Trijicon MRO - circle or is it an exploding STAR?

I really liked on paper and reviews what the Trijicon MRO had to offer in red dot. However, after receiving and returning two of them ... its not a circle but an exploding star. I've had several people - young and old look at the so-called red dot on both. All have said it looks as I've stated ... an exploded star with cracked up lines branching out to what is NOT a circle. More like a bird dropping to be crude. I like the look of the housing, the field of view, and especially made in the USA ... but, I'm going likely back to Holosun for a closed system. Did I just get two bad ones or what are the rest of the Trijicon MRO owners out there seeing or should I say, tolerating on the clarity of that circular red dot?

I’m assuming you ordered an MRO-HD w/ the circle dot reticle then? If so, you and everyone else likely have an astigmatism, as red dots are known to be misshapen for those with an astigmatism.

That, or maybe they’re putting out lemons again? Early non-HD models (just regular ol’ MROs) made before the 89000 serial range were known to be especially bad. Frankly, while I like a LOT of what Trijicon puts out, the MRO line has always been one I’ve avoided. The Aimpoint PRO/Duty line has always performed MUCH better for me at a similar price point.

Any chance you & the others have an astigmatism?

I would look at the dot through a smart phone camera at 1x & see how it looks.

Also, rotate the optic as you looking at the dot is another trick. If the shape stays in the same position it's probably your eyes.

If it's due to astigmatism & you want a compact 1x optic then a prism is probably your best bet.

Okay, I tried both eyes separately. Well holy whatever it changed for me versus left and right eye. Left eye seen more of a circle. I rotated the optic and that did not change for anyone regardless of left and or right eye open in the family. Looking through a phone camera, looks like a circle. Been too many years since I had an eotech, but two recent holosuns were perfect circles. Hummm, interesting. 🤔 Thanks for the input everyone.

@ChickenDumpling , astigmatism can show up ungodly fast in your eyes. For me, my first symptom was my rmr micro sight no longer had a crisp dot(I'm talking in one week, was fine one weekend, next it was bad), I didn't think much of it since my aimpoints all looked great still, I sent the RMR back on their dime to check it out. They found nothing wrong with it. Wasn't one month later I started seeing some faint rays coming out on my aimpoints. It was maybe 5 weeks from RMR micro sight going south, to aimpoints going south. Just goes downhill from there. Nothing wrong with the sights, just my eyes going....

Ordered the non HD. Everyone in my family is seeing the same thing ... those with perfect vision with no glasses and those with glasses. Why I'm I not seeing that in the Holosun line? Something doesn't smell right here IMHO, its the sight, age, or lying eye exams. We are talking age teens to 50's.
You (and all others) very likely have an astigmatism. I have an astigmatism and I see Trijicon and Holosun the same way you are. The Trijicon at any useful brightness level will starburst pretty badly for me. The Holosun has always worked much better and given me a nice round dot.

Try reducing the brightness on the Trijicon. When I drop the brightness on mine I can get the starburst to mostly disappear, but then the brightness level tends to be a bit dim for outdoor use.

Reactions: Joedirt199
Going back to Holosun, but I really wanted to support Trijicon. I had the HS510C and it worked, but I wanted a closed off system so debris etc would not effect the projection of the dot. I just feel bad because I returned some red dots thinking there were defective. I'm defective :(
You might want to consider the holosun 512 instead of the 510

As I guy who has been using Reddots since the late 90's, They all look like a star or a comma or a blob. I looked past the blob and on to the target, placed the blob where I want the rd to go and press.

Red dots have never been a precision optic, they are for rapid Aquisition of a target where speed is the desired priority over accuracy. Quickly engaging single or multiple targets that may be stationary or moving while you maybe stationary or moving.

Prismatic sights have less of this effect.

To completely avoid the astigmatism but have a red dot the primary arms slx 1x prism is regarded as the best. They just released a Glx upgrade but most find it to be less true 1x

I've watched a few reviews on the GLX but as so far haven’t seen mention of the 1x issue.

Is the issue that it's greater than 1x or less than 1x?

I've watched a few reviews on the GLX but as so far haven’t seen mention of the 1x issue.

Is the issue that it's greater than 1x or less than 1x?
Slightly greater, and it mounts slightly higher.

Any 1x “scope” has some offset from what you’re seeing and they all seem to get worse the higher height over bore you have. Seen it with accupoints, atacrs, primary arms, etc. and all the 1x prisms I’ve had.

C_does mentions it, and I believe brass facts does as well.

I’ve given up on 1x prisms for the time being, but I think they’re a great option for most.

Reactions: Scouty
Slightly greater, and it mounts slightly higher.

Any 1x “scope” has some offset from what you’re seeing and they all seem to get worse the higher height over bore you have. Seen it with accupoints, atacrs, primary arms, etc. and all the 1x prisms I’ve had.

C_does mentions it, and I believe brass facts does as well.

I’ve given up on 1x prisms for the time being, but I think they’re a great option for most.

I'll re-watch the C_does video. Think I skimmed over it.

A common complaint about the SLX is that the image is less than 1x. I think I'd prefer greater but that might bother me as well.

Its your eyes you old fart!

Typically this will happen when on a brighter setting on lower end optics. But on higher end optics you will see this if you have anything wrong with your eyes. Nothing really to worry about, just something you can talk to your eye doctor about or ignore. Though I would talk to your eye doctor about it.

1727921040694.png

Im teasing of course :D