Diana To wash & lube or not pellets for .177 a springer

I do it with some for my AG’s. Washing, tumbling and lube improved my accuracy slightly. I say slightly because I shot straight from the tin Crosman premiere and lost accuracy after 350ish pellets. With the washed, tumbled, and lubed I never lost accuracy over an entire 500 ct tin. I just did this test over the last week. It was probably the lead debris that caused the group expansion. Because early into each tin the performed similarly.

Brands like H&N don’t require the tumbling that Crosman or cheaper pellets require. The current tin of Apolo pellets I’m shooting required:
Wash
Tumble
Wash
Tumble
Lube

I do it with some for my AG’s. Washing, tumbling and lube improved my accuracy slightly. I say slightly because I shot straight from the tin Crosman premiere and lost accuracy after 350ish pellets. With the washed, tumbled, and lubed I never lost accuracy over an entire 500 ct tin. I just did this test over the last week. It was probably the lead debris that caused the group expansion. Because early into each tin the performed similarly.

Brands like H&N don’t require the tumbling that Crosman or cheaper pellets require. The current tin of Apolo pellets I’m shooting required:
Wash
Tumble
Wash
Tumble
Lube
Do you use soapy water?

The late Tom Holland.

Makes sense, do you just use a a plastic slotted container to wash them?
I use a plastic jar with a lid and rotate it around. Then a plastic strainer to rinse under hot water. I have a plastic strainer with larger holes that works better for 22 and 25. I got that one at the dollar store when stuff was still $1 there.

I never washed pellets for springers. Accuracy is generally good but there are some brands that could use a wash. I think sizing and weighing could have more of a factor in accuracy. I have seen accuracy slightly improved with use of a seating tool to have the pellet loaded to the same depth into the barrel every time. A bore snake to clean the barrel during a shooting session can make a difference.

I have used a wet tumbler for brass with 1 drop of dawn and some Lemme-Shine. It definitely polishes up the metal and no spots or deposits after drying. I haven't used it with lead pellets but will try it out this weekend with CP heavies and see if it works for pellets.

Reactions: yaya13
@Hateful McNasty gets some great performance from the pellets he conditions prior to shooting.
A fine tin of Walmart cphp. 177 ready for action .
inventory .jpg

Reactions: JaceSpace1369
I have tried a number of things over the last couple years. The things that I have persisted with are inspecting, weight sorting and using a bees wax to lubricate. I found that my TX 200 MK III in .177 shoots AA 10.3 the best. I weight sort to the 1/10 grain (i.e., 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5). Nearly all fall in 10.3 and 10.4. I cull the distorted or defective (very few) and bin them. Then once binned I lubricate them with a bees wax furniture polish. The lubrication adds very little after weight sorting.

Note there have been times I hit bad "lots" of AA 10.3s for some reason. However, it has been relatively rare. Benjamin 10.5 and H&N 9.57's have worked well but so far the AA 10.3s have been most consistent.