Umarex M712 Magazine possible mod?

I've just acquired the M712 (my 1st CO2 pistol). Looks to be great for some indoor retirement fun. I've noticed most of their other magazines have a spring follower that locks in place allowing the BBs to be loaded via a pre-drilled hole that is exposed when locked back. Unfortunately the M712 mag lacks this hole and requires the follower be held back manually beyond the lock point to expose a rectangular opening for BB feeding. Arthritis makes this a bit of a bother.

Has anyone drilled an appropriate sized hole (don't know what that size would be) in the magazine groove to be able to load the BBs when the follower is locked in place? Not concerned if that would reduce mag capacity. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Including if this is a dumb idea and won't work.

Thanks

Last edited:
Mini update - I have a second magazine on order to use as my 'proof of concept' guinea pig. I plan on picking a drill size just slightly larger than a BB and to countersink the first few mms to accept the tip of my Umarex speed loader. That's the plan anyway. I will report back on the success/failure of the project.
I have the same problem, with the 712 as well as a couple of others. It might be tough to load bbs into the mag if there was an obstruction like a drill bit. Post back and let us know if you have come up with a solution. I tried making a wire clip that would temporarily hold the follower down, but it didn't work very well