Umarex Umarex Notos

Thought I'd show a group at 25 yds (shot today) from a new Notos I got from AOA a few days ago. This air rifle is accurate. It shoots the JSB Hades pellets really well. I've shot several groups around .2" at 25 yds since I've had it. Exceptional in my opinion for a $260 air rifle. My FX barely shoots better. Problems: I had to work the trigger over from plus 5# down to 2 1/2#. Took some time, but the second stage is very crisp and nice now. Second problem is the magazine. Finally got it to run two pellets through before jamming. That's the best I've got it to work so far. Ordered two different aftermarket mags. Hopefully they work better. Single shot tray works okay. 20PPC

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_1004.jpg

I was just shooting 50 yards Sunday.. with my shorten notos with pistol grips and open sights..I shot at the 30 yard 3"spinner and missed and got frustrated so I figured it can't get worse than that and I was actually surprised that I was regularly hitting the 50 yards..I was shaking so it's not the guns fault..
about the magazine, I have 4 factory magazine and not a single issue..I wonder if they are from different batches?
glad you are enjoying your notos..
Mark

I was just shooting 50 yards Sunday.. with my shorten notos with pistol grips and open sights..I shot at the 30 yard 3"spinner and missed and got frustrated so I figured it can't get worse than that and I was actually surprised that I was regularly hitting the 50 yards..I was shaking so it's not the guns fault..
about the magazine, I have 4 factory magazine and not a single issue..I wonder if they are from different batches?
glad you are enjoying your notos..
Mark

I've heard from only 2 people that haven't had issues with factory mags. May I ask what pellets you are shooting?

Reactions: markhooper
I've heard from only 2 people that haven't had issues with factory mags. May I ask what pellets you are shooting?
crossman premier hollow point 14 grain mostly.. but it does well with jsb 18 grain round nose, honestly I can't tell any difference between the two with this pistol at 10-50 yards..I also shoot jsb jumbo monster redesigned 25 grain pellets and they hit much harder but out at 50 yards they are around 6" low out of both the umarex notos and the hatsan velox.
I like the length of the velox a lot better but I like the weight of the umarex notos.. hopefully you can get the air tube shortening worked out, even if we have to get some more air tubes so you can perfect the machining process..
honestly I prefer a pistol 12" or less, I am sure it is why I like the hatsan velox, but I don't appreciate the air gauge on the left side sticking out..I wish it was on the right side so the protrusion is in line with the magazine tray and the bolt.. do you know if a plug is available? and I could machine and thread it to the other side?
also I was looking at the reximix rpa, I think.. wood stock and pr plastic.. wondering if a straighter grip is available anywhere as it looks like it is too slanted and likely a straight grip would get it down to around 12" .
Mark

The hoopla concerning the Notos attracted me. Having been born a curmudgeon and spending over 70yrs honing my edge, I figured it was BS. So, I bought one to prove all of you wrong. I have been getting about .2-.3"ctc at 30m. OK maybe you guys are on to something.

Since we know the mags don't work, I bought mags from Maple even before the gun arrived. Since I seem to have been in error, I tried the factory mag. It works fine with HN FTT. (The Maple mag is prettier, and the maple SS tray is brilliant....kinda like the SS tray for the HW100.

Now I need to fix that gawd awful trigger but otherwise, I am completely astonished by this carbine.

Reactions: 20PPC
Just received my Notos today! Hopefully I can try it out soon.

I saw some folks commenting on adjusting the tightness of the screw in the magazine to make it work better. Sounds like too tight or too loose can be an issue.

I now understand why people complain about the trigger! What do people do to improve it? Only lighten up the set screw? Or are we doing additional mods?

I had issues with the factory mags. They were stiff going into position and I’d often insert them to far. They have both loosened up going into the breach and the magnets click when they slide into position.
Have a Sig Romeo5 red dot on it for my wifes Grouse hunting gun. I use it for Red Squirrel population control. It likes Air Arms 15.89 the best but Hades work great also.

I am finding that the first stage is starting to have a grinding hesitation in the middle of first stage travel. I wish I had been proactive and rounded the tip of the adjusting screw off as it has clearly started to plow a divot in the lower sear. A little rounding and good lube upon receiving the gun would have likely prevented that. I was too eager to get some shots thru it. Now I suspect I will be completely dismantling the trigger group to smooth that surface.

The second stage is not that bad, heavy, but fairly smooth. Notos is very light and hard to bench, and the trigger is a major issue for me. For day in and out use (not accuracy testing) I use a light 2X pistol scope in "scout" position. Weight is 4.9# in that configuration.

Someone commented that the Maple mags let pellets slip backwards. I tried challenging the swing out SS tray and found that to be correct. It works well if the gun is held slightly muzzle down but I can no longer recommend that SS tray.

I'll have to buy another one of these and pimp it along the lines of Firewalker's excellent research. This one will stay as light lively as it was delivered.

I am finding that the first stage is starting to have a grinding hesitation in the middle of first stage travel. I wish I had been proactive and rounded the tip of the adjusting screw off as it has clearly started to plow a divot in the lower sear. A little rounding and good lube upon receiving the gun would have likely prevented that. I was too eager to get some shots thru it. Now I suspect I will be completely dismantling the trigger group to smooth that surface.

The second stage is not that bad, heavy, but fairly smooth. Notos is very light and hard to bench, and the trigger is a major issue for me. For day in and out use (not accuracy testing) I use a light 2X pistol scope in "scout" position. Weight is 4.9# in that configuration.

Someone commented that the Maple mags let pellets slip backwards. I tried challenging the swing out SS tray and found that to be correct. It works well if the gun is held slightly muzzle down but I can no longer recommend that SS tray.

I'll have to buy another one of these and pimp it along the lines of Firewalker's excellent research. This one will stay as light lively as it was delivered.
I spent quite a bit of time (very carefully) to get the trigger to an acceptable level. I used 600 grit and some Arkansas whetstones (being careful to not round the top edge of the sear) that I've used for years on cf triggers. So far it has stayed at 2 1/2# with a smooth first stage and crisp second stage. I'm really liking this little rifle except for the mags. Best of luck on your trigger. 20PPC

Reactions: mandn and Star7
I simply adjusted the trigger screw a little and it's decent now. So you can just take that trigger screw all the way out and smooth the end up and a little lube on the end? I might also put a dot of threadlock on since it seems a bit loose.

I measured shots out of the box and it’s 18-19 fpe depending on weight. I didn’t shoot anything bigger like 18-20+ grains. Seems good as is with no power adjustments. And my scope appears to be perfectly centered for windage right from the go.
It’s a little bit louder than I would prefer for my yard, but not bad for the power.

I have been looking at these. is there a lot of aftermarket stuff you can do to these. I just like to tinker and work on stuff as much as I like shooting it.
The Notos is the ultimate "transformer" toy. The threads, here and elsewhere, take it to incredible heights. If we just leave it alone (with a little trigger fettling) it fills its niche better than most.