )
I’d say it depends on how serious they are about shooting and what kind of shooting they like to do.

If they’re into hunting then PCP, no contest.

If they just like to plink a lot then springer.

If they’re only shooting occasionally and dad’s doing most of the charging and loading magazines for them then PCP.

Plinking with a really good springer on a nice day is really addictive. Particularly if you’ve got fruit trees with an over abundance of plums or pie cherries that no one’s ever going to eat or yellow jackets that you can bait in with some old meat. You can do the same thing with a PCP too, but charging the rifle every 50 shots or so and reloading magazines is more trouble than just single loading a springer until you get tired of it.

I’d say it depends on how serious they are about shooting and what kind of shooting they like to do.

If they’re into hunting then PCP, no contest.

If they just like to plink a lot then springer.

If they’re only shooting occasionally and dad’s doing most of the charging and loading magazines for them then PCP.

Plinking with a really good springer on a nice day is really addictive. Particularly if you’ve got fruit trees with an over abundance of plums or pie cherries that no one’s ever going to eat or yellow jackets that you can bait in with some old meat. You can do the same thing with a PCP too, but charging the rifle every 50 shots or so and reloading magazines is more trouble than just single loading a springer until you get tired of it
Oh, I get that. I've owned 3x as many springers as pcps. I've plinked with springers since the early 80's. All of the springers were German made except for 1 Brit gun. It'd just be interesting to see what they would choose. Since the youngest is 16, I'd hope they'd fill their own pcp.

Last edited:
I have about 7 pcp guns and for now it’s just too much baggage to enjoy. Love break barrels the best s
Simply the most challenging and fun. Charles
Yep. I really get that. No hate here, but I can shoot lights out with pcp and am just average with a springer. I'd just rather that accuracy be measured in mm.

Yep. I really get that. No hate here, but I can shoot lights out with pcp and am just average with a springer. I'd just rather that accuracy be measured in mm.
But honestly, how many people here really have to choose to have just one or the other?

I’m guessing most of us make the choice between springers and PCP’s two or more times a week depending on which one we feel like shooting on that particular day.

If we were to do a poll on how many airguns we have and what types, I’d guess most of us have at least a dozen and several different varieties.

As for myself, I'm a dyed in the wool, dedicated Springer guy. However, I also have, and occasionally shoot my CO2 rifles and pistols, my pumpers (my Dragonfly MK ll is my favorite here, although I also enjoy my Sheridan), and on to my springers . . . definitely my first love. First of all, you have to put real work into learning to shoot a springer well. There are no pumps and valves, just you, the pellets of choice and the rifle. When heading to the range, there are no tanks, compressors, or fill tube's. I only need myself, my gun and ammo. I enjoy working at shooting accurately. Let me share a quick story as an example. A number of years ago, a shooting buddy was bringing his RAW chassis rifle to shoot on a daily basis. WOW! Hole on hole, every time. That guy could shoot. He kept offering to let me shoot his expensive pcp RAW. I thought naw, I don't want to break it. Finally he broke me down and I took a few shots. That's right . . . HOLE ON HOLE, the first time! Now, for me anyway, I'll stick to my underlever springers. The challenges I guess are what make our sport fun for me. Orv.

I pretty much only pest with my air rifles. I have a few multi-pumps and I have one PCP rifle. The PCP is pure luxury -- all my pesting (so far) could easily be done with the multi-pumps. It's just so much easier and pleasant to pest with the PCP.

For me it basically came down to the issue of 1) I need to do pesting and 2) A PCP would make me going out and pesting more likely, and would make the job significantly easier.

It's a luxury brought on by having some excess wealth and wanting to preserve my own time.