Tru-Oil price

Just went to rimfirecentral.com for the first time in years. It seems a lot has happened with this technique and it is now refered to as the "majic elixer" or something similar, and it is in somewhat disfavor by some for some reason. Anyways, head on over there and do some reading before you commit to anything. The guys name, who came up with it, is George, known as Noremf, and he is legend over there when it comes to wood finishing. That website has the most active wood stock re-finishers I have ever been to and still seems to be really into it. It is a great resource for that.
George is, without a doubt, a legend. As long as I can remember, he’s been the most vocal critic of this so-called Magic Elixir method. I can't quite recall his full reasoning, but it essentially came down to the simple truth: oil and water just don’t mix.

George is, without a doubt, a legend. As long as I can remember, he’s been the most vocal critic of this so-called Magic Elixir method. I can't quite recall his full reasoning, but it essentially came down to the simple truth: oil and water just don’t mix.
Huh? I don't remember much, but I have been on the internet since it was a thing, and I use to be into rimfires big time and that website, and the only reason I used the magic elixir is because he wrote about it. He didn't always hate it. And that procedure I wrote up above I learned from one of his postings. Like I said, there seems to be something that went down, and now a lot of people don't like it, but still a lot do. Whatever, when it first started, it was hugely popular for the time it saved and it always will be for people who don't have a shop to do their refinishing in.

Reactions: BABz58
Huh? I don't remember much, but I have been on the internet since it was a thing, and I use to be into rimfires big time and that website, and the only reason I used the magic elixir is because he wrote about it. He didn't always hate it. And that procedure I wrote up above I learned from one of his postings. Like I said, there seems to be something that went down, and now a lot of people don't like it, but still a lot do. Whatever, when it first started, it was hugely popular for the time it saved and it always will be for people who don't have a shop to do their refinishing in.
Hey Carl, quick rummage through the RFC and found George’s post from 2017. It’s sitting at #14 in the thread if you fancy a look https://www.rimfirecentral.com/thre...3866&nested_view=1&sortby=oldest#post-8493866

Reactions: PumaCarl
Hey Carl, quick rummage through the RFC and found George’s post from 2017. It’s sitting at #14 in the thread if you fancy a look https://www.rimfirecentral.com/thre...3866&nested_view=1&sortby=oldest#post-8493866
Well, there's proof that my memory of that whole thing was off. I stand corrected, but with an obvious poor memory of who wrote what. George is still a genius, but a perfectionist too, and however the reaction does or doesn't happen, the result is a very quick finish. One that I was very happy with, and it would seem a lot of other people are too. I really still don't remember him hating it when I originally tried it, or I know I wouldn't have, but i'm glad I did, so there's that.

Well, there's proof that my memory of that whole thing was off. I stand corrected, but with an obvious poor memory of who wrote what. George is still a genius, but a perfectionist too, and however the reaction does or doesn't happen, the result is a very quick finish. One that I was very happy with, and it would seem a lot of other people are too. I really still don't remember him hating it when I originally tried it, or I know I wouldn't have, but i'm glad I did, so there's that.
No worries, I’ve been wrong more often than not – just ask the wife, she’ll have a laugh! As for the method, well, whatever works for you. If you’ve had good results, more power to you. I’ve not tried it myself, though; I’ve always stuck with George’s take on it. Sad to say, he passed away in the summer of 2018, in case you hadn’t heard.

Thank you. When the snow starts flying in a few months, I may tackle My JTS stock.
You might want to reconsider this in light of the fact that I was wrong about Noremf being the guy that liked doing this method. He is an expert. At least go over to rimfirecentral and read up on it. I still liked the result, and the speed of it, but I was not that picky about it either. Having done it once, and more traditional methods before, I would still use it, but I can't wholeheartedly recommend it now either.

No worries, I’ve been wrong more often than not – just ask the wife, she’ll have a laugh! As for the method, well, whatever works for you. If you’ve had good results, more power to you. I’ve not tried it myself, though; I’ve always stuck with George’s take on it. Sad to say, he passed away in the summer of 2018, in case you hadn’t heard.
No, I hadn't heard. He was at another level. That site was just as much about stocks as the guns themselves, and the wood side of it kind of belonged to him. My father was into woodworking and had a big shop and three of my brothers were carpenters. I recognized George as someone who really knew their stuff. I'm still perplexed and pissed that I got all this backwards. I know this might sound sacrilegious but you might want to try the majic elixir at some point. It's fast. There is a reason why people are still arguing about it.

No, I hadn't heard. He was at another level. That site was just as much about stocks as the guns themselves, and the wood side of it kind of belonged to him. My father was into woodworking and had a big shop and three of my brothers were carpenters. I recognized George as someone who really knew their stuff. I'm still perplexed and pissed that I got all this backwards. I know this might sound sacrilegious but you might want to try the majic elixir at some point. It's fast. There is a reason why people are still arguing about it.
Sounds like your family’s got proper skills with woodworking too, so you’d spot someone who knows their craft!

I’m not the biggest fan of Tru-Oil, to be honest—much prefer a good deep-penetrating oil like Danish oil. Tru-Oil always ends up a bit blotchy for me, though I’m sure that’s down to my own handiwork! Tried every trick in the book, mind you, but still manage to make a hash of it, haha! I do like the look of it though.

Reactions: PumaCarl
Oh, I am not a fan of it either, using it the traditional way. I did one stock with it many decades ago and it took forever to do and to cure completely. That's why when I read about this procedure (whoever wrote it) I said, 'yup,' time to do the stock I was putting off. It was just an acceptable (to me) shortcut, that got me to do something that I would not have done otherwise, and the end result looked as good as other attempts I had seen. It wasn't anything that A.G.R. or Gunnertrones would have let out of the house but the woodchucks didn't care.

Reactions: Paul Be Careful
as I STATED , AND VERIFIED

opinions vary.
No opinions asked for. This thread was just to let people that buy the product. That I found quite the price difference between vendors.

AN FYI THREAD.

Not a Please tell me your thoughts on this product. It’s been sold and used by millions for 30 years. I’m sure over that course of time there has been plenty of opinions formed.

Reactions: Paul Be Careful
No opinions asked for. This thread was just to let people that buy the product. That I found quite the price difference between vendors.

AN FYI THREAD.

Not a Please tell me your thoughts on this product. It’s been sold and used by millions for 30 years. I’m sure over that course of time there has been plenty of opinions formed.
Thanks for the heads-up about the price difference and apologies for steering the thread off course.
Opinions do tend to crop up naturally—whether they’re requested or not. It’s just how these places work, I suppose.