Umarex notos -Longer barrel, less speed?

Bone stock Notos and as my first mod I did the FX 500mm barrel kit. I chose the superior heavy liner as I plan to mainly shoot slugs. I haven't touched anything else but the barrel swap.

So I was shooting 15.4 gamo pellets @740ish and 23gr NSA slugs @ 650ish. After the 500mm kit I lost quite a bit of speed. The 15.4s are 660ish now and the 23gr are 550ish.

Any one have an idea as to why? More curious as to understanding why the loss in speed.

I plan to fully port and big bottle/reg swap too along with custom spring and hammer stuff too at a later point. So I know I'll pick up speed at a later point.

You are running out of air before the pellet leaves the barrel. The Notos is VERY low on power. Most folks actually start off with a bottle/plenum mod first to get a decent shot count and velocity.
Look up a member here named Firewalker. He offers help and will mod your Notos if you ship it to him (for a fee, of course). He's a good guy and knows the Notos inside and out.
Good luck!
Recently got a notos, not op, but Im so curious about this! Is it worth modding to add a bottle? Or just invest in a 3000 psi buddy tank?

I have a bonestock notos coming in and am quickly going down the rabbithole of notos modding, but unsure what one can do to em.

Reactions: daddypaddy
That's me! 🤣

I've been working with c88machining to develop his kits to be as efficient as possible but with a stock Notos, you don't have enough air being released to overcome friction, thus you get slower speeds.

Herd is my kitted out 700mm FX barreled, fully ported Notos, shooting 14.39gr at 1050fps.

View attachment 480678
Hello! Im also a new notos owner and thinking about modding my notos if to benefit it in the future for my intended purposes: hunting small game, as well as some target practice fun! Ammo for my rifles is annoyingly expensive, plus Ive just taken a swan dive into airguns and modding haha.

My wallet hates me but Ive not had such fun in so long, and another tool in my arsenal

Reactions: Firewalker
Recently got a notos, not op, but Im so curious about this! Is it worth modding to add a bottle? Or just invest in a 3000 psi buddy tank?

I have a bonestock notos coming in and am quickly going down the rabbithole of notos modding, but unsure what one can do to em.
just get a small buddy bottle and keep the slim notos profile. trigger job, port your airways, polish the front end and metal to metal contacts on the hammer, lighten hammer a tiny bit, remove some aluminum from behind the hammer spring tensioner screw, shim your springs, and make sure your barrel o-rings are undamaged.. again, make sure your barrel o-rings are not damaged! make your own moderator if you want true silence.
IMG_6527.jpeg

here’s mine-
15-23fpe with 14.3grain and up to 27.6 fpe with 25grain jts on a stock length barrel and i’ll bet anyone with a $150+ silencer that my gun is at least 5 decibel quieter than theirs.

Reactions: EmersonWaved
Hello! Im also a new notos owner and thinking about modding my notos if to benefit it in the future for my intended purposes: hunting small game, as well as some target practice fun! Ammo for my rifles is annoyingly expensive, plus Ive just taken a swan dive into airguns and modding haha.

My wallet hates me but Ive not had such fun in so long, and another tool in my arsenal

Try Crosman Premier Hollow Points 14.39gr, they shoot surprisingly well and are $7.00 for 500 shots at Walmart

I agree with this ☝️. I think you are completely wasting your time venturing down the slug route with that setup. It will never push them hard enough to reap any benefits. I get it people are obsessed with slugs.
Well I make slugs so I always have slugs on hand. I gotta order or go to the store for pellets. So was trying to make the airgun more convenient. Magically tho the slugs are same hole currently even at the these slow of speeds. Downside tho is the squirrels and birds can easily dodge them. Plus I never take the time to sort pellets so it's irritating to have flyers. Slugs however are pretty dang consistent. I just started my modding on the Notos with the barrel first to stabilize the slugs better. Now I just gotta start increasing the speed.

just get a small buddy bottle and keep the slim notos profile. trigger job, port your airways, polish the front end and metal to metal contacts on the hammer, lighten hammer a tiny bit, remove some aluminum from behind the hammer spring tensioner screw, shim your springs, and make sure your barrel o-rings are undamaged.. again, make sure your barrel o-rings are not damaged! make your own moderator if you want true silence.
View attachment 480860
here’s mine-
15-23fpe with 14.3grain and up to 27.6 fpe with 25grain jts on a stock length barrel and i’ll bet anyone with a $150+ silencer that my gun is at least 5 decibel quieter than theirs.
Thanks man. I i had been weighing options as it seemed the bottle mods looked too cumbersome vs the nice stock slim profile.

I will make sure to protect them o rings too, Ive heard its possible to get gashes in em during removal of certain stages of dissembly and reassembly

How much fpe do you feel is enough for slugs?

Dave
I don’t think you are really going to reap the higher benefits of the bc at the realistically short ranges the notos is effective at. Not really a fpe thing just unnecessary when shooting maybe 50 yards. It might just be me too though as I don’t get modding the thing into a regular size rifle. It’s supposed to be a micro carbine 🤷‍♂️

I don’t think you are really going to reap the higher benefits of the bc at the realistically short ranges the notos is effective at. Not really a fpe thing just unnecessary when shooting maybe 50 yards. It might just be me too though as I don’t get modding the thing into a regular size rifle. It’s supposed to be a micro carbine 🤷‍♂️
The thread title has to do with a longer barrel…..not a micro carbine. Modding what one has is a common theme in airgunning.

Dave

Thanks man. I i had been weighing options as it seemed the bottle mods looked too cumbersome vs the nice stock slim profile.

I will make sure to protect them o rings too, Ive heard its possible to get gashes in em during removal of certain stages of dissembly and reassembly o p

I will make sure to protect them o rings too, Ive heard its possible to get gashes in em during removal of certain stages of dissembly and reassembly
no prob, i bring up the barrel o-ring because they’re really easy to damage when removing the barrel or putting the barrel back on. it would be what i check first if i see fps drops.

Reactions: EmersonWaved